changing car brake pads - Citroen Xsara Picasso

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I'm pretty good at basic mechanics so thought I'd give this a try and save lots of money on garage fees

however, when I try and determine which pads I need there seem to be several listed for my car, all slightly different sizes and spec.

how would you usually determine the correct ones - take them out first? Obviously once I remove them I can't drive the car!

Also, how do I tell if they are Bosch or Lucus calipersthat the pads fit in?

Easiest way is to just stick the reg number into a site like this

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

Not bad prices if you order from them either.

Also, if you're replacing the rear pads (only applies to rear discs obviously), check to see if you require a piston wind back tool, as some cars require the piston to twist at the same time as being pushed back to release the handbrake ratcheting system.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Easiest way is to just stick the reg number into a site like this

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

Not bad prices if you order from them either.

Also, if you're replacing the rear pads (only applies to rear discs obviously), check to see if you require a piston wind back tool, as some cars require the piston to twist at the same time as being pushed back to release the handbrake ratcheting system.
done that - it gives me 4 different options for my car - all different sizes - I need to know exactly what size I have - can this only be done by taking the pads out first and looking at them?

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with that car. But a google search to see if I could find something helpful was a bit worrying. There seems to be a lot of people with the same issue, and it looks like a lot are just taking the parts to a motor factors :sad: So this may be your only option, alternatively if you give Citroen the VIN then they should be able to tell you which are fitted (hopefully)

Tommy2

Über Member
Buy all 4 sets and tell them you will return the 3 you don't need, they will likely have them all in stock and if they can't determine which ones you need they should be fine with accepting returns, they would accept returns even if you got the right ones then changed your mind.
Thats is the option we use in the trade.

Levo-Lon

Guru
if reg and chassis number are giving you 4 pad options you need to take the pads out " one side" and trace draw outline etc onto paper to compare..photo and any serial number..
some cars have several makes fitted in any one build run,, as its French you may have even more lol

screenman

Legendary Member
It's a Citroën...

The required pads will be the most expensive ones on the list....that are out of stock.

My Citroen spares were often cheaper than buying Ford spares and I have never had a problem buying spares for Citroens or any other foreign car for that matter.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Front pads are a doddle to change. It's back ones I take to the garage. So long as you have the correct winding tool you should be able to wind the piston in.

iwantanewbike

Über Member
I've usually found the vendors to be very helpful.... Can't remember who I bought mine off but they asked me to take a picture of the calliper and from that they told me which ones i needed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Buy them from the dealer, who'll identify them from the VIN. Many dealers have an online presence, which is easy and cheaper.

One would like to hope that you have managed to resolve this in the intervening 6 months.

tyred

Legendary Member
It seems to be a PSA speciality to use countless different braking systems even for the same model year.

Top Bottom