Changing Cassette and Chain - Idiot Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've decided to have a go at changing the cassette and chain on my hybrid. I am confident that I have picked the correct cassette and chain, but the question is, do I need to buy a chain link as well for the chain?

This is the chain I am going to buy http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-x8-93-8-speed-chain/

This was the chain link I was looking at, though there are two options, either 7.3mm or 7.1mm?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-78-speed-chain-links/

I'm guessing I only need the chain link if I want the quick release?

Words of wisdom from the wise would be appreciated :rolleyes:

potsy

Rambler
It comes with one, they call it a 'missing link' :thumbsup:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yep, as potsy says Chris. That is the chain I bought for the old MTB and it definitely comes with one. You'll probably need a chain splitter to take off a few links depending on the bike though.

OP
OP
Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yep, as potsy says Chris. That is the chain I bought for the old MTB and it definitely comes with one. You'll probably need a chain splitter to take off a few links depending on the bike though.

Cheers Mo, got all the tools on order - splitter, whip and remover - all I now need is a bit of mechanical sense ^_^

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I need to change mine...got all the bits but too scared to start just in case I cock it up!
Must admit, I was a wee bit nervous but apart from the lockring on the old cassette being a bit tough to undo, it all went quite easily.

OP
OP
Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
2967187 said:
If the cassette has the same range of teeth, biggest to smallest, make the new chain the same number of teeth as the old. Not the same length though, as the old one will be stretched.

Good job you posted this, otherwise I would have probably just laid them side by side and made it same length

Remember, YOUTUBE is your friend in all fettling matters :thumbsup:

Cheers, bookmarked it.

potsy

Rambler
And remember to double check your counting as it's easier to take one more link off than add a link if you do make a mistake, also I get into the habit of keeping the spare bits of new chain and the old quick links for the spares box.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
just got a KMC link for my new Shimano chain 7.3mm

it's a hard squeeze to join the 2 halves
I've seen suggestions of either a pair of pliers across the link ends
or
with the brakes 'on' .....stand on the pedals

Top Bottom