Changing Cassette and Chain - Idiot Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just got a KMC link for my new Shimano chain 7.3mm

it's a hard squeeze to join the 2 halves
I've seen suggestions of either a pair of pliers across the link ends
or
with the brakes 'on' .....stand on the pedals
THESE are the KMC pliers but they're not really needed IME.

Fitting is simple, but for removal the trick is to squeeze the plates together while pulling apart. They can be a faff but I've not needed the tool yet, that said if you've got £8 going spare fill your boots.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
Must admit, I was a wee bit nervous but apart from the lockring on the old cassette being a bit tough to undo, it all went quite easily.

agreed - did mine this evening ---- with chain whip and lock-ring removal socket [ and a large adjustable wrench]

the cog retaining lock-ring was a barsteward to get 'cracked' - it has serrated teeth -------- :angry::angry:

For future reference, the only way a casstte can wear out is if you let a chain grow too old on it. Replace your chains regularly and your cassette (and chain rings) will last for many years. Youll be needing a chain wear indicator.

For future reference, the only way a casstte can wear out is if you let a chain grow too old on it. Replace your chains regularly and your cassette (and chain rings) will last for many years. Youll be needing a chain wear indicator.
Depends how many miles you do a year I did over 8,000 miles last year and got through at least one cassette and chain (well rather 2 or 3 cogs on it), but I changed my gearing a lot early last year so its difficult to say, my middle ring needs replacing having done about 8,000 miles from new, however I am hoping to up grade from 8 to 9sp soon so I will get a 9sp cassette and chain and use the cogs from that till I can afford the shifters, then its just a meteor of changing the shifters and the make the 8sp cassette to a 9sp.

Just put a new chain on my summer wheels, I have a replacement cassette but thankfully I dont need it, at a guess the old cassette done 3500miles, which is about norm for me for a no skip change :thumbsup:

I don't know what chain/ cassette a mate was using he just got it changed at 20,000miles!

Just put a new chain on my summer wheels, I have a replacement cassette but thankfully I dont need it, at a guess the old cassette done 3500miles, which is about norm for me for a no skip change :thumbsup:

I don't know what chain/ cassette a mate was using he just got it changed at 20,000miles!
They can last a long time in combination as they wear together, I suspect I could get many more out of the combination thats currently on, I have done over 6,500 on my current set up, apart from change the rear 21-24-28 to 21-23-25-28 when I upgraded from 7sp to 8sp, but they dont get as much wear as the 15-17-19 gears, as my avg gear " is just over 64" 42x17 or 52x21 would be the most used.

Top Bottom