Changing cassette and chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bungyb69

bungyb69

Once you get going there will be stopping you.

nothing is more pleasurable than doing the job yourself.

I still use bike shops but only for hydraulic brakes which are out of my comfort zone.
I'll second that! Hydraulic brakes are defo for professionals! I had to adjust the gears! Was smiling from ear to ear

Gunk

Guru
If you’ve got the right kit, free wheels and cassettes are easy to swap over. If you’re doing a lot of repairs and maintenance it’s worth investing in proper tools, even something like a proper cable cutter and chain pliers makes the job so much easier.

Am just starting to learn more about wheel trueing/building.
Have long serviced wheel bearings.
Have no problems servicing headsets (many of mine have loose balls) so all i can think that i now need professional help for is fitting a new headset. And have never yet needed to do that.

OP
OP
bungyb69

bungyb69

Update guys if put it back to a proper gravel bike and given it a proper service from head to toe

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_205227.jpg
    IMG_20200628_205227.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 6

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Update guys if put it back to a proper gravel bike and given it a proper service from head to toe
Gawd that looks fugly and uncomfortable. :laugh:

midlife

Guru
When I worked in a bike shop back in the 70's, if customers bought a "block and chain" from us we would fit it for free. Got pretty good at it in the end, even if I had to tap off the lock ring and take the freewheel body off in a vice :smile:. 15 mins while they wandered around the shop buying a puncture repair outfit or something that made us a bit. And they came back :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When I worked in a bike shop back in the 70's, if customers bought a "block and chain" from us we would fit it for free. Got pretty good at it in the end, even if I had to tap off the lock ring and take the freewheel body off in a vice :smile:. 15 mins while they wandered around the shop buying a puncture repair outfit or something that made us a bit. And they came back :smile:
Aye I would have been one of those customers, I find I can still get that done today but only if I take just the wheel in, if I try taking the bike in they're often 'too busy' but hand over a wheel and they're OK.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Going by what some of you have posted I must be a pro mechanic as I build my own wheels, service/repair hydraulic brakes,
general bike maintenance & fettling.
I'm an ex-Toyota technician (AKA grease monkey);).
I like think of myself as a fairly competent amateur who still has a lot to learn.:angel: :whistle:

I prefer cup & cone bearings over press-fit ones.
I find Hope Brakes easy & straight forward to work on and the minimal special tooling doesn't cost the earth, although I would prefer it if they didn't use DOT brake fluid as it's hygroscopic.
They are easy to bleed compared to some other makes and you can even use a pressure bleed system (similar to the 'Gunsons easy bleed' for cars.)

Top Bottom