changing cassette/shifter??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
that's the whole point of my thread... I dont know what I need :rolleyes:

It is confusing. To keep costs as low as possible, I'd stick with more or less the same setup you've got. But you do want an easier gear so you'll need to change the cassette. When you change the cassette you'll need to change the chain and as advised as you have a short cage, you'll need to change that too. All these things can be found on google (or ebay) with:

Tiagra 9 speed cassette
Tiagra derailleur cage
Tiagra 9 speed chain

I don't know about Tiagra as I run 105 series on my bike but I wouldn't change the shifters unless you have to, a set of 105s recently cost me £200 to change as I'd bust one.

albion

Guru
chainreaction now have 11-27 Tiagra on pre-order so I'd certainly start with that for certainty.No other changes would be needed though I'd avoid using your 50T front 27T rear combination to doubly make sure

martint235

Dog on a bike
chainreaction now have 11-27 Tiagra on pre-order so I'd certainly start with that for certainty.No other changes would be needed though I'd avoid using your 50T front 27T rear combination to doubly make sure

Not due in till September iirc. I looked at that one and discounted it!

You could always upgrade to 105 kit!!!! I hear there's a Euromillions sometime soon!! :rolleyes:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=387

12-27 due in stock today (6/6/11).

I've run a 12-27 cassette on exactly the same tiagra setup as you have.
You shouldnt need to change anything hardware wise, but need to be a little careful with the adjustment of the rear mech stop limits.

Running on the 50/27 is possible (just), without the mech smacking into the cassette, but it is very close, and I certainly wouldnt recommend it as a normal running gear.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Either as Albion said to just change the cassette to one with a 27T if an 8% lower gearing is adequate, or since the setup is Shimano, to change the rear mech and cassette to their mountain bike spec. components - the choice is plentiful, and you will have a lot less to worry about limitations (wrap range, max rear cog size) now and later.

For example, to make a real difference in 9 speed with proven components while economically, you could consider e.g.:
1) Deore Cassette 11-32 or 11-34 for £16.99
2) Acera long cage rear mech (will work fine with 9 speed chain/cassette despite what the spec says) for £19.99
3) KMC x9 chain (with the advantage over Shimano chain of having the KMC missing link) for £14.99
all incl p&p. You might even be abble to find the above for less if you shop around.

ps I wouldn't order ANY Shimano road series rear mech to work with e.g. 32T cassettes without careful measurements beforehand - the official maximum sprocket size they can handle is 27T irrespective of cage length since it is the parallelogram size (and hanger geometry etc.) that count.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

wow September, the bike (and me) is almost ready for hibernation by then :rolleyes: :biggrin:

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Either as Albion said to just change the cassette to one with a 27T if an 8% lower gearing is adequate, or since the setup is Shimano, to change the rear mech and cassette to their mountain bike spec. components - the choice is plentiful, and you will have a lot less to worry about limitations (wrap range, max rear cog size) now and later.

For example, to make a real difference in 9 speed with proven components while economically, you could consider e.g.:
1) Deore Cassette 11-32 or 11-34 for £16.99
2) Acera long cage rear mech (will work fine with 9 speed chain/cassette despite what the spec says) for £19.99
3) KMC x9 chain (with the advantage over Shimano chain of having the KMC missing link) for £14.99
all incl p&p. You might even be abble to find the above for less if you shop around.

ps I wouldn't order ANY Shimano road series rear mech to work with e.g. 32T cassettes without careful measurements beforehand - the official maximum sprocket size they can handle is 27T irrespective of cage length since it is the parallelogram size (and hanger geometry etc.) that count.

tumblr_ljwmv7NwHI1qdgeq8.gif

thank you for taking the time to find out all the info I need! It seems that you know women as well as bikes :tongue:

martint235

Dog on a bike
http://www.chainreac...spx?ModelID=387

12-27 due in stock today (6/6/11).

I've run a 12-27 cassette on exactly the same tiagra setup as you have.
You shouldnt need to change anything hardware wise, but need to be a little careful with the adjustment of the rear mech stop limits.

Running on the 50/27 is possible (just), without the mech smacking into the cassette, but it is very close, and I certainly wouldnt recommend it as a normal running gear.

That's weird, I follow that link and it says due in 06/09/11. Weird. Anyway I'm sure it must be available elsewhere on t'interweb

Top Bottom