Changing cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Well the chain checker says its not worn to 0.5, so ill keep that on for now.

With regards to chain length, im looking go go from 32 biggest to 25. Is there a set amount i shoukd be removing?

I'd remove 1 or two links, but it's not necessary, your derailleur will handle the extra links with no problem, and if you later decide you are going somewhere hilly and want to put the old cassette back on you can.

Alsoooo, ive seen an ultegra 9 speed cassette for £4 more, would that work/be any better than the cheap one?

I wouldn't, you're not going to get any extra life out of it and it'll be a few grams heavier thats it. Just out of curiousity though, where are you getting the cassettes from, the ultegra ones I've seen are usually twice the price of the Sora equivalent (£13 vs £28).

I'd remove 1 or two links, but it's not necessary, your derailleur will handle the extra links with no problem, and if you later decide you are going somewhere hilly and want to put the old cassette back on you can.

That is just not good advice.

Well, firstly you say you would do something that is not necessary. You would do X but the OP need not do it. Why not? At the one end of the scale the advice doesn't inspire me with confidence and at the other end, it is dishonest.

Secondly, how do you know the RD can handle the extra links. You have not stated how many links have become redundant and, you have no idea whatsoever whether the current set-up is already over-compensating, under-compensating or just right.

Thirdly, riding with too many links can cause the chain to get stuck somewhere and rip the RD out. It is dangerous if this happens in the wrong place.

[QUOTE 4739398, member: 9609"]But there is not any extra links, and the new cassette is asking less of the RD than the original cassette. So if it was working fine before there is no need to alter anything. maybe If the chain was a little long for the original 11t then may be you could take one link out, but the new small is 12t. so basically if it was OK in the original 11t then it will certainly be happy in the 12t[/QUOTE]

You are of course right if one is dealing with a good setup to start with. I'm more worried about the noisy drivetrain and the mechanic's advice that it was due to the combo. We don't know if the chain was noisy because the chain was so long that the RD had run out of swing or, if the chain was so short that the RD was pulled forward and the jockey pulley was attempting to derail, causing the characteristic grinding noise.

Partial advice in a case of uncertainty just doesn't cut the grade. I think the OP deserves a bit more explanation after being questioned about the nature of the noise.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Just out of curiousity though, where are you getting the cassettes from, the ultegra ones I've seen are usually twice the price of the Sora equivalent (£13 vs £28).

Was just looking on wiggle, the size im after is the most expensive hg50, but the cheapest for ultegra, for some reason.

Quite a lot of different advice here, is there anything else I can offer to clarify anything? Pictures of the drivechain or anything?

I have read a few bits about how to measure a chain, would I be better off to just buy the new cassette and then measure the chain according to that?

arch684

Veteran
Was just looking on wiggle, the size im after is the most expensive hg50, but the cheapest for ultegra, for some reason.

Quite a lot of different advice here, is there anything else I can offer to clarify anything? Pictures of the drivechain or anything?

I have read a few bits about how to measure a chain, would I be better off to just buy the new cassette and then measure the chain according to that?
Yes fit the cassette and measure the chain then you know the chain is the correct length.If your not sure there are lots of video's on youtube

Ajax Bay

Guru
I was told in the lbs that the chain + cassette combo is whats causing it to be 'noisy'
. . . on wiggle, the size im after is the most expensive hg50, but the cheapest for ultegra, for some reason.
Quite a lot of different advice here, . . . Pictures of the drivechain . . .

"would I be better off to just buy the new cassette and then measure the chain according to that" Yes
Persuade us about the Ultegra cassette by sharing a link, please. The HG50 is £13.
What is the model of rear derailleur?
The different advice is new chain or not (see posts and discussion) and whether to remove links for the new cassette (reduced large sprocket). If you're going to buy a new chain (I have said unnecessary) then cut it to the correct length. If not, an image of your chain from the right hand side would be good, with the chain on small and small, and another on large and large. Left side pedal at 3 o'clock. and rear wheel valve at 12 o'clock. That will allow us to take a better informed view as to whether chain length (or maybe derailleur capacity) is "causing it to be noisy".

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Rear derailleur is rd r3000, 2 pictures of the chain.

Attachments

• 20170328_125906.jpg
    20170328_125906.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20170328_125815.jpg
    20170328_125815.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 50

Ajax Bay

Guru
OK that chain's a tad short so if you replace the 11-32 cassette with a 12-25 and use the current chain (NB 300 miles use) removal of only one link (one inch) will leave with a chain the correct length. Wiggle site seems to be down (for me) so I can't see your Ultegra find.
Is the chain 'noisy' on all sprockets or just some? I assume you have already fine tuned the indexing.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Noisy on all sprokets, either chainring. Its been to the lbs and 2 different people have re-indexed it, along with me doing it before hand. It was at that point they decided the chain and cassette "dont match well". Whatever that means.

I apologise too, Ive just seen I put £4, I meant 7. The hg50 is 20 the ultegra is 27, for the 12-25 at least, for a 12-23 they go as cheap as £9 for the hg50.

I think Ill just go for the cheap cassette and do the chain as you suggest, (thank you)im not fussed about having a better named cassette and 50 grams isnt going to have any effect on my kind of riding, just wasnt sure if it would be more hardwearing.

si_c

Guru
Well, firstly you say you would do something that is not necessary. You would do X but the OP need not do it. Why not? At the one end of the scale the advice doesn't inspire me with confidence and at the other end, it is dishonest.
Secondly, how do you know the RD can handle the extra links. You have not stated how many links have become redundant and, you have no idea whatsoever whether the current set-up is already over-compensating, under-compensating or just right.
Thirdly, riding with too many links can cause the chain to get stuck somewhere and rip the RD out. It is dangerous if this happens in the wrong place.
That's a fair point. I phrased things badly and on top of that I was making some assumptions in there that may not necessarily be the case.

Top Bottom