Changing crankset ratio, need help choosing mechs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheule

Hello again all :hello:

Yesterday I completed my first step to restoring my MTB - that is, I've stripped everything off it. She now looks like this:

IMAG0038.jpg

The more astute among you will notice that the BB is still attached - my tool kit from Edinburgh Cycles doesn't arrive until Wednesday and I'm hoping it's got the right bits :tongue: Anyway, to the point...

I've changed the crankset from 42/34/24T to 48/38/28T, stripped the old unknown make bottom pull front mech, and stripped the old Sunrace M50 from the rear. I'm not sure if it's long cage/ short cage / cage fighting...still very new to this. What I need is some compatible bits to replace the old gubbins.

I've probably left out a lot of info you might need, feel free to ask more questions and I'll do my best to answer or take photos of the offending bits. :wub:

e-rider

crappy member
that seatpost looks dodgy. Unless you intend to fit slick road tyres and only use the bike for road riding; you'd have been better off with the old chainset ratios!

OP
OP
Cheule

Cheule

Dodgy? Seems fine to my admittedly untrained eye...can you elaborate? The increased gear ratios are needed as it's primarily a commuter bike on mainly flat roads. On downhill sections I was spinning out so I need stronger gears.

Oh and to answer the question about the tyres, I'm fitting the bike with a set of these puppies...

IMAG0053.jpg

EDIT: Oh, the rear cassette is a 32-13T 8 speed. Nearly forgot.

e-rider

crappy member
OK, your gear choice will be fine for road riding (commuting).

The seat post is a really cheap horrible design that I thought disappeared about 25 years ago. Basically, the clamp isn't part of the post but seperate and holds the saddle to the post. Really crap design and even £8 posts don't come like that these days.

Nice tyres - perfect for your intended use.

OP
OP
Cheule

Cheule

Right, after doing much calculations, I've plumped for a Deore M591 Conventional swing for the front and a Deore M591 for the rear too. Here's hoping I don't blow anything up when they arrive. :laugh:

Top Bottom