Changing Di2 Deurailler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The 10 speed di2 Ultegra deurailler is broken and is now obsolete. I am going to change it to the new 11 speed Ultegra deurailler.

I am not totally sure how to do this but Im willing to try.

I know I will need to find a wheel that will take an 11 speed cassette and an 11 speed chain. I dont think I will need to change the levers.

The thing I am not sure about is do I need to change the front deurailler as well?

Any help will be appreciated.

Sounds expensive...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The 10 speed di2 Ultegra deurailler is broken and is now obsolete. I am going to change it to the new 11 speed Ultegra deurailler.

I know I will need to find a wheel that will take an 11 speed cassette and an 11 speed chain. I dont think I will need to change the levers.

The thing I am not sure about is do I need to change the front deurailler as well?

You would need 11 speed shifters too.....otherwise you will only have 10 clicks available

And yes you can’t mix 10/11 speed so new front derailleur too

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Absolutely. But 'ouch'!
For sure. My other option is to just find a rear deurailler and replace that along with the chain, cassette and chain rings, which all need replacing. Its an interesting project though.

One of my new years resolutions is to learn more about bike mechanics. Here is my chance

Good morning,

I have 10 speed Di2 and this is a question as I genuinely don't know if it is an issue or not, aren't 11 speed Ultegra chainrings a teeny bit closer together than 10 speed ones?

With manual shifting it is easy to say yes but it is such a tiny amount it doesn't matter, is this still true with Di2 where the shift is a pre-programmed amount and the 11 speed FD is expecting an 11 speed chainset?

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ian. As far as I have made out up to now. If you change 10 speed di2 rear deurailler to an 11 speed. You also need an 11 speed cassette, 11 speed chain and the correct front deurailler to match the rear.

You do not need to change the levers.

You cannot just change the 10 speed deurailler for an 11 speed and hope it runs smoothly. It wont.

It is reported that the Shimano RD 6770 rear deurailler are hard to find but there are a few on ebay. I cannot find a new one though.

Good evening,

I agree with all of what you have said. :-)

But....... I love the little whirr as the front mech moves and it moves a fixed amount, there are no sensors.

A 10 speed chainset has a bigger gap between the chain rings than the 11 speed, I think that it is about 1mm, so does it matter, I don't know?

If this gap does matter then changes made by the FD on the chainset may result in the 11 spd FD "thinking" that's enough and on a 10 spd chainset leaving the chain half on and half off the big ring.

This was my should I or shouldn't I post https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/g...enith-pro-carbon-ultegra-di2-10-speed.235754/

Bye

Ian

Carrying on,

I don't think that Di2 was ever really designed to be a mix and match groupset.

The price is so high that it was probably intended to be supplied to people who would "buy this year's version" and then buy "next year's version".

I have a fond memory of Simplex gear levers with a Shimano 600 rear mech and a Campag Nouvo Gran Sport front mech and a Regina freewheel, the market has moved on, forwards or backwards maybe!

Bye

Ian

For a while I was running 11 speed rear mech (obviously with 11 speed wheel and cassette) but everything else was 10 speed. You have to be careful though, as after one of the updates to the firm ware you can only run 10 speed front and rear mechs together and the same for 11 speed, you could not mix and match. Levers will work with any combination.

CXRAndy

Guru

Look up Shimano etube project compatibility chart. IT lists what components can work with what. Have you considered using MTB derailleurs to allow for greater (wider) gearing selection. Derailleurs are either 10 or 11 speed you can't mix match the two. You have an option to go triple with XTR Di2 front derailleur

Good morning,

.... I am also running a 10sp cranks and chainrings with an 11sp chain and front and rear derailleurs with no issues.

Thank, that's good to know.

I was wondering if the reason that 10spd FDs were made incompatible with 11spd RDs is that although they worked they didn't work as well as expected. For example occasional dropped chains as the FD throw was too great or the self trimming worked only most of the time.

Its one of those things that only living with it for a while can tell you.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom