Changing Di2 Deurailler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
This thread is putting me off trying Di2. Gears that cost a packet and the 10-speed that is obsolete before I get round to trying it - no thanks.

yes was trying not to say such but since you have can't help myself.

Good luck sorting it steve, sure you will, and you have always seemed a good egg but I really can't help thinking that all this makes things way more complicated and expensive than they need to be - always reminds me of windows PC struggles. Can't help but think that before too long you are going to face the whole rigmarole again with a phased out 11 speed.

Will watch the thread with interest - and leave to the tech experts.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Once it's set up right it needs zero maintenance other than a battery charge every other month or so and of course the occasional clean that all components need. They'll last as long as any mechanical mech before replacement but of course they will eventually wear out.

Regarding compatibility, actually the Di2 ranges have more cross compatibility than the mechanical ones; the shifters tend to be the most expensive bits and they're compatible with any speed, and will likely be compatible with 12, 13 speed etc if and when that moves across from MTB's to road bikes.

I certainly wouldn't trade my Di2 for mechanical, in fact I recently swapped to Di2 on the winter bike as it is so good on the summer bike plus I now have less worries about maintenance :okay: As soon as they release the new 12-speed XTR Di2 I'll be upgrading the enduro bike too, or at least I will once I've sold my other Kidney and saved up a bit more pocket money :shy:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
My only gripe with Di2 at the moment is that I can't for the life of me think what I've done with the damn charger cable!

Oh well, the battery still has enough juice to keep it going for a few more rides and I know the cable is around here somewhere - it will turn up... at least, I hope it does because I'm stuffed if it doesn't.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Hi Steve, you can get a new di2 rear mech.

K edge made a long cage di2 mech for 10 speed di2 dura ace/ultegra. It's expensive i got mine from Australia about 6 months ago. You may have to search usa/australia bike shops.

It's called a K edge di2 derailleur conversion and can run a 34t cassette

found one at https://www.bicycleroots.com

Yes nothing lasts forever, but some things are hideously expensive to sort out when they do go kaput...

I recall hearing 12 speed componentry has been patented, it won't be long before 11 speed is obsolete on top end drivetrains also.

This stinks a lot like planned obsolescence on Shimano's part. Sorry to say it, but if anyone can be counted on to pay through the nose for parts, it's Di2 fans. There's something to be said for humble 9 speed drive chains....

Naughty me ran a worn chain just a bit too long this year and wore out my cassette and middle chainring, cost me £31 all in to replace the the lot (chain included). I've paid more than that for 11 speed cassettes in years gone by. Sorry I don't seem to come off as smug, ok maybe a little :smile:

Looks like you'll have to chalk this down to bad fortune @steveindenmark

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I have no problem with paying more for nice things. The DA cassette on the Bianchi was £150+, when it wears out I'll replace it with another one. Sure I've probably fallen for some marketing gimmicks down the line but I'm happy so who cares :laugh: That's one of the beauties of bicycles, there something for everyone :okay:

JhnBssll

Veteran

:laugh:

The Bianchi mug was 11 quid.

Top Bottom