Changing flats to drop bars advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Does it fit well reach wise as a drop bar? If so, it could well be too big as a drop bar even with a much shorter stem

OP
OP
Freelanderuk

Freelanderuk

Über Member
I called in the LBS yesterday and spoke to them about it ,it can be converted a couple of ways but will cost a few hundred £s, I am taking the fast road in today for them to give me a trade in price against a Defy for my winter ride,

One way to convert was to use normal tiagra shifters and the Giant conduct hydraulic disc upgrade kit

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/conduct-hydraulic-disc-brake-upgrade-kit

D

Deleted member 23692

The FastRoad in the link has post mount calipers and the 105 hydro set has flat mount, so you can't use the BR-RS405 calipers.

However your existing calipers will work with ST-RS405 levers. Far better to go full hydro and comprise with cable/hydro setups.

I converted my flat bar to drops using Ultregra Hydro brifters with Deore calipers and it works perfectly.

vickster

Legendary Member
I called in the LBS yesterday and spoke to them about it ,it can be converted a couple of ways but will cost a few hundred £s, I am taking the fast road in today for them to give me a trade in price against a Defy for my winter ride,

One way to convert was to use normal tiagra shifters and the Giant conduct hydraulic disc upgrade kit

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/conduct-hydraulic-disc-brake-upgrade-kit
Will a Defy take proper fixed full length mudguards these days then? Indispensable for a winter bike surely

OP
OP
Freelanderuk

Freelanderuk

Über Member
Will a Defy take proper fixed full length mudguards these days then? Indispensable for a winter bike surely
Thanks for the reply
Apparently so ,it was mentioned in the LBS yesterday that mudguards will fit when I mentioned that it would be my winter ride

Last edited:
OP
OP
Freelanderuk

Freelanderuk

Über Member
The FastRoad in the link has post mount calipers and the 105 hydro set has flat mount, so you can't use the BR-RS405 calipers.

However your existing calipers will work with ST-RS405 levers. Far better to go full hydro and comprise with cable/hydro setups.

I converted my flat bar to drops using Ultregra Hydro brifters with Deore calipers and it works perfectly.

Many thanks for the info , I presume you had to buy new hydraulic brake hose and fittings, did you do a write up about the change over ,

I really like the fastroad and it will take full mudguards and I would rather keep it than spend more money on another bike seen as I only got it in may at a cost of £1100.

I am going to get the measurements again and try the drop bars on the fastroad to see what it feels like

Cheers

D

Deleted member 23692

Many thanks for the info , I presume you had to buy new hydraulic brake hose and fittings, did you do a write up about the change over ,
I am going to get the measurements again and try the drop bars on the fastroad to see what it feels like

Cheers
Sorry there's no write up, but it's dead easy and very few parts are needed... and there are plenty of vids on youtube that will detail the re-hosing process far better than I could explain in text

All you'll need is...

New hose - 3m will easily be enough.
Fittings wise - The hose end nuts can be reused and, (if you are canny with a dremel or hacksaw) you can reuse the barb inserts by carefully cutting the olives off the old hoses and prising/slicing the old barbs out with a sharp knife.... so that leaves you with just 4 new olives to buy
then you'll need some mineral oil and a shimano bleeding kit, and some brake cleaner... car stuff is the same as [and cheaper than] a bike specific product

You'll also need gear cables, outer cables and bar tape etc.

As for the stem, when I went from flats to drops on the same frame I actually needed a longer one as the riding position is totally different. If you do the swap just keep the same stem and see how it goes. I suspect it'll be OK or you might want to go 10mm longer.

OP
OP
Freelanderuk

Freelanderuk

Über Member
Thanks Ffoeg ,

I bought a full set of Shimano ST RS 405 shifters and brakes and a full fitting kit from Bike 24 for less £s than the shifters alone cost here, the brake calipers will be sold as they will not fit and recoup a little of the cost

Will update once they arrive and work starts

Thanks for all replys

OP
OP
Freelanderuk

Freelanderuk

Über Member
There are mudguards and then the cruds by name and nature! :whistle:

Are these mudguards or crudes ?
2018_08_26_07.10.03.png

Top Bottom