Changing from 8 to 9 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

All the tech info is here.

In practice, there's probably no difference. Deore LX is Shimano's touring/trekking groupset and Deore is aimed at MTB. The list price for LX is slightly more than for Deore. They are both designed to use the same cassettes, both should give years of trouble free use, if it were me I'd choose the colour that best suited the bike, or the cheapest.

As you say both are near as damn it the same.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Thanks for the input guys. I've been googling around for the difference between Deore and Deore LX, and it seems that the LX is slightly better (stronger and lighter). The colour isn't a problem for me - I just want a derailleur that works well, is reliable and long-lasting. I think I'll go for the one in P.H's linky - it's a very good price.

Crankarm

Guru
Make sure you read the instructions 'How to set up the indexing of the new deraillieur' thoroughly which is in the leaflet which accompanies it otherwise you will not have crisp sooth changes. I would also suggest a new gear cable and also outer would be a wise idea as they don't cost much and there may well be grundge and rust deposits restricting movement of your current inner gear cable. Make sure you grease thoroughly the new inner cable so it moves effortlessly inside the outer cable giving you super smooth changes. Why not give your bike's cassette, chain and front chain rings a thorough clean and fit a new chain at the same time? If the chain is too worn it will wear the sprockets and chain rings which will mean when you do fit a replacement chain the drive will be awful as the new chain will not sit properly on the old sprockets and chain ring. A Park chain tool checker is a very wise investment.

On one of my bikes I have a 9spd Tiagra long cage deraillieur, 8spd shifters, 8/9 spd hub of un known provenance, with either 8 spd Shimano Tiagra cassette or another wheel with a Campag Record hub with 8 spd Record cassette - they both work fine, a 9spd Ultegra chain with SRAM quick link, Shimano Ultegra 9/10 spd triple chain set 52-42-34. It all works perfectly. Very simply you need to match the shifters to the number of sprockets at the rear ie 8 spd casessette requires 8 spd shifters and vice versa. Campag and Shimano aren't generally compatible certainly not 9spd and above as the pull ratio is different in the corresponding shifters, plus Campag only do Ergo levers as seen on drop bars on road bikes they don't do rapid fire shifters as Shimano do for hyrbrids and MTBs.

asterix

Comrade Member
This is the one I already have. Reckon if I'm going to change, I might as well upgrade to something a little better: an XT or Deore, for example.
So, if I understand you all correctly, I just buy a 9-speed derailleur and use it with my current 8-speed chain - then, when the time comes, change chain, cassette, shifters and chain-ring at the same time? As it happens, the shifters and chain-rings do need to be changed, but it's not urgent.

Going from 6 speed to 9 speed I had this thought why do I still need a triple chainset? I was quite happy with 18 gears and I will still have 18 gears if I use a double. So I ditched the triple and went to double and have never looked back. Pricier than just renewing chain rings but I like the simplicity.

Woah there! Dont run an eight speed chain through a nine speed mech. It wont be happy! You may however, run a nine speed chain on eight speed sprockets without any problems.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Thanks once again for your comments. Crankarm - that's very good advice, I'll read it again carefully when the time comes to change the derailleur. Asterix - I think granny gears are fitted on too many bikes these days - most people do not need them. I, however, do: cycling up mountains with 20kg of gear would be a very hard thing without them! I used to tour on a racing bike, but since I've had a real tourer I would never go back to two rings when heading off in mountainous areas on a loaded bike!

Peteaud

Veteran
That's interesting. Is there a difference between these two Deores, apart from the price and the colour? The one in Pete's link looks longer, or maybe that's just the photo?

The Deore is 8/9 speed, the LX says 9 speed!

The Deare 8 speed chain is no problem, but i would checlk with the seller of the LX as it may require a 9 speed chain.

As Mickle says.

The 8/9 speed deore will run an 8 speed chain.

Peteaud

Veteran
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-D...A%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=21&pmod=280949043317&ps=54

Deore is listed as 8/9 speed.

Lx is 9 speed only as far as i can see.

P.H

Über Member
Woah there! Dont run an eight speed chain through a nine speed mech. It wont be happy! You may however, run a nine speed chain on eight speed sprockets without any problems.

Mine is happy enough, just what do you think the problem would be?

Top Bottom