Changing from a 24-14 rear cassette to a 28-14 rear cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Probably a stupid question but - if I wanted to change my rear cassette from 24-14 to 28-14, could I merely swap my rear wheel for a spare wheel I have with a 28-14 cassette on it? Or would I need to lengthen the chain as well?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You would need an extra link. But with a change of cassette you'd be well advised to fit a new chain anyway.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Smokin Joe has given you the straightforward answer: the most prudent line.
But if you plan to run both wheels, ie as alternatives depending on terrain, say, then I offer other questions for you to consider.
It may be that the chain is currently a tad long and that, when you fit the 14-28 block the chain would actually manage large to large with the RD cage not higher than 135 degrees. In which case you could leave the chain on there for both wheels/blocks.
You don't say how many 1000km the block(s) or chain have done. If the chain has done more than 2000, a new chain makes complete sense, and probably with an extra link (1"), but establish the correct chain length from first principles, don't rely on it being correct now for the 14-24.
Finally, if in doubt go a link long as the chain at the 'longer' length will still work fine with the 14-24 as your RD will likely have the capacity to wrap the extra chain, and will quickly tell you if you have, unintentionally, gone small to small.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm wondering if this is not a cassette, but a freewheel?
Not that it changes anything - you may need a longer chain, and the chain may skip, in which case you'll need a new one.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
@Smokin Joe has given you the straightforward answer: the most prudent line.
But if you plan to run both wheels, ie as alternatives depending on terrain, say, then I offer other questions for you to consider.
It may be that the chain is currently a tad long and that, when you fit the 14-28 block the chain would actually manage large to large with the RD cage not higher than 135 degrees. In which case you could leave the chain on there for both wheels/blocks.
You don't say how many 1000km the block(s) or chain have done. If the chain has done more than 2000, a new chain makes complete sense, and probably with an extra link (1"), but establish the correct chain length from first principles, don't rely on it being correct now for the 14-24.
Finally, if in doubt go a link long as the chain at the 'longer' length will still work fine with the 14-24 as your RD will likely have the capacity to wrap the extra chain, and will quickly tell you if you have, unintentionally, gone small to small.
Thanks for that :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
wondering if this is not a cassette, but a freewheel?
14-28 cassette very difficult to source. Which is why, in my post, I've assumed they are blocks on freewheels (as you say: not that it matters). See Sheldon. How many speeds @Welsh wheels ?

Top Bottom