Changing grip shifter cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jessculter

So, after watching YouTube I convince myself that I can change my rear gear cable for my old Marin bear valley.

Taking old cable out, easy. Put new cable in, hooked everything up and I get no gear change and a grip shifter that doesn't appear to stay on properly. I'll leave it for now.

A few days go by, with 8 month old daughter I get a 1 hour window to try again

Next step, think about selling bike but I'll have one more look at YouTube. Bike doctor knows his stuff and it looks like the same shifter as mine, his must be a 90s mountain bike too.

Out again and I realise the gear cable isnt even connected to the gear selector which would explain why it's not shifting. Following bike doctors wise words, I finally suss it out and get it hooked up properly. Feed the cables through and try again. Shifter is clicking, that's an improvement, but still no gear movement. Give the cable a good tighten, I now have about 4-5 gears working on rear dérailleur.

Now I just need another 2 hours of tweaking and I'm sure I'll get the gears up and running again.

Morale of the story is next time to save time, take it to LBS or get rid and buy a new bike.

Top Bottom