Changing grips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dunlopdave

Hi all
What's the best way of getting my grips off the bars without cutting them off(I want to keep them in case I ever sell the bike) when I had my motorbike I used to use boiling water???

It depends what grip an how they are fitted. The ones on my Ridgeback rotate and slide off a bit when cycling, I really should use the hairspray technique to fix them more permanently. IIRC the previous ones on my sirrus were held on by a end plate and you screwed that off first.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
on flat bars? end plugs off, gently insert screwdriver (crosshead best) between bar and grip taking car not to scratch bar, insert the thin red tube of a can of WD40 alongside screwdriver. Squirt WD40 generously. remove tube remove screwdriver. start twisting grip. off it comes.

degrease bar (and grip if reusing)

to replace, lubricate grip and bar with hairspray, slide on, put in place, allow to set.

sorted.

Similar thing but I've always used brake & clutch cleaner aerosol spray as it creates a brilliantly slippery interface to allow easy removal and re-fitting, but then it evaporates completely saving the hassle of de-greasing after using something like WD.

Camrider

Presumably you are fitting something better than the bike came with so I would not worry about re-fitting them just hack them off and sell with better ones in place.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I usually cut mine off when they get raggy and wear thin. Best way to put a new pair on is to put just one little drop (and I mean just one!!) of washing up liquid on your finger to lubricate the inside. They usually slide on easily and the liquid dries out after a few hours so they stick to the bar.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I usually cut mine off when they get raggy and wear thin. Best way to put a new pair on is to put just one little drop (and I mean just one!!) of washing up liquid on your finger to lubricate the inside. They usually slide on easily and the liquid dries out after a few hours so they stick to the bar.
Until I ride in the rain... when a combination of bubbles and rotating grips makes for a sliptastic experience.... :thumbsup:

Top Bottom