changing inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Does anyone here change inner tubes as a sort of periodic maintenance thing?

Not because of punctures, or patches, but just because they've done x km... or they're a bit smelly or something.

Reading around, it's not uncommon (perishing rubber is the usual reason given) but I have never even thought of doing it.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
not me, would only change if its been patched a lot - guess this criteria means the tubes don't get too old (say five or so times) or can not reasonably be repaired (gash of >1-2mm in length)

GrasB

Veteran
Don't change but I'd recommend you take the tube out & inspect for perishing around the valve stem every month or so, if it's perished or shows signs of splitting/cracking replace. In just a few miles with the tube in a semi-deflated state you can cause serious damage to that area which may well lead to the valve detaching.

baggytrousers

I've never had any issues either but I would recommend you get some good quality ones from a decent manufacturer if your doing lots of miles

dodgy

I think I have better things to be doing than inspecting my inner tube valve stems on a monthly basis :tongue:

FWIW, I've never changed a tube as a matter of routine and never done any inspections either. When I get a puncture, I repair and only swap out the tube when it's had a few more. I guess they're lasting about 7 or 8 thousand miles.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yep, I had one go around the valve stem a couple of months back - it was a long walk home as I did not pack a spare tube!

Inspecting the other tyre I found this was about to go as well - had both tubes fitted for about a year [I should have checked them more often....]

Yes - had this happen a number of times - reckon it isn't helped by using pumps with awkward push on/knock off adapters. Very first time it happened I took out tube, inflated it and couldn't find a leak anywhere, put tube back in tyre, inflated - OK - set off, tyre went down. Only then replaced it with new one. Eventually found cause of problem at home. Now it is the first thing I look for when tyre deflates without obvious p......e. Therefore ALWAYS carry a spare tube. You cannot patch a split around the valve stem.

Inactive rubber products perish faster than rubber which is used regularly - its to do with the flexing which keeps the molecules lubricated.
Inner tubes rarely perish in use, what does happen though is that inner tubes suffer from wear. This is caused by a combination of factors and can be minimised very easily. Lubricating the tube/tyre interface with talc and maintaining high tyre pressures reduces movement and between the two.

OP
OP
Y

yello

FWIW, I've never changed a tube as a matter of routine and never done any inspections either. When I get a puncture, I repair and only swap out the tube when it's had a few more.

That's been my approach too. I was surprised to read of the periodic maintenance thing, I'd never even given it a thought.

Inner tubes rarely perish in use, what does happen though is that inner tubes suffer from wear. This is caused by a combination of factors and can be minimised very easily. Lubricating the tube/tyre interface with talc and maintaining high tyre pressures reduces movement and between the two.

Mickle, what would I do without you! As ever, the font of knowledge and experience combined with the voice of reason. Thank you.

e-rider

crappy member
For the sake of £2.50 I tend to change mine after about 3 or 4 years if they manage to survive that long, usually it's because the glue on patches fails after a few years of hot summers and cold winters, so it's preventative measure. If the tube was 100% still like new I'd probably leave it for 5-6 years before replacing but I've never been that long without a puncture!

I recall doing a charity bike ride in Nottingahm and hearing about 4 tyres 'pop' on the start line. Clearly the people had dusted their bikes off after years of not using them, pumped tyres up and ...bang! Perhaps you could blame the tyres.......

Top Bottom