Fixing a puncture or replacing inner tube when dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Yeah never understood what those verge signs meant if I did see them. Though I don't remember. There's lots of signs I probably don't understand. Who drives on the 'verge' anyhow?! 😂

Sometimes on narrow roads you have to in order for two vehicles to pass each other. Or people might park on the verge, and those signs are warning them it isn't a good idea.

Alex321

Veteran
My local bike shop recommends for my carerra crossfire 3, Flinger FD50 mudguards. I need mudguards. I want ones that go all the way to provide max coverage. When I asked him if they are something I can fit myself, he said, well you would think so, but in fact mudguards need trimming down to get them to look nice and fit correctly and other things.

He charges £15 to fit them. £40 for the mudguards.
Is he right about this? Should I pay him to do it or can I fit them myself?
Are those mudguards good?
I COULD buy those mudguards cheaper by about £5 online and get TCBP to fit them for free, but it is raining on the two days he is open to the general public this coming week, Mon and Tues. My bike will get bathed in grit again. That's then another £12 to pay the local bike shop to wash it.

The mudguards themselves won't need trimming, but the stays might. The stays are the metal rods that go between the bike frame and the actual mudguard. But you can trim those yourself with a hacksaw.

Fit the mudguards first without trimming, when you adjust so that the guards are positioned just above the tyre, the stays will probably project above them. Mark the point on the stays just above where they connect to the guards, take them off and trim to that point with the hacksaw, then re-fit.

You can get them for about £30 from a couple of places
https://www.tweekscycles.com/flinger-f50-deluxe-mudguard-set-chifgc50b/

OP
OP
M

Milena

The mudguards themselves won't need trimming, but the stays might. The stays are the metal rods that go between the bike frame and the actual mudguard. But you can trim those yourself with a hacksaw.

Fit the mudguards first without trimming, when you adjust so that the guards are positioned just above the tyre, the stays will probably project above them. Mark the point on the stays just above where they connect to the guards, take them off and trim to that point with the hacksaw, then re-fit.

You can get them for about £30 from a couple of places
https://www.tweekscycles.com/flinger-f50-deluxe-mudguard-set-chifgc50b/

I already saw them on that site. But with delivery it's a little over £36. About 1 pound more than amazon.

But if my basket exceeds £50 then they offer free delivery, and I need other things too, so if they're prices are good on other stuff, maybe I can order from them?

Is there something like PCpartpicker, which can compare prices of all items you want to buy and give you the best places to buy from which includes taking into account posting charges?

Also I want to know if those mudguards are good or not. Critical reviews state the following on amazon. Please refer to the images

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027_113928_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_113928_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20231027_113925_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_113925_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20231027_113857_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_113857_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20231027_113846_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_113846_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20231027_113844_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_113844_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Complete rubbish. Washing up liquid is fine to use on disc brake rotors. Just make sure it's rinsed off properly.

edit: beaten to it by @Paulus

On 'the other thread', car shampoo isn't recommended either. :whistle: I'm not so sure this young person actually want's to ride a bike, as he keeps putting barriers in place - no where to lean a bike near the driveway, needs bike shop to wash the bike at £12 (does he have money to burn).

presta

Guru
Many recommendations on here have been to rub your hand along the tire inside and out - but if there is something sharp, like a thorn or a shrapnel of glass, surely that would cut me?
At least one of the people recommending feeling the inside of the tyre mentioned being careful, for the benefit of anyone without any common sense.
Won't this damage the handles and seat? I don't want them getting scuffed up..
It won't harm the seat, and it won't harm rubber handgrips, just don't let it rest on plastic or metal parts.
What's a verge?
He means the bike needs to be on the verge of getting a puncture repaired.
My local bike shop recommends
When asking advice, bear in mind that shop assistants aren't likely to recommend something they don't sell.
you can trim those yourself with a hacksaw
Are you sure he knows what a hacksaw is?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
On 'the other thread', car shampoo isn't recommended either. :whistle: I'm not so sure this young person actually want's to ride a bike, as he keeps putting barriers in place - no where to lean a bike near the driveway, needs bike shop to wash the bike at £12 (does he have money to burn).
Colourful posts make me think of someone else.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note - from an over 35 English as a third language speaker, that knows what verges and BIOS are :laugh::
This thread is now closed, after a clean up of several personal attacks - please desist ^_^
The OP has received plenty of explanation, their next step is now to practice!
YouTube is your friend @Milena, plenty of step by step videos, watch then go for it.
Nothing in life comes on a plate :okay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom