Fixing a puncture or replacing inner tube when dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
What's a verge?

Grass verge on the side of the road.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Grass verge on the side of the road.

You mean patches of grass that run either side of a road? Again, this is something most people won't have heard of. Verge. Ask any person below 35 years of age what verge is, and most won't know. It's likely something common knowledge in the cycling community because it's dealt with very regularly. Drivers of cars don't care about that because they don't make contact with 'the verge'. Nor do pedestrians. You should have explained what it is, instead of saying 'grass verge on the side of a road'.
You didn't explain WHAT the word means, instead you just used it in a different sentence.

Reminds me of this video:

View: https://youtu.be/Ct-lOOUqmyY?feature=shared

C R

Guru
You mean patches of grass that run either side of a road? Again, this is something most people won't have heard of. Verge. Ask any person below 35 years of age what verge is, and most won't know. It's likely something common knowledge in the cycling community because it's dealt with very regularly. Drivers of cars don't care about that because they don't make contact with 'the verge'. Nor do pedestrians. You should have explained what it is, instead of saying 'grass verge on the side of a road'.
You didn't explain WHAT the word means, instead you just used it in a different sentence.

Verge is a very common word unrelated to cycling.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Verge is a very common word unrelated to cycling.

In YOUR opinion. Go up to random people in the streets in central London who are aged below 35 and ask them if they know what the word means.
What people on here fail to understand is that the words you use, related to cycling, likely aren't words used often, if at all by the general public.

If I start talking about BIOS and mentioning various settings, and even abbreviating them, many people wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about. Or POST. Which in the PC world doesn't mean post that gets delivered to you.

Not everyone is a cycling expert on here. I'm new to cycling. I've cycled as a kid and teenager. I've never ridden long distances until this year. I hadn't owned a cycle since I was about 16 years old. I'm over twice that age now.

And even back then, I just bought a cycle and rode it. I didn't even have internet access back then TO learn about anything specific. And I sure as hell wasn't going to go to my local library to read books about cycling.
I had no accessories, and didn't service the bike. I only had it for about 6 months before I sold it. It wasn't even new.

It makes me angry that a few people on here think I'm trolling or that 'English might not be his first language'. There's many subject matters, all of you likely have no knowledge on. That I do.
So chill the f out people. I've not been horrible or anything like that.

I'm just trying to learn. I speak, read and write English very well. It's my primary language. I can speak 3 languages. How many of you speak more than 1 language?!

OP
OP
M

Milena

Just asked my 14yo daughter, she knows what it is.

YOUR daughter. You likely used that word around her. Look. It doesn't matter. What I said is correct. Not everyone will know certain words because either they're niche, or they're not used daily.

You get a degree. Which you spend 3 years studying. But you then don't get a job even slightly related to it. You WILL forget all you were taught 10 years later. You use it, or you lose it.

Most people aren't using the word verge regularly enough if at all.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Why use American spelling constantly then? :scratch:

My phone does it. I use the old 3x3 keyboard layout with predictive text and auto correct. It doesn't matter at all. American or British, the language is still the same.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027_081255_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_081255_Chrome.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 3

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Verge. On the edge of something.
As, on the verge of making a decision.
As, on the verge of killing someone.
As, grass verge on the side of the road.

The American use of language can be quite different from English.
Bathroom/kitchen taps--faucets.
Crisps,----chips
Trousers---Pants
Petrol---Gas
The list is endless.

C R

Guru
In YOUR opinion. Go up to random people in the streets in central London who are aged below 35 and ask them if they know what the word means.
What people on here fail to understand is that the words you use, related to cycling, likely aren't words used often, if at all by the general public.

If I start talking about BIOS and mentioning various settings, and even abbreviating them, many people wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about. Or POST. Which in the PC world doesn't mean post that gets delivered to you.

Not everyone is a cycling expert on here. I'm new to cycling. I've cycled as a kid and teenager. I've never ridden long distances until this year. I hadn't owned a cycle since I was about 16 years old. I'm over twice that age now.

And even back then, I just bought a cycle and rode it. I didn't even have internet access back then TO learn about anything specific. And I sure as hell wasn't going to go to my local library to read books about cycling.
I had no accessories, and didn't service the bike. I only had it for about 6 months before I sold it. It wasn't even new.

It makes me angry that a few people on here think I'm trolling or that 'English might not be his first language'. There's many subject matters, all of you likely have no knowledge on. That I do.

I'm just trying to learn. I speak, read and write English very well. It's my primary language. I can speak 3 languages. How many of you speak more than 1 language?!

?

Verge IS a common word. It is quite common to see signs on the side of the road saying "No parking on the verge", like this

1698391459010.png

FWIW, I am not a native English speaker, I speak two other languages. My daughter is in the same situation as you, born and raised in the UK with English as her first language, she also speaks two other languages.

Kingfisher101

Über Member

Really? I think people have done their best to help you when you have been quite rude etc.

Alex321

Veteran
But surely that shouldn't need adjusting? Isn't it that the rear tire needs to be put on correctly as that's what was moved?

No. The rear wheel position makes no real difference to the front derailleur position. If there is a big difference in position of that largest rear cog, it could theoretically mean the chain angle could change enough to cause rubbing. But if they haven't changed the rear cassette, that won'y have changed that much.

Alex321

Veteran
Won't this damage the handles and seat? I don't want them getting scuffed up..

You seem to be very concerned about the cosmetic appearance of your bike. If you use it, particularly in wet weather, it is not going to remain pristine. It will get marks and scuffs. Try not to worry too much about that sort of thing.

It won't damage the bars or seat, but if you are worried about them getting dirty or scuffed, use an old towel or sheet under it when you are turnig it over in the garage. As others have said, if doing it while out on the road, put it on the verge, which will be soft.

Alex321

Veteran

I would expect 99% of British adults to know what that word means. It isn't an old fashioned type word that people under 35 won't have heard of.

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
YOUR daughter. You likely used that word around her. Look. It doesn't matter. What I said is correct. Not everyone will know certain words because either they're niche, or they're not used daily.

You get a degree. Which you spend 3 years studying. But you then don't get a job even slightly related to it. You WILL forget all you were taught 10 years later. You use it, or you lose it.

Most people aren't using the word verge regularly enough if at all.

That word is not niche, and is not cycling related. It really is a very common word. Almost everybody who drives a car will have come across it, unless they never drive outside a city.

Reactions: C R
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom