Fixing a puncture or replacing inner tube when dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Milena

That word is not niche, and is not cycling related. It really is a very common word. Almost everybody who drives a car will have come across it, unless they never drive outside a city.

I had a car from 2019 till 2014. I never used the word verge. I never had to. I never came across it. At least from what I remember. MAYBE back then I knew it. Maybe. But not now. The guy replying to me, didn't explain what the word meant. Please review what I wrote about that.

Chislenko

Veteran
soft-verges.jpg

Reactions: C R

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Getting back to bicycle mechanicals,
I think that the OP should try reading one of the books available to learn about bike servicing.
I recommend the Haynes Bike Book. Step by step text, with pictures on how to service and repair bicycles. Starting from the easy bits and building up to more complicated stuff.

Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance https://amzn.eu/d/gl2bKwB

OP
OP
M

Milena

Getting back to bicycle mechanicals,
I think that the OP should try reading one of the books available to learn about bike servicing.
I recommend the Haynes Bike Book. Step by step text, with pictures on how to service and repair bicycles. Starting from the easy bits and building up to more complicated stuff.

Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance https://amzn.eu/d/gl2bKwB
My local bike shop recommends for my carerra crossfire 3, Flinger FD50 mudguards. I need mudguards. I want ones that go all the way to provide max coverage. When I asked him if they are something I can fit myself, he said, well you would think so, but in fact mudguards need trimming down to get them to look nice and fit correctly and other things.

He charges £15 to fit them. £40 for the mudguards.
Is he right about this? Should I pay him to do it or can I fit them myself?
Are those mudguards good?
I COULD buy those mudguards cheaper by about £5 online and get TCBP to fit them for free, but it is raining on the two days he is open to the general public this coming week, Mon and Tues. My bike will get bathed in grit again. That's then another £12 to pay the local bike shop to wash it.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
You don't need to pay a bike shop £12.00 to wash your bike, do it yourself round the back of your house. Just put your bike next to the grate and get a bucket with water in it, washing up liquid and a sponge/brush etc and off you go.

OP
OP
M

Milena

You don't need to pay a bike shop £12.00 to wash your bike, do it yourself round the back of your house. Just put your bike next to the grate and get a bucket with water in it, washing up liquid and a sponge/brush etc and off you go.

My LBS said washing up liquid contains silicone which will be bad for my disc brakes.

Alex321

Veteran
I had a car from 2019 till 2014. I never used the word verge. I never had to. I never came across it. At least from what I remember. MAYBE back then I knew it. Maybe. But not now. The guy replying to me, didn't explain what the word meant. Please review what I wrote about that.

I know he didn't explain what the word meant. Nobody would have thought he needed to, because it is a VERY commonly known word.

I would be surprised if a single adult I know doesn't know what it means.

If it were a niche word, or something specifically related to cycling, I could understand you wanting an explanation of what it means. But it isn't. The word is used in the Highway code (which all drivers are supposed to have read), it is used on road signs (as illustrated above). It is far to well known a word for people to expect that you would not know what it referred to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom