Changing language, for the better ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This was spoken about in the Never strays car T de F podcast with Ned Boulting, David Millar & Pete Kennuagh re the Euro English from cycling teams with riders from all over the World, such as it’s good eh, and the other one I’ve noticed on interviews is for sure, apparently it’s endemic across all teams in the pro peloton, and it was mentioned Ned Boulting had started to use it at the hotel restaurant one day

I find the English used by cycling teams super super interesting.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I find the English used by cycling teams super super interesting.

I find it, yeah, super super interesting too. You know, yeah, the way that the riders talk when asked how the race went...

"When you looked at today's tough parcours, did you think that you could win?"

"Yeah, no I didn't! I was super super surprised, and yeah, no, really really happy to pull it off!"

Reactions: DRM
Peleton English is super simplified so all of the non English speaking riders racing in non English speaking countries can say something to the English speaking press. I would expect native English speakers to speak full gas.

I totally agree. It’s absolutely changing the natural balance of the language in a super irritating way. Myself is always looking for amazing ways to add a few more superlatives into any conversation or social media post, just to show how super aware I am of the awesomeness of my own inadequacy

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This is because “so” has become the obligatory beginning for every sentence and is thus too tired to be paired with ”far”

So?

That's true @postman , but it also extends east till you reach Burnley, then things change.

I think that video suggests that Preston does it. I'm not too sure about that. Maybe the older habitants still do, but not the incomers from elsewhere.
1f914.png

On about the vid', I think Bernard Wrigley's from the north side of Bolton, heading towards Blackburn, so he has more of a Lancashire accent than a semi Manchester one. He did a show at an old folks home I worked in 30 years ago. He was a good laugh and did it for free./styles/default/xenforo/smls/okay.gif

Firstly thanks for the video, added Bernard to my YouTube playlist. I looked him up and now owe an apology to Mr Wrigley - for years I've mistaken your appearances in the tv show Phoenix Nights for the comedian Bobby Ball. Sorry Bernard.

Secondly knowing Preston quite well, I can confirm there is no decent parking near the market as they have knocked down the multi storey. (Unless they've managed to build something else!)

Top Bottom