Changing language, for the better ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
English people:
The thing you put your socks in is a DRAWER, not a "DRAW".
The past tense of the verb buy is BOUGHT, there is no R in it, "BROUGHT" has a totally different meaning.

Learn to roll your RRRRRRRs like us proper English speaking Scots, and the spelling will follow!

Problem is, Scottish has no vowels

Brandane

Legendary Member

You've no' been tae Edinbraaa then, aaaaae?

Alex321

Veteran

That what English people sometimes think about Welsh :smile:

Place names like Ynysybwl. I remember when we moved to a place just outside Pontypridd, and my mum was coming to visit. I gave her directions including follow the sign for Ynysybwl. She asked me to spell it so I did "But it's got no vowels!" was her response.
Of course y and w are both vowels in Welsh :smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
you only roll your R's if you are from Blackburn,and they do.

That's true @postman , but it also extends east till you reach Burnley, then things change.

I think that video suggests that Preston does it. I'm not too sure about that. Maybe the older habitants still do, but not the incomers from elsewhere.🤔

On about the vid', I think Bernard Wrigley's from the north side of Bolton, heading towards Blackburn, so he has more of a Lancashire accent than a semi Manchester one. He did a show at an old folks home I worked in 30 years ago. He was a good laugh and did it for free.:okay:

Last edited:

Stephenite

Membå
I always ask for “ two off “, as I got used to that when ordering stuff for work.
There’s a great podcast “ Something Rhymes with Purple “ which discusses the origins and usage of words and how they evolved. A lot of “ Amerianisms “ are actually the original English, “ Fall “ for Autumn being just one example.
Thanks for the tip. I love a good podcast.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm not too good at these kind of topics. Does using 'summat' instead of something count?🤔

Lazy speech, one of my pet hates :smile:
I correct my daughter (40) perpetually...my youngest son too, summat, surfing, anything....ugggh, lazy lazy i tell them all the time. Its the proliferation of 'Eastenders' speak.
Truth is, I probably do it myself occasionally ....

Mike_P

Guru
Languages always evolve and adopt words from others, so the introduction of Americanisms into English generally is a pretty simple evolution, no doubt assisted by TV and films. Such evolution is more noticeable with sub titled tv typically on BBC4 and through Walter presents on C4 with the odd English word. typically IT related, arising.

Brandane

Legendary Member
How do some words catch on? I'm thinking of the much used modern reply to the simple question of "Hello, how are you?", and the reply "I'm GOOD". Errm, I was enquiring as to the state of your wellbeing; not your behaviour!
Clearly though, at some point in the recent past, someone, somewhere (probably in USA), was asked how they were and they replied "good" rather than any of the more traditional replies. It must have sounded very strange at the time, but for some reason it is now in common use. Why? It doesn't make any sense!

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
How do some words catch on? I'm thinking of the much used modern reply to the simple question of "Hello, how are you?", and the reply "I'm GOOD". Errm, I was enquiring as to the state of your wellbeing; not your behaviour!
Clearly though, at some point in the recent past, someone, somewhere (probably in USA), was asked how they were and they replied "good" rather than any of the more traditional replies. It must have sounded very strange at the time, but for some reason it is now in common use. Why? It doesn't make any sense!

Strangely, it is believed to come from drug dealers texting simply “I’m good” to their customers to indicate that they are “well stocked up”.

Top Bottom