Changing language, for the better ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
What ever happened to thrice?

We need a campaign to re-instate it.

Still common in the Borders.

byegad

Legendary Member
American usage that grates on me.

'High rate of speed.' Verbose means of saying fast, quickly or high speed. As speed is a rate of change of position, 'rate' is redundant in any case.

Last edited:

markemark

Über Member
American usage that grates on me.

'High rate of speed.' Verbose means of saying fast, or high speed. As speed is a rate of change of position, 'rate' is redundant in any case.
As you say, speed is a rate of change of position and acceleration is a rate of change of speed.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
'The wife', a phrase usually used by a prize idiot.

Also 'Her indoors'.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I think that video suggests that Preston does it. I'm not too sure about that. Maybe the older habitants still do, but not the incomers from elsewhere.🤔
:okay:
Proper Preston is strongly rhotic and with a tendency to voice aspirant consonants. But Manc and Scouse seem to be making incursions.

winjim

Smash the cistern
This has probably being done before, but why has the use of "twice" being dropped in the favour of "two times" ?

Also "so far" has been usurped by "thus far"

This is not a recent phenomenon, The Score was released over a quarter of a century ago.

presta

Guru
Human Resources instead of Personnel, and Colleagues instead of Staff irritate me.
the introduction of Americanisms into English
Gotten really used to irk me, then I heard a programme on Radio 4 about Americanisms, and it turns out many of them originate in English. Gotten is in Shakespeare.

DRM

Guru
This was spoken about in the Never strays car T de F podcast with Ned Boulting, David Millar & Pete Kennuagh re the Euro English from cycling teams with riders from all over the World, such as it’s good eh, and the other one I’ve noticed on interviews is for sure, apparently it’s endemic across all teams in the pro peloton, and it was mentioned Ned Boulting had started to use it at the hotel restaurant one day

Top Bottom