Changing my mutt's diet to a more healthy one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
He's been on Butcher's Tripe and Tesco small dog chicken and veg' mixer dried food for years. I think it stinks more before it goes in than when it comes out.xx( The other week i saw a kind of dark blue vein in the tin!:ohmy: That was it! He couldn't eat that crap anymore, so he's now on cooked chicken breast, wholemeal bread and fresh slightly boiled broccoli.🥦 At first he spat most of the broccoli out, so i cut it up into even smaller pieces (along with the chicken and the bread). He now eats the whole lot and seems to like it. Next, i might introduce carrots🥕 into his daily meal.

Last edited:
My dog eats raw food, a dog mince of 80% 'meat' 10% organ 10% bone, the meat is any of chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, rabbit, venison, wild boar, often blends of any two. 10% organ content is low enough that tripe cannot be detected thankfully as it's awful stuff. £1.00 - £1.20 for 500g and enough for 6 days food, it's bulked up slightly with boiled spuds/rice/cauliflower/carrots.
Extra bone is given sparingly as lots of dogs struggle once you get beyond 20% bone in their diet, they struggle to pass it through, though bone does make 'picking up' easier you'll never look at a chicken nugget the same way again.
If a dog won't eat something just take the food away, the dog probably won't risk a second loss of food but you'll do the dog no harm not feeding it for a day, in the wild they go days without food.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ours eat a blend of raw food and Chappie*
Rabbits ears are great for them as well and as treat as are occasional tripe sticks. Ours also like crunchy fish cubes..
Special occasions call for chicken breasts and scrambled egg.
Lo/no carbs for ours, so no kibble or bonios etc.

3F0CCF6C-0883-47EB-B3F7-DD5247099906.jpeg

*as used by Police dogs!

Last edited:
My dog would kill for rabbit ears, so the rabbit ears don't actually need to be bought...

Rocky

Hello decadence
Ours eat a blend of raw food and Chappie*
Rabbits ears are great for them as well and as treat as are occasional tripe sticks. Ours also like crunchy fish cubes..
Special occasions call for chicken breasts and scrambled egg.
Lo/no carbs for ours, so no kibble or bonios etc.

View attachment 611616

*as used by Police dogs!
Fabbers.....did you or Basil win that rosette? ..........I can't quite read it, but does it say something about having the 'best legs in show'?

Top Bottom