Changing saddles at the last minute???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
My Century Ride is this coming Sunday. I'm as ready as I'm going to be for it - I have a trainer ride and maybe a short outdoor ride planned for this week (and some runs) but I'm trying to rest up as much as possible.

I do have a question. My saddle is VERY uncomfortable. I thought it would get better, and it has a little, but my bum is seriously sore and chafed at the end of a ride even with chamois cream. I can't decide whether or not to switch it out for my touring saddle which has never hurt me in that way. Any thoughts?

I don't have time for a LONG ride to test out the new saddle on my road bike so it's a bit of a gamble. My husband says not to change anything at this point, and I think he is technically correct....but my bum wants some comfort! What do you reckon?

earlestownflya

a saddle which has never hurt you in any way???.....get it on the bike....if you're comfortable and the saddle is asthetically pleasing to you(coz it's gotta look good too,right?)..it's a no-brainer....treat your ass and enjoy the ride^_^

buggi

Bird Saviour
Hell yes, if your other touring saddle is not new, swap them over for the day. If your other saddle hurts you i don't think you've really got anything to lose

alicat

Legendary Member
Fit the comfy one but take some care that the angle of tilt is the same as on your other bike. And go for a decent ride to check it's not something on the bike that is contributing to the saddle pain.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Definitely fit the comfy one.
I used to swap my favourite saddle from bike to bike so I don't see why you shouldn't.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Saddles can be specific to the bike. What works on one might not work in a different riding position. I'd probably change it but go out to test ride for at least an hour.
I fully agree with this.
It could well be you bike set up etc.
Put the saddle on but DEFO try it on a 10 miler before the big one..........you do NOT want to be 30 miles out and think oh s***t I am in trouble.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I changed my saddle a few days before my first 100 . I must admit i didn't go out to do 100 and wondered if going further on a new saddle was a good idea at about 50 miles . Ended up doing 118 miles and no sore bottom . Everything else hurt the next day though :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I changed my saddle a few days before my first 100 . I must admit i didn't go out to do 100 and wondered if going further on a new saddle was a good idea at about 50 miles . Ended up doing 118 miles and no sore bottom . Everything else hurt the next day though :laugh:

It may also well work for Cathryn but if she gets the chance to try it first I would be good to do so. After my a***e troubles this year (well docummented :sad: ) I had a bike fit and tried a new saddle.........on a 10 miler before my 68 miler........and it was absolutely brill :smile: but the 10 miler put my mind at rest and I set of with confidence.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It may also well work for Cathryn but if she gets the chance to try it first I would be good to do so. After my a***e troubles this year (well docummented :sad: ) I had a bike fit and tried a new saddle.........on a 10 miler before my 68 miler........and it was absolutely brill :smile: but the 10 miler put my mind at rest and I set of with confidence.
I agree . I did a few 10 -20 milers before i set out on the big one .

Top Bottom