Changing the rear derailleur.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ethan5

Hi,
I've got the chance of an inexpensive Barracuda Azzurri road bike and I think that I'd like to replace the Tourney gears with something better. What would you suggest, what do you think it would cost and what would the fitting procedure entail if I did it myself?
Thanks for your time. I've lost 3 stone and I want to get that last bit off! I've not been into cycling but I have developed an amount of self discipline which I could apply to cycling, I hope!

Ivan Ardon

Unless the rear derraileur is broken it's not worth upgrading. You'd still end up with a poor bike but with a nice rear changer.

Joshgav

I have the same bike, but mine came with sora and unbranded road stuff. I have upgraded most of the kit to 105 standard stuff including the wheels and the bike is getting better. Next up is a new frame and it will stop being a barracuda. Really regretting buying it now as I could have done better for the money.

All in all, I wouldn't bother upgrading the parts unless you want to do it like me and slowly buy yourself a new bike bit by bit.

jpembroke

Joshgav - sounds like a stealth upgrade to me. There are many (mostly men) who buy a cheap bike and then see how far they can push the upgrade envelope without their partners noticing.
:biggrin:

Joshgav

jpembroke said:
Joshgav - sounds like a stealth upgrade to me. There are many (mostly men) who buy a cheap bike and then see how far they can push the upgrade envelope without their partners noticing.
;)

She has noticed, and doesn't understand at all. She thinks that you only need a good bike if you want to be professional. Also she is very dubious about the new clipless pedals I just got, and I have no way to convincer her. Never mind, when I get my all carbpn beauty she won't say that I didn't warn her.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Join a chain gang and get some moral support!

How much does she spend on shoes, clothes, makeup, phone calls etc. anyway?

jpembroke

I have to admit to upgrading the MTB from v-brakes to disks by stealth. Only problem is that I had a slight accident during installation that resulted in my slicing the top off my finger and having to visit A&E. This happened when I was supposed to be 'working from home' one morning. I then had to cycle in to work that afternoon one-handed and explain (i.e. lie) to my boss that i'd had an accident with a bread knife. Stupid thing is that my wife probably wouldn't have cared at all about me upgrading the bike.

Moral is: Stealth upgrading is bad for your health.

bonj2

:hello::biggrin:
you should always remember the old line from one of the old sitcoms - porridge or only fools and horses or some such:
"eeeh - there's nowt wrong wi' this broom - it's had 5 new heads and 9 new handles!"
;)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Only Fools and Horses - You are referring to the concept of Triggers broom. He wins an award from the Council for using the same broom for 20 years. Only later does he state that it has had n number of heads and y number of shanks. :biggrin::laugh:
bonj said:
:biggrin::biggrin:
you should always remember the old line from one of the old sitcoms - porridge or only fools and horses or some such:
"eeeh - there's nowt wrong wi' this broom - it's had 5 new heads and 9 new handles!"
:biggrin:

Top Bottom