Changing to a different derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I have at the moment rear and front shimano sora derailleurs. would it be possible to upgrade to something better like a tiagra or a campagnolo ? If it is possible what else would I also need to change.... ie front derailleur too ? what about the chainset.....would that need changing too ?

You should be fine changing to a Tiagra derailleur, the indexing is taken care of by the shifters. Just make sure you get the right cage length for either triple double or compact depeding what you have.
you will need to set the limiters and possibly 'b' screw when fitted, easiest in a stand.

Trumpettom001

Don't buy a campagnolo derailiur and use it with a shimano shifter. It won't index properly. Having said that - I have managed to get a nine speed shimano shifter to work with a 10s campy cassette and deraileur - I only get nine speeds though, obviously...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
In all fairness, you'd be better off upgrading the tyres IMHO. Sora mechs work perfectly well, so it's an expensive way of losing an ounce or two of weight.
I'd be astounded if you noticed any difference at all.

Rip Van

Veteran
In all fairness, you'd be better off upgrading the tyres IMHO. Sora mechs work perfectly well, so it's an expensive way of losing an ounce or two of weight.
I'd be astounded if you noticed any difference at all.

I did this very upgrade but from 7 speed Sora (freewheel) to 9 speed tiagra (more expensive as I needed shifters, cassette & wheel). The Sora mech (plastic) was completely worn at the pivots and couldn't be adjusted to change properly. I did upgrade the wheels at the same time (even more expensive) but the result felt like a new bike.

battered

Guru
Run it till it claps, then get the trendy new one. As stated, stay with Shimano unless you like mechanical challenges.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Others have kind of covered this, but basically, why do you want to 'upgrade'? Are you having problems? Is your existing mech worn out? Unless you have some specific problem/reason, I'd leave well alone. I'm with TheDoctor - if you want to upgrade, go for tyres/wheels. Nothing else makes much difference, so long as it works.

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Do you have 8 or 9 speed? If you have 9 speed then you can run a mix of Tiagra (or 105 if you are wanting to go higher) and up grade piecemeal, but if you have an 8 speed set up, you will need to replace the whole lot at one go.

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

Do you have 8 or 9 speed? If you have 9 speed then you can run a mix of Tiagra (or 105 if you are wanting to go higher) and up grade piecemeal, but if you have an 8 speed set up, you will need to replace the whole lot at one go.

I have a 9 speed Bianchi Via Nirone 7

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There's a lot of one-upmanship about components - personally I think it's all a bit sad and train-spottery, but that's just me. (Apparently there are people who'll spend £230 on a shirt too.) If I had a mech that was working fine and not causing me any problems, I certainly wouldn't change it. 

Top Bottom