Changing to 'slicks'...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dibs

Veteran
...or more appropriately, non off road tyres.

I have ordered my new bike (GT aggressor XC2) and I plan mainly to use it for commute to work - mostly on cycle paths, initially.

It has been suggested that I change tyres, to something like this - is it worth spending the extra money (actually vouchers from the cycle2work scheme on these? Once I shift some weight, I hope to start getting out more 'recreationally', but mostly on canal / cycle paths until I get more experience!

Presume it is straightforward to change a cycle tyre? So I would revert back to off road tyres for these trips!

Cheers.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
They are a very good tyre with very good puncture resistance, many people swear by them.

When i ran a MTB with slicks i ran these ...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24629

Not as expensive or as puncture resistant but still a very good tyre that i cycled on glass and stone chip strewn cycle paths with no problems in a few thousand miles.

I have heard that marathons can be a bit hard to get on but once on your not going to have many flats , my suggestion has lower rolling resistance and is a bit easier to put on.

som3blok3

+1 for the Marathons, rode with them for ages. Worth the extra money / vouchers, perfect on road, tow paths etc and bomb proof..............

.................almost.

OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
So are these deemed to be ok for grit type canal paths etc? As I am planning on getting out at weekends now, although my most miles will be the commute to work. Can't see me getting onto the mud etc for a while!!!

They are a very good tyre with very good puncture resistance, many people swear by them.

When i ran a MTB with slicks i ran these ...

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=24629

Not as expensive or as puncture resistant but still a very good tyre that i cycled on glass and stone chip strewn cycle paths with no problems in a few thousand miles.

I have heard that marathons can be a bit hard to get on but once on your not going to have many flats , my suggestion has lower rolling resistance and is a bit easier to put on.

+1 for these tyres (although I still have my older versions).

Not sure if the newer ones are better, but these are the worst tyre I have had for getting on and off, worse than all my 23/25x700 tyres!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Should be, this is where I'm taking some 35mm Marathons later in the week: -

3923131255_549665134b.jpg

OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
Good stuff McShroom, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'll not be on anything worse than than for first wee while... unless I take a wrong turn

:-)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
1.2 Hutchinsons..........

Don't take off road........ they are road bike hunters !............ So wrong, but fast as you will get on an MTB........

DSCF1929.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS this is my weapon now.......... gears...phah........

DSCF5270.jpg

sabian92

Über Member
I've got a set of those, and by what people recommended, they were the only tyres worth buying. I've not ridden them yet, but apparently compared to crap knobblies on a MTB or hybrid, they're sh*t off a shovel.

I roll with Marathon +'s 32mm on my Genesis Day One ...Roll pretty well and good for traction on Towpaths....Regents Canal and River Lea etc...

Ride a Roadbike with 24mm tyres and the Marathons don't feel too different to them.

Yes they were hard to get on but I wussed out and brought this My link helps get the last bit of tyre over into the bead of the rim.

Top Bottom