Charge Plug 2012 Forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
2rc0m5l.jpg

Need a new pair of threaded Charge Plug 2012 forks.On overhaul (after the bottom bracket incident) found I could not get these off and the guy in the bike shop couldn't either,so he cut them off eventually.Not sure where I want to go with this.The biggest problem is finding compatible forks.My older fixie has a different fork setup with the three rings at the top.This has the wedge inside which I managed to get loose quite easily but the tubes are wedged well in,together.

Got my eye on a new fixie but I don't think I'd get as much pleasure or learn as much by rebuilding my old fixie.

Any help would be appreciated.Cheers.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nothing stopping you from purchasing any set of 700c suitable forks with a long enough tube on and rebuilding with those , that's what i would be tempted to do

OP
OP
L

Lonestar

Veteran
The only thing I'm good at is cocking it up.Reckon I'd get the wrong set.Still bike shop is a better idea.Don't know many round here...I know two but the one I took this to wasn't much help and the other seems to have closed and also just does repairs.So this is worth chasing up.So will look into this.Have no experience in this sort of thing so it left me stumped.Looked on ebay but always the chance of buying the wrong set.Thanks for your help.

I think it's one inch...The new stem is 22.2.
I've got:
Wheel Size 700c
Braking:Caliper
Steerer:Threaded
Diameter:170mm
Not sure about stack.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
If i remember rightly the early Plugs were 1" and as you say threaded so all you need to do is measure from lower bearing race up to where lbs cut it and then measure as best as you can the amount they chopped off and add the 2 together and that will give you the steerer length you require

and you want a set with minimal ie straight rake

Yes it can be daunting to do your self or find a trusty shop but both can be done

si_c

Guru
If i remember rightly the early Plugs were 1" and as you say threaded so all you need to do is measure from lower bearing race up to where lbs cut it and then measure as best as you can the amount they chopped off and add the 2 together and that will give you the steerer length you require

and you want a set with minimal ie straight rake

Yes it can be daunting to do your self or find a trusty shop but both can be done
Looks from the picture like a stuck stem, and the shop cut the stem to remove it. That being said, all that's needed is to measure from the bearing race to the top of the main tube, and then measure the length of the threads too.

Should be able to get a set of forks easily enough, I've sourced them from eBay in the past successfully. Also worth looking at are kinesis or surly forks.

Bear in mind you may need to factor in getting forks repainted if you want them to match.

si_c

Guru
Might also be possible to remove the stem using caustic soda now it's been cut out, if you're feeling brave. Check YouTube for howtos.

OP
OP
L

Lonestar

Veteran
Took it round another bike shop and he seems quite confident and wasn't overawed.Somehow I'm not so sure.Last resort is new forks if I (or bikeshop) can get the right ones.

Thanks for your help,guys.

Last edited:

mikeymustard

Veteran
If you're not sure then just take it back to the guy who seemed confident he could sort it. If he can't then new forks and stem it is, it's a pretty straightforward job

OP
OP
L

Lonestar

Veteran
If you're not sure then just take it back to the guy who seemed confident he could sort it. If he can't then new forks and stem it is, it's a pretty straightforward job

It is...just getting the right forks doesn't seem that simple at the moment.

Wrong forks anyway fortunately I think. The 2012 plug had a threaded headset, that's for a threadless unit.

That's why I didn't buy them,apart from the fact the price is a bit hefty.

Top Bottom