Charge Plug Sizing Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
Hoping some Charge Plug owners on here can help... Am considering a Charge Plug but not sure about the sizing.
Height 5'6" / 168cm and 29" inside leg. My road bike is a 52cm Scott CR1.

I've read various reports of people 5'7" feeling the Small is too big, but the XSmall seems to be very short on the tup tube. The sizing charts in Wiggle/Evans etc just don't match up against the frame sizing on the Charge site. Am not sure if anywhere in Edinburgh will stock one but I plan to visit the Evans store over the weekend.

Are there are any Plug owners on here who can offer some advice?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
I went to Evans earlier and had a look at a Small Charge Sink, which looks to have a frame very similar to the Plug.

It did feel borderline too big. I can just about get both feet flat standing over it but it was almost giving me a wedgie. Reach wise it felt just on the reachy side of OK on the flat bars, but I think if it had bull horns I would be slightly too stretched.

So I think the XSmall will be a better fit for me.

Not going to rush a decision though as I might find an alternative. The Plug seems like a good buy for the money if I can get one around £380.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
I looked at the Viking but it seemed to only come in ridiculously large sizes. I will bide my time and wait for some sales!
Is the viking steel frame or alu? Really want to avoid alu as my hybrid is alu frame carbon fork and it's like a pneumatic drill on Edinburgh's cobbles.

I looked at the Viking but it seemed to only come in ridiculously large sizes. I will bide my time and wait for some sales!
Is the viking steel frame or alu? Really want to avoid alu as my hybrid is alu frame carbon fork and it's like a pneumatic drill on Edinburgh's cobbles.
iirc correctly it comes in a 53cm, 56cm and 59cm, a quick look its slightly reduced again. The Viking is steel.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
I think the last time I looked I only saw a 56cm and a 59cm. I wonder if the 53cm would fit me. Less than half the price of the Plug, I can't ignore it as an option.
The bars are very wide though at 44cm. My road bike bars feel a bit too big for me at 42cm - not changed them yet though.
How's it been so far and how many miles have you done. I know you've been on some good long runs on it up here no problem. :thumbsup:

When i first bought it I thought 44cm was very wide (40cm suits me best, Kinesis/ Sirrus are 40cm, Bianchi's 42cm); I've since found it OK, there's actually a lot of space on longer rides to comfortably place your hand on the flats. I've done 430miles on it so far, my longest was 114miles but that was down south. The addition of clipless has been a good move for up here. I took it out for a wee blast tonight en route to the local supermarket for things like that its much better than having to bother about the road bike and is great fun :smile:

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
One thing putting me off the Viking is that at 13kg it's 2-3kg heavier than the Plug.
I'm still leaning towards the Plug I'm afraid!

I couldn't resist it any longer so I've gone for the Viking from Halfords. Collecting it in store - boxed ;).

I had to buy it when I read the section 'what are the benefits'...

also ride in reverse :laugh:

Only kidding . £200 and 3% quidco cash back. Can't really go wrong for a first SS/fixed. Hopefully! :thumbsup:
Its probably the same one with a different saddle/ paintwork/ bar tape. It is a little heavy but its fun, enjoy :thumbsup:

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Its probably the same one with a different saddle/ paintwork/ bar tape. It is a little heavy but its fun, enjoy :thumbsup:

Ta :smile:. Hopefully get to pick it up on Friday if they deliver to store as promised, but probably won't get to try it until the Monday after. Looking forward to it!

Just wondering... apart from a 15mm spanner will I need anything extra for the fixed? I always carry the usual emergency tools.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
nah ,thats it really ,tubes just un case (and levers obv )and a spanner and ur sorted

Nice one ta . I just need to remember to swap the tubes in the hybrid's saddle bag as they'll be too big for the 23mm tyres. Something I'm likely to forget to do! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom