Charging battery outside ideal 15-20c range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Thanks, there doesn't seem to be any discussion about the how's and why's for the stated ideal charging temperature ranges. As I say, if it's about charging rate, efficiency or achieving the highest possible charged state then I'm not so fussed, I just don't want to unecessarily shorten the useful lifespan, yet lugging a 625 watt battery around gets old fast! That said I'm happy to do it if there is a good reason. I'm already cycling between 20 and 80 % and using a smart timer to bring the battery up to 80% just before I depart for work to ensure the longest service life possible in a bid to reduce cost, both the financial and environmental impact that these batteries can have.

I might write to Bosch to find out.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I charge my Bosch 36V whenever they have been used, I don't worry about levels or temperatures I just throw them on charge. I think all my batteries are at least 5 years old.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I've automated the process with a TP Link Kasa smart plug. Since my riding tends to be reliably the same day in day out, with only very minor variation, I've found I can set my charger on a schedule. Upon returning home the battery gets plugged in, the battery then has about 2 hours to return to room temperature up after a cold winter ride. Then the smart plug turns itself on after two hours for an hour and half only, to bring it up to about 60% of capacity. It then switches off again until 4am the next day when it finishes charging up to 80%, just before I depart at 6am. Weekends are also built into the schedule, charged to 60% when I return home, then off until Sunday night. Through a bit of trial and error, I'm within a few percentage points of these targets most of the time. With very little in the way of manual effort I should eek out some decent extra life from the battery. If for any reason I need 100% charge, I can set my charger on remotely with a smartphone or google assistant voice command. It's a pity the charger doesn't have this functionality built in, we're paying enough Bosch! I have thought about building my own app to calculate the charging times, but I've found there are too many variables I don't understand yet.

The two things you can do to maximise life are to cycle the battery between 20-80%, and store at around 60%. My system achieves both with nearly no effort. It was all invested up front by taking a few notes on when and how long the charge took to go up up in increments of 10%. If I had time to kill, I could probably work it out with more granular data in 5, 2 or even 1% increments, but what I've got works well enough for now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom