Charity Events and Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't much care who wears helmets and who doesn't, but I am against compulsion.. This seems to be preventing me entering any charity rides. The latest being the Sports Relief Cycle which has the following bollox in its FAQ

Do I have to wear a cycle helmet to take part?
The Highway Code requires cyclists to wear a correctly fitted cycle helmet. We also recommend you wear a high-visibility jacket or additional reflectors.

Guess I'll just have to donate some money to a charity of my choice and go for a ride on my own.

L14M

Über Member
I wear a helmet, at the end of the day its your risk and your life if you choose too wear one. But i do, I do think though at on charity rides its about insurance a lot though!

OP
OP
morrisman

morrisman

Guru
What I object to in this case is the 'The Highway Code requires cyclists to wear a correctly fitted cycle helmet.' bit. It is not true the HC says cyclist 'should' wear a helmet this not a requirement as they are MUST statements in the HC.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't much care who wears helmets and who doesn't, but I am against compulsion.. This seems to be preventing me entering any charity rides. The latest being the Sports Relief Cycle which has the following bollox in its FAQ

Do I have to wear a cycle helmet to take part?
The Highway Code requires cyclists to wear a correctly fitted cycle helmet. We also recommend you wear a high-visibility jacket or additional reflectors.

Guess I'll just have to donate some money to a charity of my choice and go for a ride on my own.
Write and tell them they're wrong.

They don't actually answer the question Do I have to wear a cycle helmet to take part? They state (incorrectly) what another group thinks and what they recommend regarding hi-vis, but do not give a definitive answer to whether you are required to wear a helmet or not. It's either a poorly worded answer where they do require helmets, or a very clever answer that seems to imply you need a helmet without them having to commit to making a helmet mandatory which may allow them to shift liability.

On the flip side, all the charity rides I do insist on helmets (as do all the races) and it doesn't bother me to wear one when required.

screenman

Legendary Member
2917428 said:
And ban helmets?
If that was his desire. You organise the event you get what you want.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The Fridays ran three charity rides (and raised about a hundred thousand quid) and it took a deal of elbowing (as in 'compulsory helmets, no ride') to get the charity's insurers to back the event without making helmets compulsory.

MarkF

Guru
Slightly OT, my daughter (12) cycles to school, she is the only girl who does. On school "cycling day" where kids were rewarded for cycling in, she was refused permission to participate in the days activities (riding around cones on grass etc :rolleyes:) because she wouldn't wear a helmet. She doesn't own one but I assume her refusal to borrow one at school had more to with her hair than anything else.

"Cycling day" is months ago now, my daughter is still the only girl, in less than 10 pupils, who cycles to school...................

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Slightly OT, my daughter (12) cycles to school, she is the only girl who does. On school "cycling day" where kids were rewarded for cycling in, she was refused permission to participate in the days activities (riding around cones on grass etc :rolleyes:) because she wouldn't wear a helmet. She doesn't own one but I assume her refusal to borrow one at school had more to with her hair than anything else.

"Cycling day" is months ago now, my daughter is still the only girl, in less than 10 pupils, who cycles to school...................
That is a PERFECT example of what's wrong with Australia's mandatory helmet law.

I don't much care who wears helmets and who doesn't,"

It seems to me that morrisman would object to any set of rules. When I was challenge walking we used to have a set kit list that had to be carried, this varied from event to event and changed over the years but there was always some one who did not "see the need to carry item X" as they had never used it. The whole point is that the organizers have to make a decision on what rules apply to their event based on their knowledge of the event. If you don't like what the rules are don't enter the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom