Charity Events and Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Maybe you should read the OP again; @morrisman is already following your advice and not entering the event. He won't be alone in that!
What he's objecting to isn't that the organisers are setting rules - they're perfectly entitled to do that - but the fact that they're lying about the content of the Highway Code. Another example of creeping compulsion.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Yebut, given the lack of evidence to support helmet wearing, being forced / encouraged to wear one is essentially a political act - and for a so called charitiy, or a school say, to enforce a political view of the world is dubious - base on "my ball, my rules"

screenman

Legendary Member
2919622 said:
What gets me is that no one cares whether they are effective or not.
I would think it would be hard to argue that in some circumstances they would not help protect a skull from some damage. In which case I care.

e-rider

crappy member
2917316 said:
I have a friend who wants me to ride a sportive with him later this year. In order to avoid the helmet compulsion I am planning to not register and spend my fee on beer at the end.
I have ridden one sportive 'black' (I was unemployed and skint) - I enjoyed it just as much as the ones I paid for though! Go for it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I would think it would be hard to argue that in some circumstances they would not help protect a skull from some damage. In which case I care.

You've rather missed the point - overall they appear to make little difference (see Australia or Ontario experience, or the Dutch blokes paper etc etc). So accepting what you say is true - ie they sometimes help - then presumably they make things worse in other ways - otherwise they would help overall - which strangely, they appear not to

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The Highway Code requires cyclists to wear a correctly fitted cycle helmet.

Then they need to re-read it, because it doesn't say that. It suggests it, but it can only require things that are backed up in law (hence the HC wording of SHOULD vs MUST)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You've rather missed the point - overall they appear to make little difference (see Australia or Ontario experience, or the Dutch blokes paper etc etc). So accepting what you say is true - ie they sometimes help - then presumably they make things worse in other ways - otherwise they would help overall - which strangely, they appear not to

Or: the situations where they do help are so vanishingly unlikely to occur that the protective effect is not statistically significant.

I think it would have to be a freak occurrence for a helmet to make the difference between a slight and serious head injury, or between a serious head injury and death. Not impossible, but just so unlikely that we cannot detect the effect.

Note that a skull is tougher than a helmet, so for them to help, you would have to suffer a head impact that was in the narrow band where the energy was more than the skull alone could protect from but less than skull+helmet could protect from.

I will certainly agree that a in a low speed collision or off, they could definitely stop you getting some road rash or cuts and scrapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom