Charity man loses benefit after 200 mile cycle ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
simonali said:
I agree. If he can ride a bike, he can work surely?

not necessarily. i can ride a bike but i can't work. i've spent 20 years trying, in various supervised work rehab centres, after an accident and ended up suicidal 3 times, and am heading that way again after spending 5 minutes clearing a handful of leaves out of the gutter.
this bloke stopped every 5 miles and had a support car, he's hardly an endurance rider, but he's done a brilliant ride in the circumstances.
it pales into insignificance when compared to the amount of money our mps are parting us from as "perks" or legal theft depending how you see it.
he should have his benefits reinstated.

col

Legendary Member
I think its rediculous that a man who struggled to do something for charity ,should have this happen.It was his handicap that made it such an effort and worthwhile result,would you expect a person in a wheelchair,who wheeled themselves a large distance,for a charity,to loose their benefits,because he is obviously mobile?:biggrin:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Heather Mills-McCartney gets DLA...........

She will always get it, will never need it and possibly doesn't want it, as she doesn't think she's disabled. but she gets it.

Danny

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:
Heather Mills-McCartney gets DLA...........

She will always get it, will never need it and possibly doesn't want it, as she doesn't think she's disabled. but she gets it.

Do you have evidence that she gets DLA or is this an urban myth?

If she does get DLA it is because she meets the strict entitlement criteria. DLA is one of the most difficult benefits to claim. Getting it involves filling in a lengthy and very complex form, providing supporting medical evidence of your disability, and often undergoing an independent medical examination.

However DLA is not means tested and is paid regardless of whether or not you are working. The aim is to compensate people for the extra costs involved because of having a disability (e.g. having to take taxis rather than walk or go by bus).

So if the man referred to in the OP would be entitled to DLA regardless of whether he was working, and so would Heather Mills (assuming she really gets it).

Saddle bum

Über Member
I know several people who are classed as disabled, who are able to ride a bicycle. On is on sticks with rhumatism and will end up in a wheelchair very soo. He is still able to ride.

I have back problems from injuries suffered may years ago. Standing and walking (on occasions) is painful but I can ride at club standard without a problem.

Fnaar said:
:ohmy:. . . so if he can cycle 200 miles, he can answer a phone, or teach a class, or etc etc....

That's a bit like saying that seeing as Stephen Hawking can operate an electric wheelchair, then he could drive a bus!
Anyway, don't know if he's receiving benefits, even though he is as serious a case as can be found.

peanut

the benefits people in my area office are pure evil unfeeling bastards!

I signed on last Christmas for the first time in 41 years of working. I'm self employed and had not found any work for 3 months . I was broke no savings and huge debts and about to lose my home. I was desperate.

They refused to give me all my rent and told me i would have to move to a cheaper bedsit .
(They couldn't tell me what I would do with all my furniture or how I would fund the removals,new rent and deposit in advance)

I got 8x weeks jobseekers allowance before getting a new job contract.They then sent me threatening letters and demanded 4x weeks money back again.
barstards :sad:

peanut

Saddle bum said:
I know several people who are classed as disabled, who are able to ride a bicycle. On is on sticks with rhumatism and will end up in a wheelchair very soo. He is still able to ride.

I have back problems from injuries suffered may years ago. Standing and walking (on occasions) is painful but I can ride at club standard without a problem.

Thats exactly the case with me too.

I have had to sit in a hard kitchen chair for the past 4 years. I cannot walk far or swim . I have to be very careful not to jar my back so cannot walk on uneven surfaces like grass or gravel and cannot go out after dark because I need to see where each footstep is going .

I can however ride a bike without any pain which is a little miracle . The reason i think is because your bum is fixed on the saddle and hands on the bars makes a nice strong triangle with the bike's top tube . Good bracing for the spine.

My neigbour (a University professor )scoffed at me riding a bike and insinuated my back couldn't be that bad if I could ride. My Doctor refused to accept I had any problem because I could walk in and out of his surgery unaided.
maybe we should write a little guide to help other back sufferers get back some fitness and mobility

PaulB

Legendary Member
What makes me more sick are the brave people on here pontificating on what he can and can't do and demanding he repays the paltry amount of money he gets to assist with his disability. Did you people see that he's being backed by a disabled rights charity? You'd have to accept they know a bit more about it than the rest of us and think he's got a case.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
There are all sorts of disabilities some are very noticeably but some are not, if he was receiving any sort of benefit he would have to see a Department of Works and Pension doctor and pass a test to get benefit you just can’t get it from your own doctor and these test are carried out every 3 years or so and I can tell you these so called doctors are right little ba****ds as soon as you walk in the waiting room you are watched on CCTV and it is not uncommon to be followed out and filmed on video just to make sure that you are disabled.
How do I know all this ....I’ve been there after an accident and damaged my spine and I can ride a bike as well....wearing a nappy, for the first 3 months of last year I could hardly move out of my flat because of pain, this year I would love to cycle JOGLE just to prove to myself, but sadly I don’t think I could do it in reality, but I will keep training as if I give up there will be no point living

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
riding a bike depends on

1. being able to draw breath
2. balance
3. moving a minimal number of muscles

Some of you will know that there is an fnrttc rider who is registered blind. I don't know if he works or not, but it seems to me perfectly reasonable that ticking the three boxes above doesn't neccessarily mean that you can work in anything other than limited circumstances.

However, and it's a big however, employers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to enable people with impairment to work. I'd be more impressed by the tribunal's decision if anything close to a majority of employers were fulfilling this duty.

mikeitup

Veteran
dellzeqq said:
riding a bike depends on

1. being able to draw breath
2. balance
3. moving a minimal number of muscles

Some of you will know that there is an fnrttc rider who is registered blind. I don't know if he works or not, but it seems to me perfectly reasonable that ticking the three boxes above doesn't neccessarily mean that you can work in anything other than limited circumstances.

However, and it's a big however, employers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to enable people with impairment to work. I'd be more impressed by the tribunal's decision if anything close to a majority of employers were fulfilling this duty.

That's right, the DDA!!
Although some employers do what they can to get out of this responsibilty.

Top Bottom