Charlotte's Magical Cruise - 13th May 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A lovely ride today. Myself and LongMartin did an early morning, fast and frantic 50 mile blast down to Ashford to meet the others, where we embarked on a nice, chatty, fun pootle ride to Romney Marsh and Dungeness. With lunch at The Pilot (Of which I was most impressed at how quick the food was served). After lunch it was on to Lydd, not helped by the blasted strong headwinds. Once at Lydd myself and Martin split off as we had time constraints. So it was a battle against the Camber and Rye headwinds but once we turned inland and hit the the Military Canal Road to Appledore we had the wind on our backs. Knocking out the rolling miles to Headcorn station in no time at all where we got the train home.

So thanks Charlotte for organising a great ride. Thanks to all who turned up, such great company. And it was especially nice meeting Charlotte's mum.

20170513_113302.jpg

20170513_115118.jpg

20170513_115131.jpg

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
[QUOTE 4800758, member: 21629"]The very beginning of the ride didn't promise anything nice if talking about the weather. Forecasts said it won't rain and sun will turn up at 1 pm and it will be windy. Headwind as usual.

So we started the ride with the grey sky upon us and I even counted few raindrops (I hope it wasn't somebody's nose?). But we left Ashford and the sun came out at about 10.30 am and stayed with us for all ride. It was really nice to ride in summer kit.

After suffering on my heavy MTB on last Saturday's ride I fell in love with my road bike again. Being featherweight it brought me during all ride with only a few spins of pedals. I even cannot say I felt that headwind (ok, that's also includes riding behind somebody).

The pace was really slow and I think it's the slowest ride I've ever done. And I'm absolutely happy about that because I was able to look around at the nature and take photos, ramble across the road without a fear to hit anyone or to be hit by anyone. Really like that speed. That ride was proper leisure ride.

When we reached the legendary Pilot inn my belly reminded me that last time I've been here I had fish and chips. Mmmmmm fish and chips. And a glass of cider (that's pretty new habit). Also as Ian mentioned the food was served literally in lightspeed. I've got my meal in less than 5 minutes.

And then Ian decided to leave us. Betrayer. Ok, family business ... let it be an acceptable excuse. I've noticed later that tall Martin also has gone.

So bellies full, everyone happy and not drunk and it's time to head further. When we left The Pilot headwind turned into sidewind and I had nothing to do but enjoy the ride almost without pedalling. The wind (even sidewind) simply pushed me further.

But good things don't last forever - soon we went into a cycle path which was made of ... kind of gravel? Something like that. Welcome pedalling ! But that's ok as pace was very slow - you know, full bellies and the gravity becomes stronger ...

Actually that part of the ride between The Pilot and Rye was very interesting. That land belongs to planet Earth but for me it looked like a mix of Earth and Mars.

Finally a few hundred yards before Rye we went into a cycle/pedestrian path wich is surrounded by fields full of sheep. No fences. We even met a very well behaving sheep with her lamb - they were using that path until they met a bunch of cyclists (us) and had to go into a field.

Yes, that path was fully covered with sheep sh1t. Fully. One of those moments when the phrase "sh1t road" has no hidden meaning.
But that last part made my bike very lucky because being very lazy cyclist I washed it probably 2 years ago. Cassette was black. So having my bike covered in stinky sheep's sh1t I had no choice but to give it a full wash at home. I made a discovery - the cassette is actually of silver colour !

So thank you for those who had enough patience to read all that blah blah blah.
In conclusion: the ride, the pace, the riders, the food and even the wind - everything was super. Must be repeated.

Photos as usual:
https://goo.gl/photos/3gk8Yciv8zMvP8Ai8

View attachment 352260 [/QUOTE]
When I was last in that part of the world I was rather glad I brought the gravel bike on more than one occasion! Could n't make this- didn't really fancy a very, very, very long day (at Brixton Academy for Leftfield tonight). Rerun, perhaps...

StuAff

[QUOTE 4800838, member: 21629"]I actually like to ride a road bike in some unusual roads. I always find it funny. The most exotic place I rode was potatoes field. ^_^[/QUOTE]
The Litespeed's built for pretty much anything. The rider isn't :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thank gawd for factor 50

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 4800758, member: 21629"]The very beginning of the ride didn't promise anything nice if talking about the weather. Forecasts said it won't rain and sun will turn up at 1 pm and it will be windy. Headwind as usual.

So we started the ride with the grey sky upon us and I even counted few raindrops (I hope it wasn't somebody's nose?). But we left Ashford and the sun came out at about 10.30 am and stayed with us for all ride. It was really nice to ride in summer kit.

After suffering on my heavy MTB on last Saturday's ride I fell in love with my road bike again. Being featherweight it brought me during all ride with only a few spins of pedals. I even cannot say I felt that headwind (ok, that's also includes riding behind somebody).

The pace was really slow and I think it's the slowest ride I've ever done. And I'm absolutely happy about that because I was able to look around at the nature and take photos, ramble across the road without a fear to hit anyone or to be hit by anyone. Really like that speed. That ride was proper leisure ride.

When we reached the legendary Pilot inn my belly reminded me that last time I've been here I had fish and chips. Mmmmmm fish and chips. And a glass of cider (that's pretty new habit). Also as Ian mentioned the food was served literally in lightspeed. I've got my meal in less than 5 minutes.

And then Ian decided to leave us. Betrayer. Ok, family business ... let it be an acceptable excuse. I've noticed later that tall Martin also has gone.

So bellies full, everyone happy and not drunk and it's time to head further. When we left The Pilot headwind turned into sidewind and I had nothing to do but enjoy the ride almost without pedalling. The wind (even sidewind) simply pushed me further.

But good things don't last forever - soon we went into a cycle path which was made of ... kind of gravel? Something like that. Welcome pedalling ! But that's ok as pace was very slow - you know, full bellies and the gravity becomes stronger ...

Actually that part of the ride between The Pilot and Rye was very interesting. That land belongs to planet Earth but for me it looked like a mix of Earth and Mars.

Finally a few hundred yards before Rye we went into a cycle/pedestrian path wich is surrounded by fields full of sheep. No fences. We even met a very well behaving sheep with her lamb - they were using that path until they met a bunch of cyclists (us) and had to go into a field.

Yes, that path was fully covered with sheep sh1t. Fully. One of those moments when the phrase "sh1t road" has no hidden meaning.
But that last part made my bike very lucky because being very lazy cyclist I washed it probably 2 years ago. Cassette was black. So having my bike covered in stinky sheep's sh1t I had no choice but to give it a full wash at home. I made a discovery - the cassette is actually of silver colour !

So thank you for those who had enough patience to read all that blah blah blah.
In conclusion: the ride, the pace, the riders, the food and even the wind - everything was super. Must be repeated.

Photos as usual:
https://goo.gl/photos/3gk8Yciv8zMvP8Ai8

View attachment 352260 [/QUOTE]
Great write-up and photos. Sad to miss such a good day....but that's how family life is. :-/

StuAff

[QUOTE 4801939, member: 21629"]What about next Saturday, 20th May ? Looks like no official CChat rides on this day. I think Charlotte will be on holiday but we know the route, the must-be stop at The Pilot.[/QUOTE]
Self and a few others will be going round the IOW the previous night. Following weekend would work for me....

Top Bottom