chased by a dog - eek

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

notsolazy

on mixed cycle and pedestrian lanes (such as towpaths etc) they should be on a lead anyway in case they do get run over or hit by a cyclist. That way they are under control and the risk is hugely minimised to both cyclist and dog. I think if the cyclist is not riding stupidly for the conditions and slowing down when passing peds and animals then the owner could be at total fault depending on the precis of the incident, mind you on the other glove so could the cyclist

jann71

Veteran
Davidc said:
It's mentioned above - does anyone know what a 90kg human plus say 25kg of bike and luggage at 30kph (20mph) and at 15kph (10mph) would do to a dog? I'm sure sooner or later I'll be doing the experiment, and not by choice.

I presume it would damage the front wheel, but would it be enough to damage the forks?

Would the dog owner be liable, since they clearly wouldn't be in control of the dog?

I always think of this -

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ri7kNl13A

purplepolly

Davidc said:
Would the dog owner be liable, since they clearly wouldn't be in control of the dog?

The owner is certainly liable if the dog ran out and caused an accident on a road as they are expected to be in control of the animal. I suppose the issue would be whether they are expected to have the same level of control over the dog on shared paths, which are usually viewed as recreational facilities.

BTW people are not liable for road accidents caused by cats

yenrod

notsolazy said:
I was on the last little bit of the cycle route coming to my house (disused railway). I could see a couple and an Alsation in front of me so I slowed down. The couple took hold of the dog and stood to the side to let me past. I thanked them and slowly picked up speed again. I was doing a fair pace when I heard the man yell 'No. Get back here'. I could hear the dog growling snarling and barking. I slammed on the anchors and came to a stop just seconds before the dog went for me. Luckily it missed - phew. Cue the dog owner running up and grabbing the dog that was still running around me snarling and barking and apologising profusely. I hate dogs. :biggrin:

Has anyone else been chased after by dogs, what happened, and what's the best thing to do because there is no way to outpace an animal like an Alsation.

It depends I feel i wouldnt have stopped but give my best shot...to get=away and if that wouldnt have been possible rammed something down its throat ! My pump for instance ! And if would 'damage it' would that make me liabel to legal situations later !

OP
OP
N

notsolazy

yenrod said:
It depends I feel i wouldnt have stopped but give my best shot...

I don't know you or your cycling abilities but it would be very hard to get away from an Alsation going full pelt at you at about 20 mph and you would tire out or have to stop before it would. That's why they are fantastic military animals

Crankarm

Guru
Rather a long post I'm afraid but........

Yup, I've been out running in the local park and frequently had dogs chase and chew me ignoring their owners’ woeful attempts to get them back. I find labradors ok as they are generally good natured and leave you alone. But it's the morons who have other types of dogs that are more unpredictable and aggressive dogs that pee me off. A couple of years ago now twice this old git was exercising his Jack Russell off the lead. First time it chased me, barking and snarling nipped at my left ankle on my Achilles. He came out with all the usual crap that dog owners spout "Awh....He won't hurt you.....He's only being friendly...." Obviously you stupid old man. Put the feckin' thing on a lead for a start. The local park is not your own private garden to allow your dog to terrorise other people and dump all over the place. A few weeks later said same dog made a B line for me so as it got close and started to bark and snarl I booted it firmly with my tight foot. It whelped and flew about 10 feet through the air. The old git went mad that I had hurt his dog. I told him he would be next if he didn't put his mutt on a lead. He was full of all the abuse dog owners usually shout if you don't share their enthusiasm for their mutt as they do when it jumps up on you painting muddy and dirty paws over your clean jacket or trousers. I told him he better have insurance as if his dog ever ever bit me again I would sue him. He walked off shouting that he was going to call the police and get me arrested for booting his dog. Bring it on old git. Keep it under control so it doesn’t go around biting people then.

Other's frequently let their dogs off the lead on the park to pee and dump everywhere without picking up. It is disgusting. The dogs are also a nuisance as they are allowed to charge around with apparently little control by their owners. A drug dealer type bloke exercises two huge Rottweilers in the park. He lets them off the lead when he gets onto adjacent fields. A couple of times one of these has strayed showing an interest in me running around the park, but has for some reason then let me be when it has got near me. Pretty scary stuff.

Then recently walking along a footpath in the country in the middle of nowhere I reached a footbridge going across a stream on which was another Jack Russell type dog. The other side of the bridge about 20 foot long was a large woman talking on her mobile with her back to me and her dog blocking my way.

I called "Excuse me" politely. The dog started barking and growling. As the bridge was raised this thing was chest height and getting closer. I stepped well back but maintained my ground. "EXCUSE ME!" I shouted. The large girl about 25 slowly looked round pissed off that she's been interrupted on her call. She didn't get up. Meanwhile this dog was becoming seriously aggressive. I asked her to call off her dog. She didn’t but scowled at me and continued with her phone conversation. Dog was now off the bridge lunging for my ankles and I was dancing around to avoid getting bitten. I shouted at her to call her dog off and put it on a lead. She looked angrily at me eventually reaching into a pocket for the dog's lead with her other hand still clamping her mobile phone to her ear. She slowly and grudgingly approaches her dog to put it on a lead and remove the threat of getting bitten. The dog makes one final lunge for ankles so I try to boot it but unfortunately miss. She goes ballistic. "Don't you effing kick my dog!" "Keep it under control then you stupid b1tch and keep it on a lead! Why don’t you muzzle it if it’s so aggressive? I have a right to walk along the public path without fear of or actually being actually attacked by your dog!" "Eff off!" she replies then starts talking on her phone again telling some one she is being abused and assaulted by a strange man. She then starts walking along the path in the direction I was heading. The dog still going ballistic. She obviously had no control over it whatsoever. "Please mum come and pick me up there is this strange man abusing me....!" “Why don’t you tell her your dog was out of control and trying to bite me.” I shouted at her. WTF! I walked on leaving her and her dog to themselves.

Anyway walked back along the path about 40 minutes later and fortunately all was quiet. The previous day walking along the same path a dog had jumped up at me but quickly got down and moved on but the lady owner was so apologetic it was unreal. Don’t worry it happens.

Anyway later that evening emerging from my local supermarket this skinhead chap, about 45 years old, built like a barrel, unshaven, tattoos and an earring accompanied by a bleached blond bottle tanned skiny woman and another largish younger blond woman done up in a lot of make up accosted me. The chap was demanding to know if I was the bloke who had abused his daughter while she was out walking her dog. He was blocking my path and in my face. I looked at the three of them. Wasn't sure if the younger woman could be his daughter or not and I didn’t recognise her from earlier. Clothes were different and she had an awful lot of make up on. She certainly looked like every inch a 25 year old woman. Anyway this bloke continues getting very heavy and threatening. I refused to give him my name and asked for his. He refused. This was taking place adjacent to the entrance of my local supermarket so loads of people around thinking what’s all that about. The older woman was shouting something at me at the same time but I can't remember what it was exactly except that she was pretty intimidating as well. The younger woman just remained silent adjacent to them presumably this was the daughter. They told me that they had contacted the police and they were now looking for me. WTF! So I said if your daughter is the woman who let her dog attack me.....then I think you should have the full picture as she clearly hasn’t told you everything. The bloke cut me off and told me I'd abused her. Right. So I told him I too had contacted the police about an out of control dog whilst I was walking. This was getting ugly. So I tried to walk around them. The bloke then got in his new Audi convertible. I unfolded the Brommie. As I did so he sped off and the woman was shouting into her mobile that she wanted me arrested now "Yes, he's here now. He's a cyclist. I want you to come and arrest him now!" I cycled off as I went past her and the younger woman. I told them next time to keep their dog under control and on a lead. The woman then became aggressive. Stupid woman.

Once home I contacted plod and related all including descriptions of the people, rego of the Audi vehicle and name the woman shouted into her mobile phone. Plod was very understanding and said I was totally in the right. The dog owner was at fault for not having her dog under control and all of them should not be intimidating me especially if they have already reported the matter to the police. No way did I have to give them my name or address which I knew anyway.

Then first thing next morning I got a call from a police Sergeant. I related again both incidents to him. He reiterated that the woman had a clear duty to keep her dog under control so it didn't cause alarm or distress which it clearly had. I was only trying to protect myself. He was very interested in these people trying to intimidate me. Since yesterday evening I had become aware that the woman who had been walking the dog worked in the supermarket so that is how she knew where to find me. So I stressed the importance of this link to the Sergeant who was very sympathetic to the possibility of further action against me should they discover my address. He was also in agreement with me in that malicious falsehood about me in the store could be an issue. So he said he would personally speak with these people to nip this in the bud as he put it. I haven’t heard anything yet but have seen the people concerned again. They have not approached me but just looked long and hard at me.

In all a couple of nasty incidents.

On the bike I am rarely chased by dogs unless I cycle through scummy areas and then it is just as much a hazard avoiding the glass and kids as it is the dogs so I try not to cycle along cyclepaths. If one shows an interest I slow down so as not to hit it as I don't want a caved in front wheel, I unclip the nearest foot just in case I need to get it out the way of the jaws of the mutt or boot it, and ready my water bottle if I can spare any liquid to squirt at it.

On balance I’m not a dog fan but on reflection it is dog owners themselves who cause the problems. Licenses for dog ownership should be reintroduced.

Garz

Squat Member
'Oly sheet crank, I'l read this later I think when I finish work and have a spare hour or two ;)

Top Bottom