chased by a dog - eek

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
scook94 said:
Cesar Millan would have been proud of you!

Be the pack leader!

I've had a couple of dogs give chase but generally I've found stopping and giving and assertive and firm 'No!' makes them back off. I'd agree with other people on the thread, they don't always realise you're a human because of the bike and when they do they know they're being naughty.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have........going from 13 to 25 mph in a 42 x 21 is no fun...whilst climbing a big hill. My clubmate turned and legged it down hill...

pubrunner

Legendary Member
roundisland said:
I've not been chased by a dog on my bike yet, but really annoys me when dogs act like that not sure who to blame the owner or dog. I've been biten a few times..guess dogs just dont like me!

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners !
When I had my fearsome black Great Dane X Mastiff, she'd always 'see off' other dogs, but that was always when I was out running. (Sometimes, you have to fight fire with fire)

When cycling, I usually take an anti-dog alarm similar to a Dazer - not cheap at over £30 quid tho. http://www.property-marking.co.uk/shop/erol.html#209X329 (Could do with something similar to use against dog owners)

Davidc

Guru
Letting off a personal alarm seems to make them back off - not too good for your own hearing though.

The only probelm with that is that I only usually remember to carry one at night and the times I've had dog trouble have mainly been during the day.

Hont

Guru
I've had two major incidents. One an old Lab (off the lead FFS) didn't hear me approach and started chasing when I passed. I knew I could outrun it, though, so did. The owner could be heard giving commands that the dog blissfully ignored. I should have turned around and given her a lecture but I wanted to use the adrenaline positively and carried on.

Second far more scary. On a quiet country road a guard dog (Doberman) had somehow got out and was sitting outside it's gate. As it saw me it started growling and barking so I stopped and put the bike between me and it. It then threatened to charge me. I remembered a clip I'd seen on a wildlife show of a tiger charging a camera crew. They basically stood their ground and the tiger broke off the charge before it reached them. So I thought if it works for Tigers it should work here. I stayed still and gradually started inching backwards - all the time keeping the bike between me and the dog - the dog threatened to charge but because I stood my ground didn't actually go for it. Eventually I was far enough away that I could turn around and go back the way I came.

I'm fairly sure the threatening and growling approach would not have worked on a guard dog, so in retrospect I think I did the right thing - don't give them something to chase and don't threaten them by approaching either. Maintain your distance until the owner controls them or until you can get away.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Much of the advice on here is sound, most dogs are essentially bullies though and if they sense your fear at all they will scare you. If the Alsation was going to bite you it would have, rather than run round barking and snarling it justr wanted to scare you.

I almost hit a Neopolitan Mastiff the other week, he trotted across a cycle path right infront of me and I came to a rather undignified stop (now have a very worn back tyre) but thankfully didnt hit him.

His shoulders were the height of my handlebars at least would have been like hitting a wall. Thats the only time a dog had scared me.... although he wasn't even aware of it.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Hont said:
I'm fairly sure the threatening and growling approach would not have worked on a guard dog, so in retrospect I think I did the right thing - don't give them something to chase and don't threaten them by approaching either. Maintain your distance until the owner controls them or until you can get away.

No you're right... if he was sitting by his property and you charged him and growled, he would have gone for you. He was barking to warn you away and you did what he wanted you to do, a dog is less likely to stand up to dominance shown at it if on neutral ground.

jimboalee

On the road between Hurley and Atherstone in N. Warks, there was a dog who lay in a front yard behind some sturdy gates.

No matter which way the dog was looking, it would stand up and look when I was still a good distance away.

As I approached, it would bound up to the gate and bark furiously.

Would you believe the resonance of bicycle spokes is too high frequency for a human ear, but is clearly heared by a dog?

Breedon

Legendary Member
I havent been chased by a dog but when i was younger and riding along the canel at night a rat ran in front of me and then was running along side me, i was shatting my self great big masive thing it was.
I hit a rock went arse over tit and my bike ended up in the canel the lights still on going down like the titanic.

lucky enough i rememberd where it went in and fished it out, lights didnt work after that lol

Near my village on this 3 mile circuit I test my bikes on there is this big fluffy giant dog, sometimes the owner leaves the gate open, one morning I was cycling past and the dog came out, I was doing about 25mph, the bloody thing divebombed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! missed it by about a couple of inches, it attempted to run for me but wont stray away from home.

OP
OP
N

notsolazy

Shaun said:
Very helpful thread.

Dogs and I have a mutual understanding - They don't like me and I don't like them.

my sentiments exactly. I used to like them but I have been attacked quite a few times now, one requiring hospital treatment so im not a fan any more.

Top Bottom