Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apologies. Rather too ... enigmatic perhaps?
^_^
Noooo - I understood perfectly, was just avoiding the question ^_^

Was thinking more in terms of - how have you changed after everything you've seen and done in the last 366 days, if at all? Are you the same F who set out a year ago?

The short answer would be that of course I've changed! What would be the point of a year on the road in foreign parts without some kind of a change?
Of course, that leads into thoughts of where have these changes ocurred? and how real are the changes?

There's also the complicated issue that the world has changed significantly and probably will not be the same again. When change is happening in a changing environment it's very difficult (to my mind) to measure the degrees of change.

One of the goals of this trip was to redress an imbalance in my life after years of a very heavy workload and driving myself way too hard. Mission is being accomplished!

As someone who was terrified for far too long of the dark, of dead things, of a world between the living and the dead I can now say that those days are definitely in the past. A magical moment on the Natchez Trace revelling in the inky blackness, celebrating the unknown sounds and, of course, meeting, approaching and talking to Catarina are proof that previous thoughts are well and truly put to bed.

Learning a new language (for someone who was never good at them!) is turning out to be fun, exciting, fulfilling and very rewarding! I've basically come up with my own "course" utilising a variety of sources and developing my own methods that work for me. There's life in the old brain yet! ^_^

A big one would be learning to let go of "stuff". Anyone who's read this little adventure knows that planning is not my strong point - on a bike!
In my previous life, planning, management and control were as vital to me as oxygen. Coming late to cycling and never really learning to measure my "performance" or to define a bike ride in terms of distance, I experienced a whole new world on a bike - one that was about experiencing things, not measuring or controlling things. (Not all the experiences are good.)
I'd find myself, with varying levels of success to transfer my "bike head" to normal life.
Basically, no matter how well a trip is planned things will happen. The enjoyment of the trip is pretty much based on how we react to the happenings.
You get a puncture? You can moan and bitch and whinge or you can fix it and get back on the road or you can fix it and look around to see what you might have missed without that puncture.
If you're a dumbass you might just spend a day bouncing around Mexican backroads only to find yourself almost back at the start. What to do? Go have a coffee and meet a pretty girl^_^
I think my Covid experience is proof that these ideas are taking a firm root in my operating system. If I can admit to a little pride, I'm very happy with how I'm coping in a country of this size, knowing a handful of people in a time of crisis.
Not every day is easy, but there are far more positives than negatives. Instead of concentrating on what I can't do (or control) I'm looking for what I can do. I can't help but think that this country is designed to help in that, but at the end of the day I'm playing my part and that's more than good enough.

Finally, there's baggage. I'm sure my load is the cause of much mirth but I genuinely believe the heaviest loads we carry are in our minds.
There's something about cycling, the quiet time, the meditative rhythm of turning the pedals that shakes our heads up like a snow globe and gives us the time and space to examine, to reflect and to file past experiences away. The longer the road, the more time there is to do these things. Given the right opportunities we can transform the blizzards of our minds to a calm and still landscape.
I have.

I bet you're sorry you asked the question now ^_^
The thing with change is that it's changeable!
While I've read many, many accounts of bike trips there is a serious dearth of accounts of "what happened next...."
I know I had problems reintegrating into "normal" life after previous trips - I put it down to the trip highlighting the differences between where I was and where I wanted to be with the inevitable conflict from that. I'm hoping that after such a long trip and what will effectively be a new start that there will be no conflict.
But hey, it's a bike tour - anything can happen! ^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I understood perfectly, was just avoiding the question
Figured as much. That's why I pushed ... gently I hope ;)
I bet you're sorry you asked the question now ^_^
Far from it. For me, learning how other folks make sense of their experiences helps me think about what's important for me. What really should matter rather than what I superficially think matters.
There's something about cycling, the quiet time, the meditative rhythm of turning the pedals that shakes our heads up like a snow globe and gives us the time and space to examine, to reflect and to file past experiences away. The longer the road, the more time there is to do these things. Given the right opportunities we can transform the blizzards of our minds to a calm and still landscape.
I have.
Wonderfully put. If someone asked me what I think about while I'm bimbling along, often I'd be hard pressed to provide an answer. I do know though that having the time to reflect and ponder at length has been at times both cathartic (in coming to terms with difficult issues) and inspiring (wrestling with interesting problems to find innovative solutions). At other times I just take delight in a bird twittering in the hedgerow, or drink in the breathtaking view which appears after rounding a bend. I would never have believed I'd be comfortable spending hour after hour allowing the thoughts in my mind to tumble over one another like shirts, shorts and socks in a washing machine. But mostly, just like the clothing, they seem to come out fresh, fluffy and clean ... at the end of the cycle. ;)

Last edited:
Figured as much. That's why I pushed ... gently I hope ;)
No harm done! ^_^
Far from it. For me, learning how other folks make sense of their experiences helps me think about what's important for me. What really should matter rather than what I superficially think matters.
I can't help but wonder how many people do the things they "should" do as opposed to the things they want to do.
Based on a scientific study of one (me!) it took time and practice to develop the "courage" to say "feck travel guide/top ten list etc. I'll see and visit what I want to." To me, the important thing is to be comfortable in where I am as opposed to wondering what I'm missing somewhere else.

It's also raises the importance of compatible travelling companions.

Wonderfully put. If someone asked me what I think about while I'm bimbling along, often I'd be hard pressed to provide an answer. I do know though that having the time to reflect and ponder at length has been at times both cathartic (in coming to terms with difficult issues) and inspiring (wrestling with interesting problems to find innovative solutions). At other times I just take delight in a bird twittering in the hedgerow, or drink in the breathtaking view which appears after rounding a bend. I would never have believed I'd be comfortable spending hour after hour allowing the thoughts in my mind to tumble over one another like shirts, shorts and socks in a washing machine. But mostly, just like the clothing, they seem to come out fresh, fluffy and clean ... at the end of the cycle. ;)

Cathartic? Of course! I haven't had a good trip unless I've wept at least once! 😊

And sometimes some dirty thoughts can be fun too! :angel:

However, all that time and meditation brings up an important point in preparation that is often overlooked - the mental side.
If someone isn't prepared all that time could be spent worrying or doubting or other states of anxiety.
I've met more than a few touring cyclists who were very stressed and did not seem to be enjoying themselves at all.
I'm not suggesting I don't become stressed or anxious, but I really appreciate my time on the bike and if my head's not right I'll take a bit of time to try to make it right.
The perfect bike, the best gear, the latest tech and the best made plans mean very little if the head isn't right.

I think I've just seen my first ever humming bird! - it's tiny!! México's great! ^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I can't get a really good handle on how easy or otherwise Strava is to look at pictures, so if anyone has some feedback or suggestions I'd appreciate it!
From my tablet, where I'm not logged in to Strava, I'm shown only three preview thumbnails. Strava asked me to download the app to view more, but then of course it will ask for an account to be created. That's OK for me since I do have one, though of course other viewers may not, or may be viewing from a PC/laptop where installing an app isn't possible.
This is obviously just my (selfish) preference, but I enjoy viewing photos most of all when they illustrate a narrative and encourage me to try to imagine what it must be like to be there. But that's just me.

From my tablet, where I'm not logged in to Strava, I'm shown only three preview thumbnails. Strava asked me to download the app to view more, but then of course it will ask for an account to be created. That's OK for me since I do have one, though of course other viewers may not, or may be viewing from a PC/laptop where installing an app isn't possible.
Thanks, Ian. It's difficult for me to get a handle on what people can see since this is all done mobile.

This is obviously just my (selfish) preference, but I enjoy viewing photos most of all when they illustrate a narrative and encourage me to try to imagine what it must be like to be there. But that's just me.
I agree 100%.....
In normal circumstances^_^
The fact is that there is so much here to see, to experience and to see again that there aren't enough words!
I've written loads..... but I'm pretty sure reading it will seem repetitive and dull. Just how many dog/park stories can the world take? ^_^

There's one particular neighbourhood that deserves its own book. Every time I visit it I see things I haven't seen before, or that seem different in sun, in rain, in the morning or at night. It's mind scrambling, I tell you! ^_^

I'll ponder some more.

Thanks for the feedback!

tom73

Guru
@HobbesOnTour wordpress or other basic stripped down blogging type site?

@HobbesOnTour wordpress or other basic stripped down blogging type site?
Thanks, Tom.
It's a possibility, but, to be honest, I'd rather keep as much content as possible here.
This is a great little community, the Mods have been great and there's good activity on this thread. The only problem is the 10 pictures per post limit.
I suppose I could use a dedicated blogging site for the pandemic time, but it feels a bit off, really.

I think Ian's right - words and pictures together, perhaps supplementing the pictures elsewhere. I'm playing around with a few ideas over my morning coffee 😊

That's an example of what I'm dealing with - I've walked & biked past that tree numerous times and yesterday noticed that tree for the first time! ^_^

I'm telling you, this city just keeps on giving - it's great! ^_^

tom73

Guru
Thanks, Tom.
It's a possibility, but, to be honest, I'd rather keep as much content as possible here.
This is a great little community, the Mods have been great and there's good activity on this thread. The only problem is the 10 pictures per post limit.
I suppose I could use a dedicated blogging site for the pandemic time, but it feels a bit off, really.

I think Ian's right - words and pictures together, perhaps supplementing the pictures elsewhere. I'm playing around with a few ideas over my morning coffee 😊

View attachment 545951

That's an example of what I'm dealing with - I've walked & biked past that tree numerous times and yesterday noticed that tree for the first time! ^_^

I'm telling you, this city just keeps on giving - it's great! ^_^

Yes very no better place really
You can always have a blog type page and keep it private for when you want to have a play around. With your thoughts and ideas before you write things up. In the same way some always carry a note book about or have one by the bed. So easy to see or think stuff then only to forget when later comes.

In the same way some always carry a note book about or have one by the bed. So easy to see or think stuff then only to forget when later comes.
I always have a notebook (and sometimes a pen^_^) in my handlebar bag, but the simple truth is that a phone just does a better job!
I can write up a quick note related to one or a series of photos, or better still make a voice memo to record a particular place, feeling or event. Long after the moment has passed I have a recording of exactly how I felt at the time - simply priceless.

tom73

Guru
I always have a notebook (and sometimes a pen^_^) in my handlebar bag, but the simple truth is that a phone just does a better job!
I can write up a quick note related to one or a series of photos, or better still make a voice memo to record a particular place, feeling or event. Long after the moment has passed I have a recording of exactly how I felt at the time - simply priceless.

Cool I was not sure what your set up was I do the same notes app is a great go to mind pad.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
There's one particular neighbourhood that deserves its own book.
Can I put in a pre-publication order please?
You should do it. Seriously! There's no shortage of cycle touring books out there, but I've seen nothing which fits the niche of a cycle tourist confined through circumstances to a particular place, especially one as amazing as you're describing Mexico City to be.
I can see it now "Ciclista flâneur en la ciudad de méxico."

Top Bottom