Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
I enjoyed the latest diary entry, the descriptions bring it all alive and the pictures are amazing. Two thoughts as a result.

The first being, with so much to see in a relatively area small cycling any distance, as a target, would be a sin if you missed all people and views.

Secondly, it shows how beneficial learning the local language can be in gaining an understanding of what you see.

Thanks, @HobbesOnTour, entertaining as always.

I enjoyed the latest diary entry, the descriptions bring it all alive and the pictures are amazing. Two thoughts as a result.

The first being, with so much to see in a relatively area small cycling any distance, as a target, would be a sin if you missed all people and views.

Secondly, it shows how beneficial learning the local language can be in gaining an understanding of what you see.

Thanks, @HobbesOnTour, entertaining as always.
Thanks very much @CharlesF I'm delighted to know you're enjoying it.
I really hope that all goes well for you and that soon I'll be able to read about your adventures.

Absolutely true that it would be sinful to miss the detail, however, I am missing more "normal" riding.

Also, the language is proving to be valuable. One of my favourite parts of travelling by bike is that it lubricates interactions. Language is a necessary second step for anything other than simple interactions.
It also has to be said just how open the people are here. It makes interactions, of any level, much richer. These then act as motivation to double down on the Spanish - quite a positive circle^_^

Take care of yourself!

Another great piece.
It is so life affirming and such a positive view of the human condition. Something I find lacking in the UK at times.
Thank you.
Thank you for the kind words.

There is something life affirming in the air here, but in fairness, there is in a lot of places - we can just get out into the habit of looking for it!

I know someone who would see my story of the two young fellas playing in the road as evidence of a dangerous tendency in this country to undervalue life and therefore a very negative thing.
When I saw them dodging the traffic I pulled in just to watch. My focus was less on them and more on everyone else. From my perspective it's a positive story.

I could write an essay on this subject, but the short version would be that the world is often very different to how it's portrayed. To see the real world, meet the people!*

Oh, this smiling thing is contagious! Smile at someone and they're much more likely to smile back! ^_^

I cycled over and back across the UK a couple of years ago and received many kindnesses there. There was one jackass, but he only served to highlight everyone else's humanity^_^.

This, I think, is a great song for our times.

View: https://youtu.be/MPrPtDoaB3s

* It's also entirely possible that I am slowly going crazy and my perspective is totally banjaxed^_^

netman

Veteran
The truth is Willie that I am taking gazillions of photos^_^
I can only only post 10 per post here so there's a lot missing out.
I have a couple of ideas, though, to try and get some more up, either here or Strava or Instagram.

Thanks again for the kind words!

I'd be happy to set you up with a free online Blog for this (I work in IT) - there's Blogger or Wordpress (only up to 3GB is free) and I'd happily help copy what's already on this site... it would be good to have a second copy online all in one place with more photos... your writing certainly deserves that! Or we could even set you up with your own domain and hosting if you preferred that? PM me if you're interested - would be a cool project!

CharlesF

Guru
@netman Excellent idea

What perfect timing for @Shadow - random acts of kindness from (real world) strangers! ^_^

Thank you @netman for your kind and very generous offer.

When I was thinking about this trip one thing I knew for sure was that I wanted a record kept. I want someday, when I'm old, decrepit and grumpier to look back on a great big adventure.^_^

Heading away on my first ever bike tour (along the Danube, my bags being carried from hotel to hotel^_^) was one of the best things I ever did. What I saw and ate and drank could have been anticipated, but how I felt? Naw. Nothing could have prepared me for that.
That little jaunt set in train a series of life changing decisions that has me ultimately where I am and I regret not a single thing. (Well, maybe that I didn't start this touring thing earlier!)

That's a very long winded way of saying that this travelogue has a second purpose - to inspire anyone (and I mean pretty much anyone) to throw a leg over a bike and cycle....anywhere....for an adventure.
If i can do it.....anyone can.

I set about looking at the options and what was best for me in the situations I envisioned.
The leading bike touring website, CGOAB was denied to me (slightly embarassing pubic admission coming up😊) because I was banned! Never been banned from anything in my life!

I didn't like the feel of the commercial blog sites - they were too clean, too organised, too slick. I'll admit to being clean (most of the time^_^) but organised and slick are not two adjectives normally associated with me^_^)

Then I discovered the Travelogue section here, hidden away in the back. (I'm tempted to throw up a Dirty Dancing reference here but don't want to ruin my manly, macho image 😀).

I tested out writing up my trip to Ireland (on the phone) and realised how it could work very easily.
I had chats with the mod team because this would be slightly different from what went before, certainly in terms of length. They have been fantastic to me since before I started.

I can't think of a better place to record this trip. A parallel or secondary hosting site would seem disrespectful to this site, the mods and to everyone reading this here.

This site is a fantastic community, friendly and helpful in the main and as a part of this community it behooves us all to keep it that way. I don't mean to come across as egotistical but I'd like to see my Travelogue and this chat thread as a part of my effort in that.

@netman has played his part in that and there are others who have contacted me privately to offer help and words of encouragement too.
I really couldn't be happier than to have this as the only place to record my trip.

Thanks again, @netman

Hi Frank, Amazing trip so far. Got talking to Josine & Jeroen about you trip. Temporary stranded in Mexico but living life pure and at it’s fullest. Comparerd to my mini sabbatical in NZ and Perth last year for 3 months in 2019 your trip/travel is epic. I enjoy reading your posts and love the pics. Take care, safe travels and greetings from Fluffy (Tilburg Aussie) and Mrs. Fluffy

What an amazing adventure ... if not an "aventura"!

You've been so far ...
... but how far have you come ...
... and where are you now?
And there was me thinking you were following along ^_^

I could be a whole lot worse off!

Top Bottom