Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Reading your posts is always a treat sir, but your latest in Mexico City was an absolute gem. I had no impression whatsoever of what it might be like. Since I would never be likely to visit, I've simply never spared it a moment's thought. After reading your post I'd now love to explore, experience and savour some of the many delights you describe.

It sounds like it's totally captured your heart and I completely understand why you're keen to tarry a while. What a wonderfully serendipitous discovery. If this catastrophic situation had not developed and you'd not been obliged to change your plans. And if you'd not found sanctuary with these particular hosts. What then? Carpe diem 👍

cwskas

Über Member
A six street junction controlled by traffic lights … A mass of cables and power lines, seemingly in a massive tangle … Trees. Everywhere trees! … And smiles. So many smiles … experiencing an earthquake … Mexico City has happened to me … I've fallen, and fallen hard, for this place.

Parks … squirrels … architecture … people … Centro Historico … monuments … the city is so alive … road noise … vender noise … people noise … museums … big puddles … dodgy surfaces … making up my own spanish course … adventurous for sure!

… for a city of this size, at a time of such crisis, it is incredibly welcoming!

I took hardly any photos simply because I didn't need to. I have the most precious gift of time and I'll be back again.

I wanted to reply to so many different things ... such a good post! :notworthy:

Thank you again for sharing your pictures and narratives of your adventures.

Willie

Thanks @IaninSheffield and @cwskas for the compliments 😊

I'm the worst judge of my efforts, but I'm enjoying it! Wandering around this great city the words are are piling up in my poor brain! Some of them even are Spanish words ^_^

You're absolutely right, Ian, about the serendipity of the situation. So many ifs and so many positives. I'm incredibly lucky!
But isn't that touring in a nutshell?
Hope for the best
Prepare for the worst
Be happy with what you get.

CH99

Regular
Update - finished ;)

Couldn’t stop reading it. Your genuine love for touring and Mexico in particular was infectious.

Never read a bike touring blog before and I’m not sure I’ll read another because I’d only be disappointed.

Seriously ballsy decision to stay put and it reads as though you without question made the right call. Wishing you all the best for your continuing adventure in Mexico City. Staying put doesn’t mean you can’t update, I’m sure we’d all love to hear what you’ve been up to :smile:

Stay safe

Thanks @CH99 for the kind words. I can't recommend CrazyGuyOnABike.com for a fantastic selection of journals from all over the world. Great, inspirational reading! Maybe not for now, but certainly for those long, winter nights!

From Charleston to México in a day is pretty impressive travelling! And now you want more? ^_^

I am working on a couple of posts - the problem here is that almost every day is full of things worth remembering and trying to organise everything into something logical is proving quite difficult! México and logic appear to be two words that do not naturally sit well together - meant in the best possible way!

You say I made a brave decision to stay put. What has to be remembered is that I was already in México for three months at that stage and my experience (and gut) led me to believe that this was as good a place as any to stay.

Forgive me if I come across as a bit of a twat, but the great thing about travelling on a bike is that we have the chance to connect with real things. In the real world. We're not clock watching, we're not measuring ourselves. We're seeing things as they really are - not on a screen, not through a window. We're feeling things as they really are (not always pleasant! ^_^). I believe that allows us to tap into parts of us that we don't normally use in day to day life. Instinct. Gut feeling. Call it what you want, but I believe it's there.
My decision was mainly based on that (and not having a home to return to! ^_^)

I haven't been proven wrong in the meantime.

I'd also like to add, probably late at this stage, but sometimes dark clouds can hover around a bit too long. This chat thread has been a bright sun and a gentle wind at times, breaking up those clouds and sending them on their way.

So, a little late, but a heartfelt thank you to all the contributors on this thread.

Edited to add:
There's many great travelogues right here! Support your own community!

Last edited:

CharlesF

Guru
Hey, Hobbs, it was sad to read that you have had some dark clouds as I have, selfishly, been reading your posts ( and drinking in your brilliant pictures) as my own silver lining, without a though that not everything is always rosy.

Take heart that you have lifted many spirits With your Big Big Trip Journal and we are all here for you, if only in spirit.

Thanks @CharlesF for the words and the sentiment.
It's nothing serious and nothing to worry too much about.

It's always nice to read a positive comment and sometimes I dip in here to reread some of the nice things you good folk have said 😊

Normally, on the bike I can drop a negative mood on the road and cycle away from it until it's lost way behind me. Being less mobile that's a bit more difficult to do!

I'm loving my time in México, even if it's not in the way i anticipated. As good as it is, there are certainly scenes and events that would require a heart of granite not to be touched.

Sometimes I need a little lift and with time differences and the like this thread is always there.

I just wanted to record that fact and express my gratitude.

Seeing as Mexico City is to the fore, this makes interstellar reading Crowd-sourcing mapping
Interesting article, thanks.
Yes, i've seen those buses - in fact every town or city has them here, but I've no idea how they work ^_^. All I know is they'll go anywhere.....and stop whenever and wherever they want ^_^

They're just one branch of the many, many "unofficial" services available in this country.

I think it's quite an innovative approach for the Government to encourage out of the box thinking by experts in different fields.

Top Bottom