Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do not know which is your beverage of choice when you need a cold one but this just to let you know that the Mexican government has announced that beer is non-essential product and so Corona lager production is being wound down in the 11 breweries in the country. There is a slim possibility production could be re-started if it is deemed to be an agricultural business.
Sales have unsurprisingly fallen dramatically partly due to its unfortunate name.
Beer is pretty low down on my list of priorities at the moment 😀,. But I'm not surprised sales are falling for Corona - sometimes I wonder about people's intelligence!

As for closing the breweries, that is interesting and news to me. 40% of Mexicans live in poverty. A European style lockdown faces many, many challenges here due to this poverty. People do not have the money to stock up, nor do many have any option to just stay home from work. I've mentioned the micro-economy that I have seen in action, especially the food operations. These will be decimated and the government does not have the resources to bail everyone out.
In a similar vein access to clean and safe water is an issue. Water deliveries will have to continue, again affecting the effectiveness of any lockdown/social distancing.

Keeping the breweries open might relieve the pressure! 😀

The weekend just gone by was tough.

Saturday morning started with a tweet (I've just joined Twitter) from the Irish Embassy stating that the Government were closing hotels and hostels and that I should "go home".

This was followed up with an email with the same advice/instruction.

Since this is not exactly my situation it left me concerned - for my hosts as well as myself. The last thing I want is to get them in trouble.

It reopened the whole "should I stay or should I go" debate, not something I am taking lightly.

What I really needed to know is if the Mexican Government are kicking all foreigners out. This is not something that I have seen explicitly anywhere else. Many countries have closed hotels etc. and made it extremely difficult for foreigners to stay, but none I've seen have kicked any out.

A personal reply to that question came an hour or two later. On a Saturday! The Embassy folk are working hard!

In the meantime I had a chat with my hosts and am blown away by their commitment to a stranger.

By Monday evening I'd spoken with the Embassy again and reassured somewhat and my hosts had spoken to the head of tourism for the State. They were told that - wait for it - their responsibility was to my good health and that my leaving at this time would be too risky!!

It took me a while to process that since it was not the response I was expecting.

When it comes to Mexico I find mere words are not enough to describe the place. I can't begin to describe just how lucky I am to be here at this time.

My hosts have their own problems. They've taken their business offline, have staff they worry about and I have some company - a mother/mother-in-law who has been confined to a wheelchair for 30 years and two nephews, here to wait out the lockdown. The older lady is a delight, feisty and full of spirit! The two young lads were a little shy but one needs help with his English and the other wants me to shoot penalties at him! And they brought a puppy so now I have two dogs to play with!^_^

The title of my travelogue refers to the fragility of plans - a reference, I thought, to the difficulty in getting this trip off the ground. Ha! How naïve was I?? :laugh:

Sunday, for personal reasons, was a significant day for me. I had often wondered where I would be and what road I'd be riding. My Dad died on that date and for years I've taken a little time to remember him as best I can. It may sound silly, but I'd been looking forward to riding with him in Mexico on that day. But, as is the way with plans……

Still, when I look at where I am and the situation I'm in it sure seems like someone is looking out for me!

forgive me hobbes - am sure it's in one of your posts - where do you know these wonderful hosts from?

and more congrats to the irish embassy - you are lucky - have long had the impression that Brits aren't too on the ball/well resoursed when btits are in potential pickles abroad.

Just wanted to say thanks and wish you all the best @HobbesOnTour - I am an avid cycle tourist and stuck at home with mild CV19 I have literally just spent 9-5 today reading your trip in full detail. Look after yourself!
That's praise indeed!^_^ I've read some of your blogs too! ^_^

Take care of yourself.

I've been struggling this morning to write up the last day of my Camino travelogue - I just don't want it to end! ^_^

None of us can tell when we'll be able to have adventures on our bikes again and the world is full of bad and scary news reports. The real irony is that travelling on a bike just reinforces what a good, friendly and fantastic place the world really is!

I can't wait until we're all able to get back out into it!

Be well!

@HobbesOnTour . How are you getting on, all well I hope?

I thought of you as we’re watching a Rick Stein in Mexico episode. His food, description and pictures, is making my mouth water and we have just finished a great pasta dinner!
Well, @CharlesF if you were trying to drag me down by mentioning food you've certainly succeeded! ^_^
Between you and the bakery addict @IaninSheffield I'm hovering on the brink of a food depression! :laugh:

To be honest, it's been a bit like being on a roller coaster the last couple of months - a glacial rollercoaster - sometimes up, sometimes down and sometimes hanging upside down ^_^ just in very slow motion!

I have left the grounds three times until today, each time to go to a supermarket in the city. Tomorrow, I'm going to out on the bike for a while. There is wonderful country around here and I can't stay doing nothing.

My concern up till now has been to avoid bringing any hassle to the doorstep of my hosts but we've had a chat and all seems good.

Things in Mexico are not good. In fact the WHO is saying that the Americas are now the epicentre of the outbreak. It's not the worst hit, yet, but they're starting to open up despite the fact that the scale of the problem is underreported.

Guatemala is horrific. They were so overwhelmed that bodies were being placed on the street and left for days.
In Peru crowds tried to leave Lima to return to their rural homes because they were starving. Police opened fire.
Brazil is a basket case.

All of Latin America is suffering from extreme poverty due to the closure of the informal/micro-economy. When people can't work for a day they don't eat that day.

Just down the road there's an encampment of the "caravan", those folks en route to the US from Central America. They are flagging down traffic looking for money.

The ban on hotels etc. operating is being lifted so I am considering moving to Mexico city. My hosts need all the income they can get and I'm currently occupying their best room!

I don't see how my plans can survive. I'm reading as much as I can as to what is going on - everywhere.
From a purely selfish point of view Central America is a frightening prospect for the foreseeable future. In theory, I could possibly skip down to maybe Argentina by plane at some stage and hopefully things would have improved by the time it was time to head north again.

Another alternative is to head to the US. Certainly the run up to the election would be a very interesting time. Texas is plenty big to keep me amused for a while ^_^ However, it's a lot more expensive and the border will most likely be closed to me for quite a while.

I'm in no rush to go back to Europe. I'd need to get a job and that's not looking likely. So long as I can be safe, and not be a problem for others I'm happy enough to stay put. In the short term I'd like to see if I can sign up for some voluntary work and actually contribute something.

On a positive note, my Spanish is getting better^_^ - or at least I think so! But so many vowels!! My tongue is getting a great workout! ^_^
Duolingo is a great app for the basics and practice. There's an element of competition to it which makes me do it even when I don't feel like it. There's lots of YouTube lessons too, so between the app, the videos and my own little stories it keeps me amused.

I really, really miss the journey. Different places every day, different people, wonderful food :laugh:. I was looking through old photos (Google Photos is great!^_^) for the inspiration thread and it both cheered me up and dragged me down!

I keep telling myself how lucky I am. And I really am.

Hoping that y'all are keeping well!

As Bruce would say, see you further on up the road ;)

Top Bottom