Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cwskas

Über Member
The monument to Peace on the plaza . . . declares that this is the time to create a new history, to be able to disagree without becoming enemies.
What a great idea! I can think of at least 2 governments (US & Texas) who seem to have forgotten what it is like to work together for the betterment of all.

In an attempt to keep my anonymity I will not say who is who ^_^
Hint . . . He recently posted about trimming his beard!

^_^

The hills are slowly subsiding! Washing away in all those little waterfalls by the side of the road! :laugh:

Trust me - the hills are still here!^_^

A very descriptive post! I am ready for the movie!
"Hobbes in the Andes"
Nope! No video cameras on this ride!^_^

Day 777 . . . 123km
Quite the contrast today to recent days. Nice photos of 'Rural Columbia'. I especially like the last river picture.
Yes, it was a bit different. It felt good to knock out a long day

Hint . . . He recently posted about trimming his beard!

^_^
Not fair, Willie!
You actually know what I look like!^_^

I've reached the stage of life where I take very few photos.
Photos can never capture the 'true' colour, the feel, the heat/cold, the smell, the feeling of the moment. I have some older photos that I look at and immediately feel the sweat and the tropical heat where they were taken. :sweat:

I now take pictures for myself and my memories. I see a scene and almost imagine a 'click' as I blink at what I see or I do the 'panorama shot' as I look around.

I, however do not have the CC audience waiting/hanging on my next instalment, so please keep at it, I'm loving it and all the pics ! :wub:
I understand what you're saying and if anything I'm going in the opposite direction^_^

The camera helps me to record all the small details of a day on the bike that would otherwise be forgotten in all the detail. Just point and click and I've a reminder for writing up later.

There's the process too, the act of stopping, made easier it seems by the urge to take a photo.

Later, there is the process of reviewing the day's photos and selecting the ones for this travelogue. It's a very rewarding experience and I can't help but think that it helps enbed the memories properly.

Absolutely there are not many scenes that can be transferred to a photo without losing depth, scale and intensity, and, as you say there is a lot missing - the temperature, sounds, aromas. The photos, especially the reviewing process, are gentle prompts.
The thing is, I need prompts. Moving on every day as I (usually) do things can get confused and a bit blurry.
Writing from the photos can really bring every little detail back.

I think the combination of the written word and the image is a winner.

I've said it before that keeping a travelogue is one of the best things I've done and that I'd encourage anyone to do the same - publication not necessary. It's a great way to remember what we saw, heard, smelled and most importantly how we felt.

Google throws up old photos at me now and only a handful will bring me back to the time and place. The photos from this trip? Every single one!

I recently read elsewhere of a touring cyclist encountering another on the road. They were stopped and staring into what the poster thought was space. It made them uncomfortable. When the space starer asked the poster if they had cried on the bike it seemed like confirmation that something wasn't right.
Well, maybe I'm a bit mad but I regularly stop and absorb all that's on offer and I'm not immune from shedding a tear or two along the way either.

I get a lot of positive reactions from people when they see me pulled up and taking photos. I normally have a big smile on my face but I think most people like the idea that a traveller is enjoying their country.

Just to add, as a non competitive cyclist with zero interest in tracking progress I love, absolutely love, my Strava record of each day. A map, vital statistics and lots and lots of photos. A chance to relive the road day by day whenever I want.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I've found myself welling up a couple of times in the past couple of days. There have been many moments of pure elation, intense satisfaction, gratitude and beauty that I think there'd be something wrong if some emotion didn't leak out.
Anyone would think you were actually enjoying this trip ! :laugh:
I am so damn lucky to be doing what I'm doing and the last couple of days, especially, hammered that home.
Yes – but you have made your own "luck" and are now reaping the rewards in shed-loads ... as are we ! :wahhey:
I stopped and savoured an orange sitting on a wall in dappled shade.
I pulled up on a long bridge and had a chat with a farmer.
I stopped at a barking dog and he came over to be my friend and investigate my panniers.
Best of all a butterfly landed on the bike as I rested.
Now that is poetry. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Last edited:
Yes – but you have made your own "luck" and are now reaping the rewards in shed-loads ... as are we ! :wahhey:
Thanks for that.
It's quite true but I have a bad habit of not taking credit for personal things that I do that turn out well. (And everything bad is my fault^_^)

But I'm still lucky!
Today, after dawdling and foostering for most of the day I was checking in to my hotel when the heavens opened^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Loved the image of the leaf cutter ants. With the butterfly picture from earlier, you're becoming quite the entomologist! I can see it now - 'Roadside Wildlife' by Hobbes.

Now to test your arboricultural expertise - why are the bases of the tree trunks are painted white in Fresno plaza?

Loved the image of the leaf cutter ants. With the butterfly picture from earlier, you're becoming quite the entomologist! I can see it now - 'Roadside Wildlife' by Hobbes.

Now to test your arboricultural expertise - why are the bases of the tree trunks are painted white in Fresno plaza?
Oh dear Lord!
I'm back in school!^_^
I'm going to guess that the paint has some kind of of protective function.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Loving the arty-farty pics ! :wub:

Hope you've got your sunblock ..... or maybe you reckon you're too old ! :whistle: ;)

Just a heads up.....
The Formula 1 this weekend is from CDMX. As far as I know it's a circuit within the city so there may be some interesting footage.
It's also the end of the rainy season so there's always the possibility of carnage on a grand scale if that's your thing^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Total Climb Two thousand asnd forty eight feckin' meters (2048)
You may be aware that in the binary world of computing, a kilobyte is not 2000 bytes as one might expect, but 2048.
So your climb could be claimed as a kilo-climb. Or should that be a killer climb? :giggle:
I'll get my coat.

An amazing achievement though. I'm not sure I'd have found the fortitude, let alone the energy, to undertake such a challenge.

Top Bottom