Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You may be aware that in the binary world of computing, a kilobyte is not 2000 bytes as one might expect, but 2048.
So your climb could be claimed as a kilo-climb. Or should that be a killer climb? :giggle:
I'll get my coat.

An amazing achievement though. I'm not sure I'd have found the fortitude, let alone the energy, to undertake such a challenge.
Well, you're the one that likes their numbers round^_^

I prefer to think of it as 2km. Do you have any idea how far I'd have to cycle in NL to clock up 2kms of climbing?^_^

As for the fortitude aspect......
You have to remember I had no idea what I was doing^_^
I didn't know anything about the significance of the road until I had finished it!^_^
I only had my own rough calculations.
After the last descent before the final push to the top I really had no choice but to continue on (or camp). 😊

However, had I known I may have gone differently simply because I don't really see myself as a cyclist and the world's longest climb must be off limits for me, right?

Interestingly, my alternative route over backroads (rejected because of the weather and a lack of accommodation) had this warning yesterday!

Things could have been a whole lot tougher! ^_^

Congratulations on completing the Climb, a huge achievement and I am super impressed!
Thanks Charles and I hope you're doing well.
It's a bit of a strange one. I'm not feeling a huge sense of achievement (maybe just a little one😊) but I am highly, highly amused with myself^_^

I've been trying to think how I could have incorporated this into my "planning process" but short of Googling "ultimate cycling roads" (not something I'm likely to do) it was just a happy coincidence.

That's what I enjoy about bike adventures - the things that happen that haven't been planned for.

The more I think about it, I think I'd have been less likely to enjoy it if I knew just what I was attempting. My mindset would have been different.
And I did enjoy most of it, immensely. The views were outstanding, humbling and from a far away world (for me).
Probably a lot of the last three hours to the summit in the rain I didn't. Starting the final push for the summit after dropping all those meters? Heartbreaking!
But that's three hours out of three days riding. They're not bad odds. At all.

:bravo::bravo::notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Well done getting over the climb. No wonder someone wanted to film you.
Thanks!

You know, I hadn't thought of the video dude like that. You're clearly a more charitable person than I was at the time^_^ I'll try to remember that angle for the next time!

I've had lots of people ask for photos and take videos but they do it (at the very least) with a smile.
I couldn't even get a proper look at the guy.

I look at the map and wonder what is he doing, he's going round in a circle just when I thought the was heading for Bogota. Thought of posting such wondering and then thought, no, he has a plan and all will become clear in due course.

To come back to this there's now an album of the highlights of what I call The Barbosa Loop.
An ugly town, not terribly friendly but great fun and adventure doing a big circle from it!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DmW2eqQKZ5ypi1Pa8

cwskas

Über Member
Things could have been a whole lot tougher! ^_^
You probably wouldn't have gotten many pictures of a landslide either! :laugh:

The pictures you got early in your climb were breathtaking and I am sure will stay in your memory for a long time. I was thinking that the biggest negative about the climb was the fact that there were so few opportunities to visit with the locals. But you did manage that as well!

Willie

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Now, when I say "uninspiring landscapes" it should be understood that I'm speaking relatively.

Another way of thinking about that paragraph listing my complaints is that I'm speaking out of my ass!
I'm on my bike in Colombia, in the coffee triangle and I'm whinging that the scenery isn't up to snuff!
Spoilt or what?^_^
I love the way you re-assess your mind and tell it to behave ! :laugh:
Yes! The sky really was that threatening! There were regular times when a few raindrops fell but the sky was happy just to threaten
That's so beautifully put. :thumbsup:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Manizales looks like a bit of a 'culture shock' – to me at any rate ! I'm now so used to your laidback, relaxed journeying that, coming to what looks like a big city, is a bit ... well, even daunting, I'd say :unsure:. From a gentle, relaxed pace (ok, uphill too :notworthy:) to 4-lane highways and the speed and bustle of the big city. :hyper: :surrender:

...... As well as ascending to crazy heights on my bike I'm mining down into the soul of Colombia in these places.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:. The difference between being a Traveler and a tourist. :okay:

Some of those views from up looking down are staggering !

1636381969728.png

Am I the only one to see an angelic being flying across your photo ? (just below and right of the sun...)

Hope the ankle/foot gets better quickly ! :hugs:

Manizales looks like a bit of a 'culture shock' – to me at any rate ! I'm now so used to your laidback, relaxed journeying that, coming to what looks like a big city, is a bit ... well, even daunting, I'd say :unsure:. From a gentle, relaxed pace (ok, uphill too :notworthy:) to 4-lane highways and the speed and bustle of the big city. :hyper: :surrender:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:. The difference between being a Traveler and a tourist. :okay:

Some of those views from up looking down are staggering !

View attachment 616977
Am I the only one to see an angelic being flying across your photo ? (just below and right of the sun...)

Hope the ankle/foot gets better quickly ! :hugs:
It was a bit of a culture shock, alright. Very busy. I was quite disturbed at the lack of places to relax - traffic was everywhere! It helped reinforce the idea that avoiding Bogotá and Medellín is not such a bad thing. I'm sitting in a little Plaza now in a much smaller place and it is so much more relaxing.

Yes, the views were impressive! Easily reached on foot from the centre and places have been made for people to gather and enjoy them. I really like that! I recall being appalled in Costa Rica at how much beachfront was "private" and only for the access of hotel/restaurant/bar guests.

I'm not seeing any angelic beings but the cloud does look like a dinosaur!^_^

I forgot to put it in a post but one of the days on the Alto de Letras I had a view of a large bird, a hunting bird I like to think, soaring in the sky but way below me. It was one of many magical moments, emphasising the height I was at but also the beauty right in front of (and below) me.

cwskas

Über Member
Pishing rain and I see some misty hills, what else to do except stop for a photo?^_^
Sounds reasonable to me! :okay:

The world's biggest coffee cup! Wrapped in plastic!^_^ . . . I could only laugh and laugh I did, loudly and from the belly. I think I may have disturbed a few locals. A lap of the Plaza and it was coffee time! A delicious coffee from a trailer and a bit of people watching. It wasn't the hidden cup but the place didn't speak to me at all. The coffee was good, the girl was friendly and smiley but I wasn't feeling much at all.
A few locals may have thought you disturbed! :wacko:

By rights I should have been happy with myself - out of Manizales in the rain, the ankle was ok and I'd arrived with lots of time to explore. But there was nothing down there or over there that called out to me.
Great news that the ankle is is OK.

Out with Osmand, a new route to Gizmo and off I went!
A new route, new vistas, new possibilities, new encounters . . . what motivation!

Willie

Top Bottom