Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just had to quote that here. Everything costs something! Well done and I am sure quite satisfying.

Hope you are back on top of the weather soon!

Willie
😊 It's incredibly satisfying!

I'm sure someone will read it with rolling eyes but I think it's important to remind ourselves what we have achieved. For way, way too long I'd have focused on what I had failed to do or what still had to be done. So much healthier to do this.

And to be grateful for what we have rather than what's missing.

I'm stopping a lot these days (and not just because of the feckin' hills^_^) to savour where I am, what I am seeing, hearing, smelling and feeling.

I used to do the same when I first restarted riding a bike. There was a spot along a canal that was my regular stop off point for a bit of reflection. Even on my commute I had a few places to stop and appreciate. A great way to set me up for work.

I highly recommend it!^_^

Alex321

Veteran
That photo of the mountain town storm drain reminded me of Singapore, when I lived there for 18 months aged 11-12 (my Dad was in the RAF and was stationed at Changi).

The "interesting one" could be a death trap if you weren't ready for it.

Ha, the education this thread brings is endless! Basilica: I thought this was essentially a grand church; larger than a church, less impressive or imposing than a cathedral. Not right, but not too wrong either. In a religious sense, it is a building with double colonnades and apse.

'Anyone following this on a map is going to look and wonder just what the hell I'm doing! '
I look at the map and wonder what is he doing, he's going round in a circle just when I thought the was heading for Bogota. Thought of posting such wondering and then thought, no, he has a plan and all will become clear in due course.

A lot of Irish were involved too, often rising to high station in their adopted countries having arrived in that part of the world courtesy of the British as convicts or sailors.
So true. There was an Irish bar in Montreal, QC that had about 6 or 7 examples of such elevated social standings written on the paper 'placemats'. It was astonishing, now I wish I had not binned the one I kept as a souvenir for many a year.

And to be grateful for what we have rather than what's missing.
So, so true.

I'm stopping a lot these days (and not just because of the feckin' hills^_^) to savour where I am, what I am seeing, hearing, smelling and feeling.
Which is wonderful for us too, it helps bring alive more detail of your journey. Keep pedalling, keep stopping!

Ha, the education this thread brings is endless! Basilica: I thought this was essentially a grand church; larger than a church, less impressive or imposing than a cathedral. Not right, but not too wrong either. In a religious sense, it is a building with double colonnades and apse.
I learn something new every day!
I found it grotesque, functional and intimidating outside, horribly ostentatious inside. I visited three times in total and never felt comfortable. It's the "fanciest" church I've been in for quite a while and I couldn't think of anything more inappropriate to celebrate the son of a carpenter.

'Anyone following this on a map is going to look and wonder just what the hell I'm doing! '
I look at the map and wonder what is he doing, he's going round in a circle just when I thought the was heading for Bogota. Thought of posting such wondering and then thought, no, he has a plan and all will become clear in due course.

I like that you think I have a plan^_^
The (unplanned) trip to the bridge (Battle of Boyoca) is what turned a short loop into a longer one! It will make a good story for future Colombians that I meet.

Still no intention of visiting Bogotá although I'm reconsidering Medellín. Apparently, after Santiago in Chile it is the best place to live in South America!

So true. There was an Irish bar in Montreal, QC that had about 6 or 7 examples of such elevated social standings written on the paper 'placemats'. It was astonishing, now I wish I had not binned the one I kept as a souvenir for many a year.

Yeah, we get everywhere!^_^ I've a copy of "Wherever Green is Worn" by Tim Pat Coogan (Irish historian) which paints a detailed global picture of Irish influence all around the world. It's particularly interesting in this part of the world. Even watching the news the other day someone was giving a speech with an Irish surname.

Keep pedalling, keep stopping!
I will!^_^
I am finding Colombia very, very comfortable. While people are not as outwardly expressive as in say, México, there are always one or two people who make a point of engaging me in conversation in every small town.
Not having an imaginary ticking clock counting down the time helps a lot too.

Something for @cwskas

I have no idea of the make but it's from 1952.
The rear bumper is of solid wood!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I gave myself a gift today. The gift of a day. A day in small town Colombia.

After breakfasting, packing up and taking one last look at the early morning Plaza from my balcony (I had a balcony!) I started picking up the panniers for the trip downstairs when I asked myself just what was I doing?
Here was a chance to see a "normal" town on a normal day in luxurious (by recent standards) accommodation at a very cheap price (€6,50).
A quick chat with the receptionist/chambermaid and I didn't need to carry my panniers anywhere for at least 24 hours.
Love this !!! :wub:
I love the relaxed, inquisitive, observant, fascinated, respectful good sense that you are bringing to this Tour Report Adventure !
You really sound content and at peace with your world.

Loving the street art – it demonstrates an appreciation of the towns and the people, by the people of those towns.
Thank you. :thanks:

Love this !!! :wub:
I love the relaxed, inquisitive, observant, fascinated, respectful good sense that you are bringing to this Tour Report Adventure !
You really sound content and at peace with your world.

Loving the street art – it demonstrates an appreciation of the towns and the people, by the people of those towns.
Thank you. :thanks:
Well, I'm just glad you didn't take the obvious meaning that I'm a lazy sod!^_^
And a nosey so-and-so^_^

But seriously, thank you for the compliment. I'm feeling very comfortable in small town Colombia, the more "normal" the town the better.

I was so proud of myself for my gift to myself. And it was a very pleasant day.

Thank you

cwskas

Ãœber Member
A magical, mysterious, musical, mountainous day
So many shades of green now. . . some very deep!

. . . Anyone who knows me in the real world knows that I can get a bit hyper and wax lyrical about things important to me. Today, I did that in Spanish! ^_^

Palo Blanco . . . Silly me was looking for Mama or Papa but no, the eldest girl, maybe 10 years of age, was the boss!

A few minutes later he turned around again and had more questions, each one enunciated slowly.
Now that the ice was broken his sister joined in too and what followed was a very pleasant conversation. For a very young fella his questions were astute and intelligent. He even complimented me on my Spanish!
A lovely lunch break!
Waxing lyrical in Spanish and lovely conversations with children. The Spanish is subsiding deeper into your brain. ^_^

When one begins to think in another language, they are getting literate and proficient!

I'm not sure if the tape is a warning or an attempt to hold the rock back ^_^

There was a hefty 500 meter climb out of town that soon had me heating up. The road had several examples of pretty serious subsidence . . .

Something went wrong with Osmand's calculations. . . . Normally, Osmand is pretty close to what I'll actually climb
. . . I'd even fired up the dreaded Komoot in the morning and it gave over 900 meters of climbing.

The hills are slowly subsiding! Washing away in all those little waterfalls by the side of the road! :laugh:

Willie

cwskas

Ãœber Member
There was a magical, mysterious shroud everywhere . . .

Bitterly, bitterly cold . . . The road, treacherous as it could be was a lot of fun. . . . this was a bike adventure!

So much to see, yet so much hidden

When the mist and cloud cleared......

And when it didn't..........

The Andes! All around me! . . .

Best of all I was looking down on little puffs of cotton cloud trapped in the valleys. Head in the clouds? Hell no! I was way, way above them!

It was still raining but I didn't care!
INDEED!

Trying to photograph what I was seeing was pointless. There was a scale that no camera could possibly capture but there were so many other components to the scene too; the birds were chirping after the rain, the light, glowing in the west was dancing on the water coating everything, the big drops falling from the trees could have been diamonds and it seemed that everywhere was the sound of falling water. A gentle wind wafted through the last lingering mist revealing and hiding, teasing. I tried to store it all.

The colour! The life!

A man standing with her asked me what my day was like? . . . That's when I found myself babbling away in Spanish
A very descriptive post! I am ready for the movie!
"Hobbes in the Andes"

Willie

cwskas

Ãœber Member
Once the traffic was gone I set off again with the road pretty much to myself.
And what a road!

It was both so similar and so very, very different to yesterday.

I don't know but there is something about these scenes that just scream "Life" with a loud echo of "Mystery"
View attachment 615912

I am definitely not in Kansas anymore! My road goes past that little red roof. I'm in the jungle!
View attachment 615913

I've found myself welling up a couple of times in the past couple of days. There have been many moments of pure elation, intense satisfaction, gratitude and beauty that I think there'd be something wrong if some emotion didn't leak out.

I am so damn lucky to be doing what I'm doing and the last couple of days, especially, hammered that home.

Dozens and dozens of stories pass me every day.

Do I need to say anything?^_^
Interesting photos in this very descriptive post.

Willie

cwskas

Ãœber Member
Clouds draping mountains - the perfect start to a day in my world
View attachment 615921

This morning I was awake, naturally, at 4am. . . . coffee . . . hitting the road just after 6am . . . in pretty flat land now, no big climbs ahead and it was pleasantly cool . . .

Rolling hills. These would charm me all day long
View attachment 615926

It's great to be back on relatively flat roads and zipping along. . . . Great cycling.

What a great road! And check out the fenceposts!
View attachment 615924

Then the road weaved around and through a whole series of small, rounded hills. Up, down and around. Very pleasant and very interesting.

Glorious, cool shade
View attachment 615922

Rural Colombia. For some reason this reminded me of old, John Hinde postcard scenes of Ireland
View attachment 615920

It was great! I haven't put in such a long day in a while and I felt pretty good . . . It was hot! Very hot!

And trees. There are always trees. So many different ones

Day 777 . . . 123km
Quite the contrast today to recent days. Nice photos of 'Rural Columbia'. I especially like the last river picture.

Willie

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
There was no point in even trying to take a photo. I'd need to remember.
Trying to photograph what I was seeing was pointless. There was a scale that no camera could possibly capture but there were so many other components to the scene too;
I've reached the stage of life where I take very few photos.
Photos can never capture the 'true' colour, the feel, the heat/cold, the smell, the feeling of the moment. I have some older photos that I look at and immediately feel the sweat and the tropical heat where they were taken. :sweat:

I now take pictures for myself and my memories. I see a scene and almost imagine a 'click' as I blink at what I see or I do the 'panorama shot' as I look around.

I, however do not have the CC audience waiting/hanging on my next instalment, so please keep at it, I'm loving it and all the pics ! :wub:

Top Bottom