Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cwskas

Über Member
I climbed a bit of a hill and there it was directly across the road! It was cloudy and therefore dull, but I'm pretty sure my smile alone added to the lumen level! I was delighted! I was so satisfied! Feck it - I was damn proud of myself! Ocean to ocean!
Mazatlãn was the first decent place I came across in my planning that had a language school. The sea would be a bonus to spend time around. But I've actually cycled across a continent!

Praise indeed! What an accomplishment, inspiration & enjoyable vicarious journey for others thanks to your most excellent posts!

Taking a break from my Spanish homework and it's very nice to read these messages!
Thank you!

I'm moving out of my AirBnb tomorrow to move into a homestay. This will give me a chance to practise more with my Spanish (I hope!)

The first lesson was hell!!
I finished college back in '93 (I think) and even though I studied myself for an accounting qualification for a couple of years afterwards I haven't picked up a book in anger since.

Quite a shock to my system! 😀

Learning the vocabulary is proving rather challenging! 😀

I want to give these few weeks the best shot possible because I know it will pay off further down the road.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Sorry to hear about Mr Hobbes.
As I was reading your post of day 125,i thought if he was going to go off on his own adventure, he's picked the perfect place to start.
I caught myself smiling reading that post and I'm not someone who's easily impressed. That write up was fantastic!
Im also not someone who likes the idea of being in a foreign land. Different cultures, foods, etc. It just doesn't appeal to me. But from the photos and the way you've written and described Mexico? I soooooooooo wanna go there!
Well done sir!

Sorry to hear about Mr Hobbes.
As I was reading your post of day 125,i thought if he was going to go off on his own adventure, he's picked the perfect place to start.
I caught myself smiling reading that post and I'm not someone who's easily impressed. That write up was fantastic!
Im also not someone who likes the idea of being in a foreign land. Different cultures, foods, etc. It just doesn't appeal to me. But from the photos and the way you've written and described Mexico? I soooooooooo wanna go there!
Well done sir!
Wow!
Thank you, @Vantage !
Praise indeed!😊

Specs

Bike: Trek 800 Sport (Rigid) MTB

Wheel Front: 26 559 Front Wheel 36h Ryde Andra 30 Rim with SON 28 Dynohub - Black. Drilled for Schrader valve

Wheel Rear: 26 559 Rear Wheel 36h Ryde Andra 30 Rim with Deore 8/9/10 speed Hub - Black. Drilled for Schrader valve.

Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 26 * 2,0

Chainset: Shimano Acera 42/32/22

Cassette: 7 Speed 11/32 (11/34 if I can get it)

Brakes: Deore Rim Brakes

Dynamo: Son 28

Charger: Cycle2Charge

Front Rack: Old Man Mountain Pioneer

Rear Rack: Tubus Logo Evo Rear Rack

Front light: SON Edelux High Power LED

Rear Light: Generic Battery operated

Saddle: Brook's C17

Seatpost: Thorn Micro Adjust Alloy Seat Post

Trailer: Extra Wheel with additional rack

Trailer Wheel: 26 559 Front Wheel 36h Ryde Andra 30 Rim

Trailer tyre: Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26*1,5 (left over)

Trailer Rear Light: Busch & Muller Secula Rear Light - Mudguard Fitting

Misc:

Delta Nylon Toe Clip & Strap Set - Black

SKS Chromoplastic Mudguard Set - 26"

Mount Skidmore Bottle Cage Adapters *2

Oversized bottle holders *2 (1 Topeak, 1BBB)

Small Decathlon saddle bag

Cheapy compact pump that works quite well given its price

Clickstand

Bar end mirror

Discuss! :laugh:

Roccado on day 1

In development

Getting closer...

And Rocco...... Where it all began!

Was half expecting @HobbesOnTour 's spec list to be in Spanish ;)
That would have been much easier!!

mi bicicleta :laugh::laugh:

Well done sir!
Just to come back to this for a minute……

I read once that travelling by bike is so good because we can actually see and often feel the subtle changes from place to place. I fully agree!

If I get on a plane and fly from Amsterdam to Madrid, the differences are very stark, whether that's weather, language, food, landscape etc.

However, if I cycle from Amsterdam to Spain I experience many, many variations at a relatively slow pace and have lots of time to adapt.

The other thing about a bike trip is that it is very primitive. Each day becomes about finding water, food and travelling to a safe place to sleep. Even if there's a café every mile and your accommodation is a 5* hotel you still have to get to them!

I find that on a bike (say, as opposed to a car) I appreciate the basics much more because I have to earn them by propelling myself along. In a car I just turn off at the next services.

For me, this also has the knock on effect that less satisfies more. Simply put, it requires more effort on a bike to give me more choice, therefore I need a darn good reason to turn my nose up at what is in front of me.

Finally, donning a "touring head" changes us, or at least, me! For one thing, time loses its significance. The focus of my daily life changes (water, food, sleep). My interactions with people change. When so many things are different, differences don't seem as significant as they would from far away.

I'm an incredibly fussy eater. Always have been and have caused much, much annoyance with that!
Truthfully, I'd rather not be so fussy.

A bike trip forces me out of my comfort zone and when I'm hungry enough I'll eat most things! I still have my limits, though!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if some big hand plucked me out of my life in NL and dropped me at one of the roadside restaurants I've eaten at recently my stomach would be applying for a body transplant!

However, having pedalled up to one I am far more comfortable to pull up a chair and let a random stranger feed me random food.

It's a gradual process, definitely something I knew I'd have to face and another thing I'm a bit chuffed about.

The fact is, that compared to the mainly junk food on offer in the US, this food is far superior!

Finally, a big factor is the natural friendliness of the locals who rarely don't engage as best they can.

I can't imagine getting the same positive responses from many restaurants in my usual part of the world if I rolled up, stuttered that I was hungry and smiled hopefully. There's not many places would bring things out for me to see or even taste!

In this way the local culture is actually helping me along in the eating stakes.

So, to finally get to the point ^_^, for things like strange food it's not as bad as we might think sitting at home. Once on the road the changes can be gradual and easier to manage.

Whilst I understand that you need a break every now and then, I really must insist you get back to cycling Mr @HobbesOnTour .
Im bored!
:tongue:
Well now, Mr @Vantage I really must insist that you get out on that shiny new bike of yours and cycle away from all that boredom!^_^

Or try learning Spanish! Boredom won't be an issue, although frustration might be!! 😀

It's a tough life here in Mazatlãn - it rained yesterday - the first rain since....... Oh I can't remember!! 😀😀

I'm here for another week, at least, possibly two so you'll need something to keep yourself going 😉

But seriously, that trip with your Dad..............That'll be fantastic! It makes me very jealous! Not something I ever got to do. Squeeze every ounce of enjoyment out of it!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
But seriously, that trip with your Dad..............That'll be fantastic! It makes me very jealous! Not something I ever got to do. Squeeze every ounce of enjoyment out of it!

Well we've agreed on 30 miles a day roughly and chosen our campsites.
Dad's just got himself a turbo trainer to get fit for the trip and step mum sent me a video of him on it. Wonder how long it'll be before he burns it out of boredom :laugh:
So he's getting ready already :biggrin:
I don't think we've rode together since I was a kid. :ohmy:

Ok, someone asked for a gear list….so here it is!

Gear list

I carry 4 panniers and a rackbag as well as a handlebar bag.

Two of the panniers are what I call "dry" - I should only need to open them at the end of the day. These are the ones I carry on the bike.

The other two panniers are mainly for food and are designed to be opened during the day

Pannier 1:
  • 1 pair shoes (I'm wearing another)
  • Maps
  • Silk Sleeping bag liner
  • Sleeping Bag, Down, customised (Cold feet!), rated -16C
  • Drybag night clothes
  • Drybag Extra (heavy) jumper

Night Clothes:
1 Merino Socks
1 Merino Underwear
1 Merino Long johns
1 light Merino top
1 Merino Balaclava
1 Merino glove liners

Extra Drybag
1 Heavy Merino Top
1 Wooly hat

Pannier 2
  • Major toolkit
  • Snugpak Jungle Blanket
  • Down Jacket
  • Drybag cycling clothes
  • Drybag Other clothes
Drybag Cycling Clothes
2 Quick dry underwear
1 Merino Socks
1 Football top
2 Merino tops
1 Quick dry t-shirt
1 Camping pants (zip off)
1 Hiking Shorts
1 Quickdry, long sleeve hot weather top

Drybag Other Clothes
1 Merino socks
1 Underwear
2 Merino t-shirts
1 Fleece
1 Camping pants (zip off)
2 Regular t-shirts

Major Toolkit:
  • Adjustable spanner
  • Cone wrenches
  • "Proper" hex key
  • Cassette removal tool
  • Crank Extractor
  • Screwdriver with multiple heads
  • Nail polish (for scratches
  • Quicklink tool
  • Fibrefix spoke *2
  • Chainwear tool
  • Grease
Split between the two panniers are:
  • Tablet
  • Kindle
  • Fold out solar panel
  • Spare cables, brake pads, tent repair patches, various nuts & bolts, power bank, spare batteries (headlamp/lights), cable ties, gorilla tape, spare wiring & connectors for dynamo.
  • Adapters, memory cards & associated cables, battery charger

Kitchen Panniers
  • Trangia cookset
  • Stanly Thermos 75cl
  • Collapsible plate large
  • Collapsible plate small
  • Collapsible cup
  • Spork
  • Spatula
  • Knife
  • Corkscrew/bottle opener
  • 4 water bladders (1-3 ltr)
  • Water filter & accessories
  • Water purification tabs
Breakfast bag:
Coffee, sweetener, honey, oatmeal, couscous,
Meal Bag:
Whatever "meals" I'm planning to eat. Usually pasta, noodles, sauces, tortillas, crackers, tuna.
Misc bag:
Whatever snacks I'm carrying - trail mix, peanut butter/Nutella, fruit, jerky,
Small bag of condiments:
Olive oil, various seasonings, a tube of tomato puree etc.

Toilet bag
Spare tube
Spare plastic bags

The actual composition varies day by day due to the necessity to balance the trailer.

The idea is that these panniers operate well below capacity so that groceries can be added daily or extra food & water can be added when necessary.

RackBag
  • Thermarest Trail Pro sleeping mat
  • Alite camping chair
  • Spare Folding tyre
  • CamelBak 3 ltr
  • First Aid kit
  • On the road toolkit (puncture repair, spoke key, quick link, tyre boot, gloves.
  • Chain lube
  • Laundry bag (washing powder, line, a few pegs plus space for wet laundry that can't be dried)
  • Misc. bits'n'bobs - extra elastic for strapping, a couple of straps, two locks - one long combi cable lock and one small lock made of layers of springy stainless steel - very difficult to cut in the normal way). Couple of extra drybags.
  • Currently carrying an extra cassette.
  • Emergency (foil) blanket
  • Sewing kit
  • Extra guyline rope.
Trailer Drybag
This is my foul weather gear:
  • 1 Goretex jacket (ex military)
  • 1 Gorewear Jacket (for cold weather)
  • 1 Gorewear Rainpants
  • 1 Balaclava
  • 1 Overshoes
  • Plastic bags for feet
  • Alu foil for inside shoes
  • Heavy duty waterproof gloves
  • Merino glove liners
  • Orange HiViz (normally strapped on the RackBag)

I also have a cheapy Decathlon (small) backpack that I brought to have on the ship and for carrying documents related to the ship. I've kept it since it's proving very handy! It straps on top of the rackpack.

Handlebar Bag:
  • Camera
  • Passport, associated docs & vaccinations.
  • Current map
  • Powerbank
  • Plug
  • Snacks
  • Daily cash
  • Spare batteries (headlamp)
  • Headlamp
  • Keys
  • Powerbank & associated cables
  • Notebook & pen
  • Glasses
  • Bug repellant
  • Plastic Spork
  • iPod & headphones
  • Barbag cover
  • Helmet cover.
  • Fold up shopping bag
In addition, I also have a small saddlebag with 2 tubes, multitool & Leatherman.

Tent
The original plan was to carry this on the trailer, but I was sailing close to exceeding the max weight for the rack (not the trailer).

It sits on the front Rack
It's an Exped Orion Extreme, 2 man.

Not the lightest, especially since I added the footprint and extra pegs for different conditions.

It's what I refer to as a "Smart" tent and it's quite possible it's too smart for me!
My biggest issue is that one side is longer than the other (by design) which makes it difficult to pitch one side tautly.
Also, in cooling weather or wet weather there is significant sagging of the material. Recently, where evening temperatures plummet quickly a repegging/adjustment is required.

However, it does appear to be tough and is reasonably freestanding which were my two main requirements.

Miscellaneous comments:
Love my trangia.
My thermos is the business! For coffee, for finishing cooking for a warm drink on a cold night.
Sleeping pad is big & bulky (1 kg) but is tough and is comfortable.

Last year I was shocked to learn that synthetic sleeping bags degrade significantly over time so I upgraded to a down bag. Same size and weight as my old synthetic, but about 18C extra protection.

The Snugpak is to be used instead of the main bag or in addition to it as conditions demand.

The camping chair has not had a lot of use on this trip so far but has proven a Godsend in foul weather. I can sit under shelter, off the wet ground and cook and eat in comfort.

Spare spokes are carried in the handlebars (for each wheel).

Any questions? Fire away!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
:ohmy::huh:^_^
As you say, better to be comfy than sleek.
2 different sized plates though? I suppose you'll have a spare if one breaks :tongue:
Easy to look at that list and think OMFG!!!!!! I did at first, but considering the distance you're doing and where, maybe it isn't so nuts ^_^
I'd be needing a small diesel engine to be hauling all that though :laugh:

Hows the spanish coming along? The language that is, not the small crew you've hired to pull you up the hills :tongue:

Top Bottom