Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many thanks for that list @HobbesOnTour
Will look through it at my leisure.
If you don't mind getting gear nerdy (though you maybe asked for it) can i ask about the snugpak jungle blanket, which caught my eye?
Am a fan of their stuff and will be near them soon.
How do you find it?
I know some such things can suffer performance degredation in use. How is the warmth of yours holding up?
I understand there are two sizes - can i ask which you use?

Last edited:

CharlesF

Guru
@HobbesOnTour . Thanks very much for providing the list for your fans! You have everything really well sorted and I’m glad to see comfort and convenience are key, that’s my way of travelling.

:ohmy::huh:^_^
As you say, better to be comfy than sleek.
2 different sized plates though? I suppose you'll have a spare if one breaks :tongue:
Easy to look at that list and think OMFG!!!!!! I did at first, but considering the distance you're doing and where, maybe it isn't so nuts ^_^
I'd be needing a small diesel engine to be hauling all that though :laugh:

Hows the spanish coming along? The language that is, not the small crew you've hired to pull you up the hills :tongue:
Yes, I'm built for comfort, not speed 😀
It's interesting the things people focus on!
Actually, the smaller plate could more accurately be described as a bowl, but is rarely used as a bowl.
In fact, the two plates are hardly being used this trip (so far) as I'm doing so little "proper" cooking. Very handy though for holding chopped veg etc.

My Spanish is progressing about as slow and steady as I would up a steep hill! 😀 A bit wobbly at times, but getting there!

Many thanks for that list @HobbesOnTour
Will look through it at my leisure.
If you don't mind getting gear nerdy (though you maybe asked for it) can i ask about the snugpak jungle blanket, which caught my eye?
Am a fan of their stuff and will be near them soon.
How do you find it?
I know some such things can suffer performance degredation in use. How is the warmth of yours holding up?
I understand there are two sizes - can i ask which you use?
Ooh!
I just checked the tag and there's no size, and I don't use the stuff sack so I can't give the size, other than it's square and barely covers me from shoulder to feet.
I can't say how good it is because I simply haven't got to use it in extreme (cold) conditions.
I like the fact that it is multipurpose - not just in a sleeping situation, but also as a seat or wrap.

@HobbesOnTour . Thanks very much for providing the list for your fans! You have everything really well sorted and I’m glad to see comfort and convenience are key, that’s my way of travelling.
To my way of thinking......
If I'm on the bike 6-8hours a day that leaves 16-18 hours a day that I also need to be comfortable.
Throw in variable weather into the equation and requirements grow.
After a hard day in rain & cold there's little nicer than some comfy, warm, dry clothes!

Oooh!
I forgot about locks!
I carry 2
One is a long combination cable lock (bought specifically for the trailer)
The other is an interesting one I bought at a Dutch expo. The guy did a very convincing demo using angle grinders and saws that were very ineffective against the tensioned layers of steel. Of course it needs to be accompanied by a good lock.

The small one is used to lock the frame to something and the cable to loop through saddle and trailer.

My idea is that nothing will stop a determined and equipped thief, but I hope that my gear will at least slow them down or encourage them to move on to an easier target.

It also helps that my bike is a regular, old MTB, at least at first glance.

I rarely lock the bike when popping into a shop but always do when going into a larger store where sightlines are more difficult.

IMG_20200212_085539.jpg

IMG_20200212_085508.jpg

IMG_20200212_085452.jpg

Ooh!
I just checked the tag and there's no size, and I don't use the stuff sack so I can't give the size, other than it's square and barely covers me from shoulder to feet.
I can't say how good it is because I simply haven't got to use it in extreme (cold) conditions.
I like the fact that it is multipurpose - not just in a sleeping situation, but also as a seat or wrap.

Thanks for the reply hobbes.

Can I ask how tall you are?

If you do ever measure it let me know.

Since seeing your posts I have read some very good write-ups of it online.

Snugpak do do some nice sensible stuff.

Thanks for the reply hobbes.

Can I ask how tall you are?

If you do ever measure it let me know.

Since seeing your posts I have read some very good write-ups of it online.

Snugpak do do some nice sensible stuff.
Oh dear Lord! 😀
I genuinely don't know how tall I am. Less than 6 feet anyway. Taller than average in Mexico and below the average in NL.😀

Having tried a couple of liners I decided versatility was the key and got that to beef up my old bag.

crossfire

Nice to see you have a new cycling buddy,I just wonder what will happen if the old one returns. No fighting I hope!

Top Bottom