Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Hola F, great to have an update from you. Sad to hear though about the situation in Central and South America. An even smaller proportion of our news than normal is reporting on what is happening elsewhere so I wasn't at all aware how bad it has become.

I guess part of the problem for us all, but given your circumstances, you in particular, is the inability to plan a path forward. There are few if any clues on what prospects the medium and longer term futures hold and it seems life has become increasingly about living from day to day. Making the most of that might be the least worst option for the time being, until a clearer (or less risky?) path shows itself. If you're able to undertake any voluntary work as you suggested, that might help those in your host country and you ... not least your improving Spanish!

Stay well. Stay safe.

CharlesF

Guru
Thanks for setting it all out, tough times for a lot of people. I wasn’t trying to make you feel hungry, it was supposed to be Rick’s comments on how welcoming and friendly the Mexican are.

I hope you can get sorted for the next few months, being so resourceful I’m confident that you will!

All the best to you and your hosts.

netman

Veteran
Another alternative is to head to the US. Certainly the run up to the election would be a very interesting time. Texas is plenty big to keep me amused for a while ^_^ However, it's a lot more expensive and the border will most likely be closed to me for quite a while.

Have you thought about California (when you can get back in) - amazing state to visit - Yosemite, Death Valley, Joshua Tree NP and a ride along the coast around San Fran would be a trip to remember... expensive though, as you say!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Don't be getting excited, I'm not back on the road, well at least not in any travelling sense.
Oh, but you are!
My 14km yesterday, my 12ish today may total up to 26km on the road, but in my head I've travelled further than I think I've ever done before
And whilst it might only be a few km in the tyres turning sense, perhaps metaphorically it's been much further?
I met people who waved and smiled. I met cars and pickups who pulled over for me, or slowed down to reduce the dust. Three teenagers passed me on an ancient motorbike (social distancing how are you??!) smiling and waving. I met groups of cowboys off on a Sunday jaunt.
These wonderful participants in your story are, albeit briefly, sharing your adventure. You and they (and the cowboys, caballeros and wavy girl) are both contributors and recipients, each giving and receiving a little something that lightens one anothers load. I wonder how many went home and told of this loco gringo out having the time of his life on his bike? Maybe a son or daughter, brother or sister might have been inspired and just might pull that old bike out the stable and ...
You'll likely never know how many lives you touched, but touch them you have, just as they have affected you ...
Someone must have been slicing some big onions when I continued on. In that brief conversation a lot of my fears were put to bed and I realised that this hiatus is going to give me the chance to get so much more out of this little adventure! It may well not be on a bike, but I can live with that!
Ooo, that's a tease!
Day by day the layers get heavier. The New Normal - the phrase of our times. We just get used to the load.
Or as you did, we hop on our bikes, head for the nearest dirt road (or potholed stretch of tarmac!) and rattle those waffers off.

Thanks all!
@netman I have indeed considered the Pacific coast of the US and indeed onwards across Canada as a route back! I may have been immobile, but my poor brain is always planning! ^_^
I have to say the scenes coming out of the US this past weekend are shocking. Charleston, Nashville, Austin, San Antonio have all featured - all places I've been to on the bike. Cincinnati I visited by car. Somehow, things seem more real when I know the places.

@IaninSheffield many thanks for your kind words.

@Pat "5mph" injured gardening???:ohmy:
I always knew it was a dangerous hobby! Take care of yourself!

Anyways, I'm off for another mini adventure!

cwskas

Über Member
Great post, brings back lots of good memories!

Day whatever… .it's really not important!

Last edited:
Wo
Glad you're keeping safe and well @HobbesOnTour :smooch:
I'm writing this from a rainy Scotland.
I can't cycle (can barely walk lol) at the moment because I've injured a knee in a gardening mishap, silly me.
For best or worse, lockdown is easing everywhere in Europe, won't be long till you can get going again.
Wow, that injury is really keeping you down!!
I was laid up last year for the guts of six months - nearly drove me crazy! My sympathies.

Things may be opening up, but I'd be questioning how long for. Look at Beijing - another lockdown. I'm in no rush to get going again. I mean I really, really miss the road, but it's just too much of an unknown.

Hoping to get good news on being able to stay longer here this coming week (my visitor permit expires) but predictions are that Covid will remain serious here until at least October. ☹️

Take care of yourself, take the time to dream - you never know where you can be 12 months from now 😀

Top Bottom