Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Interesting post today about your inspirations, in this day and age we have access to so much information. It made me reflect on my own inspirations and how I started touring in a more analogue age with much more limited access to other peoples adventures for inspiration. For me it all started in the mid eighties when my Mum bought me a second hand 10 speed Raleigh Winner, I absolutely loved that thing and rode it all over North Devon where I grew up.

Then came a time when I had exhausted all of the day rides around and yet I still had a huge yearning and thirst to know what was over the furthest hills and see for my self where the lines on the map led too. I decided along with a close friend to do what naturally comes next and buy a rack and some cheap panniers. So at the ripe old age of thirteen, we asked our respective parents for permission to undertake a five day bike tour, to our surprise they agreed! I really don't know what inspired me, other than a thirst for adventure and a desire to see over the horizon. We set off and covered about 250 miles I think, around Northern Cornwall. I do remember being told by our respective parents to sleep in an official campsite every night, however, the campsites often forbid any one under 18 to camp without parents, so we ended up stealth camping in small copses more often than not.

That trip led to a life as an Outdoor Instructor where expeditions where a common feature of my life, Canoes, Sea Kayaks, Feet and Bikes where all means of transport. Inspiration came from all around, friends, colleagues, books, magazines and just a good old desire to explore the different spaces on a map.

Nowadays, I'm no longer working in the UK Outdoor Education sector, however the urge to explore has never been greater. Moving to Germany and particularly this Northern corner, I had to recalibrate my ideas about what wild spaces looked like. The forests and gravel riding became my new means of connecting with the wild spaces around. Then I discovered through cycle chat a reference to a bike packing website and subsequently discovered the world of bike packing, which nicely dovetailed with gravel riding and exploration that lay at the core of my ethos for traveling.

With the global pandemic and the climate crisis I have started to look much closer to home for inspiration and realised that I have never really explored the country I now call home. I now have four local routes, two of which start on my doorstep, to explore in the coming year or years. The internet has certainly opened up lots of possibilities for new inspiration and following others in their adventures. However, for me, my primary inspiration has always been the intrinsic desire to explore and connect with nature in wild and remote spots.

Anyway, sorry for the long and rambling post in response to your thought provoking write up on your own inspirations. It's always fascinating to hear what inspires us to under take the journeys we do.

Oh, please, Chris, don't be apologising! This is the chat thread! All chat genuinely welcomed!

Thanks for sharing your inspiration!

It's funny, because I had a similar experience to you as a 13/14 year old. Myself and a friend took a train to the opposite end of the country and set off on a bike tour of 4-5 days. In my case, at least, it wasn't an urge to enjoy the outdoors or nature - it was first and foremost a way to get away from a very restrictive upbringing and to have an adventure.
For some reason, I don't count that as my "first tour".
What's also interesting, is that I got permission! Originally there were three of us, but the one with the most "liberal" parenting regime was forbidden!

For you, it led to a career (if I'm understanding correctly), for me it led to........nothing😊

It is amazing what can be on our own doorstep - if we open our eyes. After about 15 years living in NL, I started going out on a bike and started to see the country in a totally different light.

I was sure camping as an adult would be a horrifying experience and now I'm pretty sure it's my favourite part of the whole package! (The danger of preconceptions!)

From my own experience, inspiration is really the key.
I remember as a kid being made to play the trumpet. All classical music. I hated it and dropped it at the first opportunity. Looking back, I wish that I had access to (or someone had shown me) all the different styles of music I could play if I had the basics.

You had the basics, then found bikepacking and everything clicked.
And now you get to inspire the next generation!
I think that's brilliant!

Rugby's over (sigh:sad:), sun is shining so I'm off out on the bike. It may not be "touring" but riding a bike here? Now that's an adventure!^_^

Thanks again.

cwskas

Über Member
Congratulations on your extension! Fooled them again! (That last sentence is sarcasm.)

Your concept and reality analogy (17 and not 17) is spot on. I can relate.

I pray your arms recover quickly.

Willie

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Crash Boom Bang Day Whatever.....
Oh my.
OH. MY!
There was more excitement(?) recounted in that single post than I'd want to experience in a whole raft of tours!

I think though, on balance, taking all into consideration, and injuries notwithstanding, that was a win ... just.
Excellent news that your visa has been further extended, your Spanish continues to grow in strength (think how useful that will be when travel once more becomes possible), and your familiarity with CDMX (both its geography and its bureaucracy) have been enriched.
But the results of your accident sound like they've been a right ... well, pain! Although I've been fortunate that cycling accidents have never broken me quite that badly, a couple of rugby injuries briefly left me dependent on others until I made accommodations and learned to manage the pain. I can't imagine how difficult that would be, away from all the support structures. Impressive resilience sir.
It did set me wondering though how you stand with access to healthcare? Do you have direct (and free) access to the Mexican 'system'? Is the travel insurance you presumably originally took out still valid, and can you renew it, given the advice you received way back when to return home? Will you be able to be vaccinated when one becomes available?! Until your accident I hadn't thought about this strand of your predicament.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery ... and that porridge can once more return to its rightful place in your diet.

I think you may be suffering from Lockdownitis!^_^ It wasn't that exciting!^_^

But definitely a win!

Having lived in NL I have had more than a few run ins with bureaucracy so I have a natural (I think) apprehension approaching something like a visa extension. However, as I've said before, there's something in the air here and despite having to go hither and tither and do a lot of waiting there's a humanity on display that keeps me calm.

I'm probably on the "world's whingiest patient" list, somewhere near the top, but when I'm on my own there's not a lot of point in complaining^_^

As for the logistics....
My (health) insurance is still valid. It will not be possible to extend the policy. Two years was the maximum. (I'm currently looking for an alternative).
There are "levels" to the system here so decent insurance is advisable for travellers. Covid is putting pressure on everything, everywhere. An example here is that it has pushed up the amounts not covered by Insurance (for all) with the result that some people can't pay enough to "get into" the system, or have relatively large debts after they get out.
If I need to, I'm supposed to contact the Insurance Co. and follow their instructions as to which hospital etc. to use.

A vaccine is more complicated. The roll out here is "interesting" and erratic. I'll be looking to "buy" one, if and when available.
It's interesting watching all the bickering going on around the world. Other than Australia & New Zealand (I think) how quickly one country gets vaccinated is not really going to make a difference on a global scale.

What's not clear (to me) is if the vaccine (or one of them) protects me and stops me carrying the virus. It doesn't sit easily with me that I may be a carrier.

Also, down the road, a vaccination cert may be necessary to cross borders. (I have noticed some countries now demanding proof of health insurance to enter since Covid struck). Given the way things can change, vaccinations may become out of date or different ones may be more acceptable or effective than others.

The simple fact, though, is that without a decent (health) insurance package past September the balance of probabilities is that it's too risky to continue. I'm not 17 anymore!^_^

The way I look at it, any injury or illness that requires a hospital is now a lot riskier than before due to the Covid effect.

All changed, changed utterly:
A terrible beauty is born. (A bit of Yeats^_^).

Congratulations on your extension! Fooled them again! (That last sentence is sarcasm.)

Your concept and reality analogy (17 and not 17) is spot on. I can relate.

I pray your arms recover quickly.

Willie
Thanks Willie!
The right arm is getting back to normal, the left, especially the elbow, is proving more obtuse!

17 was great! Freedom was beckoning, doors started appearing where before there were solid walls. There were lots of opportunities, lots of exploring to do.
I'm not quite ready to give up on that yet!^_^

CharlesF

Guru
What a great piece of writing, my arms were sore just reading your travails. As I read I thought “how can Hobbs post such cheerful pictures when he is in a world of pain”. Then I read the end and the happy experiences (despite the toing and froing) with the Immigration officials - that’s why the pictures were cheerful!

I do hope you’re getting back to normal.

What a great piece of writing, my arms were sore just reading your travails. As I read I thought “how can Hobbs post such cheerful pictures when he is in a world of pain”. Then I read the end and the happy experiences (despite the toing and froing) with the Immigration officials - that’s why the pictures were cheerful!

I do hope you’re getting back to normal.
Always good to hear from you Charles!
I hope that's hyperbole - the last thing you're needing is a pair of sore arms!^_^
But thank you for the compliment!

In fairness, taking photos was all but impossible, most of those are from just before I fell off. ^_^

And a bad day is always made a little better with some clips of Frasier or Whose Line is it Anyway on Youtube^_^

CharlesF

Guru
I’m guessing that the purple flowered trees are Jacarandas, a bit of nostalgia for me.
1615649663866.jpeg

Top Bottom