Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like a smart move, if practicable, and of course if you can gain entry to the US. The US Embassy in Nicaragua site might provide some helpful info https://ni.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-2-2-2-2/
CDC information on testing requirements https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

As far as getting jabbed is concerned, from the CDC, it would seem you would be in with a shout:

Although, also from the CDC:

I've had a quick scan around some state Coronavirus response sites. It seems to be a mixed bag, with some states more 'generous' than others.
California -

Missouri -

The Wall Street Journal has helpfully gathered links to relevant state websites - https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-a-state-by-state-guide-11611703769 - so that might provide a jumping off point, depending on where you want to travel to.

Apologies, but the above is no more than a scattershot of possibly helpful (or unhelpful) information with nothing definitive. Maybe boots on the ground in the US might have access to something more concrete ... or is an Irish Embassy likely to be as helpful as previously?

If there's anything specfic you need a hand with, let us know.
Thanks Ian! It's all helpful!
(But you forgot the lake!^_^)
As you can guess I had some decent Internet (between powercuts) last night.

It's a confusing situation. For example, NYC is actively promoting itself (as is Alaska) as a Vaccine destination for tourists but Immigration are only allowing "essential travel" only - and don't consider a vaccine essential!

Yet, there are travel agencies in Latin America organising Vaccine vacations! And flights to the US have jumped 30-40% in price since March. As always in these things I'll stick out like the proverbial sore thumb!

My US visa is still valid, I'd have a return ticket but there is always the unknown.

Thanks for the input and if anyone else wants to weigh in.......

Or even a Nicaraguan one perhaps?!! Sheesh, I don't know... getting through so many countries you can't even remember which one you're in eh?!! :laugh:
Did you stop to think that they may be Honduran horses at a Nicaraguan fiesta?^_^

My bad! 😊

It is quite confusing!
The notes for this are ahead of the posts and Strava is still languishing in Honduras!
Plus, I'm looking ahead to Costa Rica and Panama! Costa Rica, especially is pernickity.

My poor little head can be fried at times!^_^

But I wouldn't have it any other way! 😊

Backroads Hond... Nicaragua ^_^

Somoto Canyon looks beautiful and very interesting.

Did you ever find out the occasion for the fiesta?

Willie
It was a "Horse Fiesta" with horsepeople travelling from all over to show off (their Honduran horses!^_^)

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I haz a coupla questions.
I stopped for a second breakfast peanut butter and banana on a concrete base for a light.
Try as I might, I can't interpret this one. Predictive text imposing itself?
Over my coffee I was pondering why is it here in Nicaragua that I am touring in my more traditional style
I've always wondered whether the coffee in places where it is produced, is better than it is by the time it's travelled and reached us over here. And Nicaragua is a producer of particularly fine coffee is it not?

I've noticed that on the road, you generally come across a small store or somewhere to buy a snack or drink, even when on the backroads. In NZ, an ostensibly more 'developed' country with a similar population, there are parts where you can go for miles and sometimes days without any refuelling options.
No question really, but do you have any observations why central America appears to be more helpful to the thirsty/hungry touring cyclist in this regard?

I haz a coupla questions.

Try as I might, I can't interpret this one. Predictive text imposing itself?

I've always wondered whether the coffee in places where it is produced, is better than it is by the time it's travelled and reached us over here. And Nicaragua is a producer of particularly fine coffee is it not?

I've noticed that on the road, you generally come across a small store or somewhere to buy a snack or drink, even when on the backroads. In NZ, an ostensibly more 'developed' country with a similar population, there are parts where you can go for miles and sometimes days without any refuelling options.
No question really, but do you have any observations why central America appears to be more helpful to the thirsty/hungry touring cyclist in this regard?

According to Wikipedia Nicaragua has an area of 130,375 km² (50,338 sq mi) and population of Ca. 6,486,201 people, giving a population density of 51/km² (132.1/sq mi).

New Zealand has 268,021 km² (103,483 sq mi) and a population of 5,127,490 people, or 19.0/km² (49.2/sq mi) a slightly smaller population than Nicaragua on twice the land area, and most of those will live in Wellington and Auckland and surrounding areas.

Given that unfortunately there aren't enough cycle tourists to support a chain of roadside stores, I'm guessing that the higher population density of Nicaragua means that they can support more shops in rural areas.

That is just a guess though and @HobbesOnTour may know of a different reason.

CharlesF

Guru
According to Wikipedia Nicaragua has an area of 130,375 km² (50,338 sq mi) and……….
That is just a guess though and @HobbesOnTour may know of a different reason.
I though it was the different transport. I imagine in Nicaragua, there is more pedestrian, horses, etc. Slower and less distance traveled in an hour, or day.
In NZ, cars, etc are the main transport and its easy to get to a store miles away.

Who knows?

cwskas

Über Member
I'm not the best listener but I got a bit of a lesson today from my coffee companion.
I'd refer to her as a girl but there was a little boy, three or four years of age who called her "Mamá".

She wasn't fazed by Virginia to Nicaragua on a bike but was when I mentioned a town 50km away!
What I found hilarious was the fact that she was shocked I had cycled in México - that's so dangerous!!

She wanted to know about the US and expressed a strong desire to go. I told her my opinion of the place, a lot of fear, much less open and friendly than these parts. Money could be made but it was hard, hard work and for immigrants often very tough.
I used the example of her leaving the shop to follow up about the glue as something that wouldn't happen there - at least not to a stranger.
Then I got my lesson.

Life is difficult here. Very difficult.
I'm sure the very last thing she would have wanted was to make me uncomfortable but I was. She told me of people, a woman and a child, risking everything to cross the Rio Grande. Of the long journey to get there. For every news report that we see there are many human stories that are never explored.

It was all well and good for me, the visitor, to wax lyrical about the positive points, as I see them, here, but I don't live here. What's life like in these small places? What are the prospects? The American people I did the canyon trip with yesterday home school their kids because the public system is so poor. What chances do kids have here?

I realize that I am lagging in my reading, but I just had to comment on that encounter. Possibly the observation I will most remember.

Willie

Top Bottom