Chav cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Meant to post this earlier but........

Went for a wee pootle last Sunday down to Finchale Priory (8 mile round trip).
On the way back I stop at a 5 bar gate for a tab, sit on said gate and take in the fresh air (with a fag in my hand :biggrin: :biggrin:).

While there 5 "chavs" came cycling down the road, slowed down and stopped, I tightened my anal sphincter muscle expecting the worst.
"Nice bike mate" says one, oh shite thinks I.
Then spent a very enjoyable 45 Min's talking about their and my bikes, I think I've joined a gang.

Books and covers springs to mind

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Is you a chav innit?......:biggrin:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Elmer Fudd said:
Meant to post this earlier but........

Went for a wee pootle last Sunday down to Finchale Priory (8 mile round trip).
On the way back I stop at a 5 bar gate for a tab, sit on said gate and take in the fresh air (with a fag in my hand :biggrin: :biggrin:).

While there 5 "chavs" came cycling down the road, slowed down and stopped, I tightened my anal sphincter muscle expecting the worst.
"Nice bike mate" says one, oh shite thinks I.
Then spent a very enjoyable 45 Min's talking about their and my bikes, I think I've joined a gang.
Books and covers springs to mind

Chav CC? With BC registered Hoodies as club vest? :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Dat is well wicked, guy!
chav2.jpg

Bigtallfatbloke

...most of them are actually ok when you get to talk to them face to face on their own...it's when they have an easy exit route (like in a car) that the coward in them surfaces and they get abusive.

romeo

A lot of kids arent that confident in themselves so the bravado comes to the fore instead to mask it. I find if you chat with people with a certain amount of respect towards them they appreciate it and react accordingly.

yenrod

I was outside the bro-in-laws one sat pm and 2 lads walked past (me' i all the stuff) and one asks 'how much was that preceeded by what make is it' answered him honestly 'oh' he replied but the atmosphere was there...

Theirs hope for these teens but its VERY hard to exact....the correct way of extraction of learning amongst them !?!?!?!??!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Same as BFTB I find that when you actually talk to them they are okay. It's just that they go around in gangs for mutual support. We sometimes meet them on our suburban night rides and although we usually equal them in numbers there's always a feeling of tension until the ice is broken.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
As a family, you might say that my siblings and I have ... er... gone "up" in the world somewhat from our childhood circumstances ... my brother said to me recently..."You know when we were kids.... were we chavs?" :biggrin: I think he might be right... :biggrin:

barq

I was going through a park recently when this gang of chavs swooped on me. I was determined just to keep riding at a casual pace, show no fear, and ignore whatever they were going to call me. It was only after a few seconds I realised they were trying to start a conversation about bikes, so I had to get them to repeat everything they'd just said. :biggrin: :biggrin: We had a slightly odd but not unpleasant conversation - I think we were mutually intrigued. I was riding my Kona (so got a few cool points in their eyes) but was looking very XC and my SPDs and helmet were "well gay" (minus points). They started asking me how much parts of the bike cost which did make me nervous, but then one of them started telling me about the forks he was saving up for so I think it was genuine interest.

They were pretty skilled on their bikes. One was doing a perfect track stand on an Apollo MTB. A load of OAPs walked past and gave them really dirty looks and began tutting - I assume because they were hanging around a park. Made me feel rather sorry for the chavs because they really weren't doing anything wrong. No wonder kids just stay at home and play computer games.

I've lived in some rough areas where teens on bikes hanging around simply meant trouble. But it made me rethink that slightly and I hope I'm less judgemental now.

Top Bottom