Cheam and Morden Hilly 50 September 12th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
MacB said:
is that a weird way of confessing that you're an old man trying to ride a young mans bike?
I'd like you to know that I'm thinking up some witty riposte to this, and, when it comes, it will be devastating..............

dellzeqq said:
I'd like you to know that I'm thinking up some witty riposte to this, and, when it comes, it will be devastating..............

Being of the same vintage as Simon, it is the cycling equivalent of being offered a seat on the train...It has happened to me once! :biggrin:

I suppose that when you continually struggle, particularly when younger, it's best to keep all your gears concealed in a tin can on the back wheel rather than be 'out and proud'! :smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Aperitif said:
Being of the same vintage as Simon, it is the cycling equivalent of being offered a seat on the train...It has happened to me once! :biggrin:

I suppose that when you continually struggle, particularly when younger, it's best to keep all your gears concealed in a tin can on the back wheel rather than be 'out and proud'! :smile:

Hmmm, maybe the allure of the 'closet' gears is telling me something, coupled with the way Wigsie's chasing me I should be getting worried.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
MacB,

Just emailed you. With my time constraints, its probably not a good idea to try and meet up for the ride there. Sorry for p1ssing about.

Pity, as the would have been possibly one of the most handsome 2-ups ever to grace the Hampshire - Surrey border. Cycling is the loser.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
BUGGER! Just getting ready and young Bolletta has been sick. DNS for me I'm afraid.:whistle:

2 bottles of SIS Go energy drink for sale, buyer collects.

Have a good ride y'all.

Glorious weather, stunning scenery with views across the Surrey Hills and into London, great company round the ride with Ilovebikes and my mate William and occasionally crossing paths with Adrian. Now I'm just basking in the sun atop Box Hill eyeing Adrian's flapjack type thing. Top ride.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A more relaxed ride, with only about 50 starters (and finishers) instead of the 150+ we might have attracted in February. The Babe and I saw them set off, and then went in to Dorking to do a bit of wayfinding, which was not entirely effective as one gruppeto of 6 went past her, then returned when they heard her yell out, then stopped at a traffic light with the map within sight of me, gesticulating in their direction.

Back then to the start, and up to the top of Box Hill to await the finishers -the first of which came in after just 1hr 51m. ILB managed a creditable time for one so young, and we can be sure that he'll improve with age. Standout achievement was that of Darren and Michelle who did the course on a tandem in a tad over 2hr 20m, followed in pretty short order by the Things whose Santana carbon tandem is an incredible piece of work.

Brian H. took being bested by his son with good grace, and the llast little group hove in to view at 3hr 45m, still smiling despite having dealt with a couple of punctures and an unshipped chain. They were preceded by a couple of Mouseketeers, who, in true Mouseketeer style had started late (one of them having taken a wrong turn a few miles from his own front door) and then got lost again on the ride......

Lovely weather, not too hot, and cleaner roads than we'd have seen in February, but I've no doubt that the C+M will want to see it revert to its traditional date in 2010.

dellzeqq said:
...the Things whose Santana carbon tandem is an incredible piece of work.

I believe I said ooooh!

dellzeqq said:
They were preceded by a couple of Mouseketeers

Who? I missed them completely and I might well be devastated.

dellzeqq said:
...but I've no doubt that the C+M will want to see it revert to its traditional date in 2010.

C+M Spring Hilly 50

+

C+M Autumn Hilly 50? After all, it was something special.

iLB

Hello there
benborp said:
Some info that ilovebikes asked for:

Total altitude gain: 907m/2977ft
Distance: 53.3km/33.1m (although ahem we may have done ever so slightly more.)

thank you ben :smile:

i think its worth pointing out we didn't realise we would actually be up against the clock, a faster time was definately within our grasp

benborp said:
Who? I missed them completely and I might well be devastated.

Ben, it was only MacB and self. We codgeritated until we got lost beyond the remit of the course. Both feeling hungry we stumbled upon a delightful service station on the A24. Bizarrely, I bought a 'meal deal'. With the meal deal, I fancied a Snickers bar. The lady behind the counter said "There's an offer on them chocolate bars...2 for a £" 'Oh!' - I replied...'in that case I had better have two', upon which she launched into a tirade about people eating too much chocolate!:biggrin:
We cut out the nasty bits I'm afraid to say*, but I had quite a nice time, taking time to talk with MacB and went the day well. Box Hill was a breeze, and we sat around some more before making our separate ways home. My route sheet had dissolved in my sweaty pocket anyway guv - that was my excuse.
I meandered back across Epsom Downs - drank in the day and arrived for duty at my Mum's full of good spirit.
I hope everyone felt similar, and I agree about the vistas - stunning.
It was Morden enough for me...163.5kms today, under the sun. 10/10

* Lazy ageing git alert!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Mouseketeers? we were actually trying to follow the right route, with a combination of poor directional sense, lousy map reading, a garmin and talking too much, maybe we missed a turn or two.

I had a plan, leave home 0730, cycle 26 miles to start point, have leisurely breakfast, do 33 mile ride then, following more social interaction, ride the 26 miles home. Total for the day 85 miles, well spread out, quite reasonable.

Reality - took wrong turn 6 miles from home and began the adventure. Having planned my route in advance I'd meticulously written down every road name/No, distance to each turn point, type of junction, direction and overall cumulative distance. I'm still surprised when some roads fail to have any names on them at all. Yet I rechecked my directions, just now, and found that I'd typed right instead of left at one T junction. So 26 miles became 34 and, for some strange reason Teef had experienced similar directional issues. So we both arrived a little late at the start but dutifully headed off. The ride begins with a climb up Chapel Lane, I knew this because I'd already passed lots of cyclists when I came down it! 11 miles into the ride we knew we'd gone wrong but this was now 45 miles for the day and I still hadn't eaten. So food became priority and, in true Mouseketeer fashion, we dined 'al fresco' outside a garage on the A24. This was about 10 miles from the finish so an executive conference decided we'd dine in a leisurely manner and then head straight to Box Hill. What can I say, all seemed to work out, nice ride, good company and glorious weather. Teef also listened to my ramblings about bikes as I wrestle with which mid life crisis toy to buy myself. Plus I improved on the way home, the 26 miles only took me 32 miles!!! Just a slight detour and a bit of flirtation with the dreaded Guildford road network.

From what I can make out the only significant hill we missed was White Down. Chapel Lane I was 'lucky' enough to do twice as I went home that way. Leith Hill I found the hardest and Box Hill surprisingly benign, with all the hype I expected more. I'm still a big scaredy cat on the downhills, actually prefer going up them, sad I know. Thanks to Simon and the rest for the organisation and a great welcome when we finally appeared at Boxhill. Teef is already working on his selection of 'mystery' rides for next year:biggrin:

Oh, Simon, most disappointed not to be introduced to your delectable female companion. I have obviously severely underestimated your hidden talents!

14n395d.jpg

When you live in the smoke, views like this are treasured.

Top Bottom