Cheam and Morden Hilly 50 September 12th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The Cheam and Morden CTC Hilly 50 has rightly taken its place among the pantheon of cycling events. Shorter than the Tour de France, and less cobbly than the Paris-Roubaix, it is, nonetheless, the most ridiculous of all the Classics. Last year 190 cyclists made the mistake of riding it.

The 2009 edition was postponed due to ice on the roads in February, and, as a result, It's likely to be a smaller event than last year, but none the worse for that. Some of you who would have been turned to mush by the ride in February will be that much fitter for the task in September.

The start time is 10 a.m. on 12th September. The ride starts at Ryka's car park just north of Dorking on the A24.

For those of you who haven’t experienced the delights of the Hilly 50 before, think of it this way – it’s the Tour of the Surrey Hills without the boring flat bits. What goes up inevitably goes down, but, just as inevitably, what goes down will certainly go up. And then down and up again. Ranmore, Leith Hill, Friday Street, that horrible ride up from Ewhurst, White Down and Box Hill crammed into fifty kilometres. How much more fun could you want?

This is a ride for all. Elite riders go round in under two hours, but there will be those who will do it in just under four, and they’ll be smiling as they collapse at the finish. Riders vary in age from 18 to over 80

The Cheam and Morden CTC offer this nugget of joy to all at the bargain basement price of three quid, but, for those cyclists of a parsimonious disposition (and, rumour has it, there are a few) we offer a superduper discounted rate of two quid if you register in advance. You still pay on the line, but, by sending your name, telephone number, CTC number (if you have one) and club affiliation (if you have one) to me at fnrttc@yahoo.co.uk you will simply have to sign against your name, acknowledge the conditions, pick up your route sheet and guide, and then set off to make merry with your little ring.

http://www.ctc-maps.org.uk/routes/route/779/map

mike e

I quite fancy a go at this, will have to work out timings and so on...........

And now the obvious/ridiculous question:-

How "do-able" would it be on a fixed?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'll declare myself unavailable to referee that day and come along, if I may, as it's almost in my back garden. Details as per usual.

But as to making merry with my little ring.....

mistral

Guru
Yes, I'm in

Attempted the Tour of the Hills 110km Audax last year, almost got there but in the end DNF:blush:

I'm up and down these hills most weekends, so will be fun doing it in company

I can highly recommend, it's a beautiful part of the world and has some seriously challenging inclines

iLB

Hello there
I may be going on a little trip to Italy that weekend, just waiting to hear prices, but if not then i'm in :biggrin:

TimO

Guru
AdrianC said:
... I guess the penny might present a different level of challenge though.

The downs being possibly more interesting than the ups.:smile:

I'm almost tempted to do it, just to see how the Ordinary goes!

cycle.gif

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Recently riding the Black Mountains "short cut" on Lon Las Cymru up to Gospel Pass from Glasbury has forced me to revise my definition of steep, on the road at any rate. There are only so many times a chap can take being hit in the face by his road bikes stem in the space of 200m. I should have got off and walked but the sheep were watching and I couldn't fail in front of an audience...

gbs

Guru
I would like to do this but am conflicted; will check the website to see what other event C&M have organised.

des.o

Veteran
mike e said:
How "do-able" would it be on a fixed?

Unfortunately going to miss this but did a variation last night (geared) with a group from the fgss forum - a few of them were fixed and manged ok. But I'd have to say I was glad of my gears both on the ups and downs. Think 5/6 Ditchlings up and down in succession and you're on track. Go for it I say..

mike e

des.o said:
Unfortunately going to miss this but did a variation last night (geared) with a group from the fgss forum - a few of them were fixed and manged ok. But I'd have to say I was glad of my gears both on the ups and downs. Think 5/6 Ditchlings up and down in succession and you're on track. Go for it I say..

Still not a definate for this ride, but if I can make it I'll be on the fixed. We have a saying at work up here "what's the worse that can happen?" and where yet to find out, but it's bound to happen sooner or later....

Top Bottom